the Witching hour

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darknite23

darknite23

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

I heard somewhere that 3 am is the witching hour, where most spooks come out. Is this a myth or something? Can someone expound on this?

#2 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:08 AM

I had always heard that the witching hour was midnight. I found this:

In European folklore, the witching hour is the time when supernatural creatures such as witches, demons and ghosts are thought to be at their most powerful, and black magic at its most effective. This hour is typically midnight, and the term may now be used to refer to midnight, or any late hour, even without having the associated superstitious beliefs.

In neopaganism, it is sometimes used to refer solely to midnights occurring during a full moon, when a witch's power is supposedly at its greatest.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Witching_hour
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#3 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

LOL well wherever it's 3 Am somewhere it's also midnight somewhere else. IMO I don't think any sort of supernatural being need's a specific time to go on the prowl.

#4 Ilovestaind

Ilovestaind

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:01 PM

yeah, after seeing the movie, "The Exorcsim of Emily Rose" , if you have seen that movie, they emphasize that 3am is the witching hour, and that movie really scared me..LOL since it was based on a true story. For months after i watched that movie i couldn't sleep and when 3am came I got scared. lol also, in the Amityville movies, and the Amityville case, allegedly, I think George Lutz claimed, on one of the incidents that in the house around 3am is when the flies would appear in one of the rooms. But i do think its probably just a myth and folklore. I agree with Sarah, I don't think there is a specific time where spirits decide to reveal themselves..lol

#5 hurricane holly

hurricane holly

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Harry Potter, paranormal stuff (duh!), reading, watching cartoons, cooking, culturalizing myself (in other words, museums, opera, performing arts, etc), feeding a myspace addiction, googling random stuff, etc.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:25 AM

Supposedly, Christ died at 3:00 pm, and since 3:00 am is the "opposite" of the time humanity was saved, the demons and evil spirits are strongest then. Catholic stuff. Personally, I don't think time has much to do with it, except we're more easily spooked in the dark and are therefore probably more receptive to paranormal events.

#6 xstarchild

xstarchild

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

Hmph. I always wake up in the middle of the night, and it's always around 3am when I look at the clock. How comforting..... lol
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.

#7 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:52 AM

When I saw the Warren's give a lecture (the ghost hunters) They said that 12 mid was the witching hour and that 3 am the devils hour.

I was like, "great", now I am going to be afraid to wake up at certain times......thank you!

#8 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:57 AM

I also think that, meterologically speaking, 3 pm is the hottest part of the day, and 3 am is the coolest part of the night. Maybe because of the moisture in the air at this time of night, it allows spirits to manifest. Just a thought.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 poot56

poot56

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

yeah, after seeing the movie, "The Exorcsim of Emily Rose" , if you have seen that movie, they emphasize that 3am is the witching hour, and that movie really scared me..LOL since it was based on a true story. For months after i watched that movie i couldn't sleep and when 3am came I got scared. lol also, in the Amityville movies, and the Amityville case, allegedly, I think George Lutz claimed, on one of the incidents that in the house around 3am is when the flies would appear in one of the rooms. But i do think its probably just a myth and folklore. I agree with Sarah, I don't think there is a specific time where spirits decide to reveal themselves..lol

I've seen and heard spirits in the mornings (like 6:00 am) and seeing a spirit at 11 something. No I don't believe in the 3:00 belief system. :ghost:

#10 Bel_Gazou

Bel_Gazou

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:24 AM

I heard somewhere that 3 am is the witching hour, where most spooks come out. Is this a myth or something? Can someone expound on this?

I just think that ghosts (I don't know about other paranormal creatures) like it quiet, for the most part. Too many noisy human activities and they seem to shy away. When is it more quiet than at 3am?

In my nabe, the joint's still jumpin' at midnight. At 4am the bars close and let out their noisy, drunk clientele; 3am is just right. If the shadow people are going to show up on the street, or inside, for that matter, that's when they'll start to show.

I work in a nursing home. A resident who lived on the top most floor died one night. I encountered what I believe was his spirit, one day, not on the unit that he lived but by the door that let out to the roof. This area was just a short stairway from his unit but was a quiet area.

#11 pennyclarkbabson

pennyclarkbabson

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

When I saw the Warren's give a lecture (the ghost hunters) They said that 12 mid was the witching hour and that 3 am the devils hour.

I was like, "great", now I am going to be afraid to wake up at certain times......thank you!

My thoughts on this are: Midnight is the hour... see spirits dont come out a lot during the day because the the energy of the day with all its activity is very thick and heavey. everyone is rushy but at night the energy gets thinner people are rested and relxed and this ables the spirits to come out more.
they tell by the thickness of the energy because actually the other side ,, good or bad has no concept of time :clap:

Penny Clark Babson
http://www.impressionsbypenny.com
http://www.pennyclarkbabson.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users