Gettysburg Threads

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

As many may have notice, we like to keep things here, at GV neat and tidy. We often merge similar threads in order to save space and to keep things simple. The exception to this is Gettysburg threads. There are so many. It seems to be one of the most popular haunted locations in the U.S.. I've been there myself and can attest to the paranormal activity, though my love for Gettysburg goes far beyond ghost hunting.

Because of the near impossibilty to merge all Gettysburg threads (or threads dealing with specific areas in Gettysburg i.e. Sach's Bridge, Little Round Top, Devil's Den, Farnsworth House etc), I'm asking you all to do me a HUGE favor.

If your looking to share an experience you've had, or looking to ask questions about Gettysburg, please make use of our wonderful GV search function to see if there is an exsisting thread pertaining to your topic or location of interest. This could also be true of any location or subject outside of Gettysburg.

I personally would be very greatful, and it would help us to keep Ghost Village tidy and maybe revive some great older topics.

Thank You for taking the time to read this,
DukeofBoogie,
Moderator,
Haunted Locations

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 26 November 2006 - 11:41 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#2 pyropheonix

pyropheonix

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:ghost hunting racing asnd all out fun

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

as to g/b we went out to the location of the war and got some very interesting feedback on it not to joke around about a historical place but one evening of a 3 day investigation there it was about 3 am when one of my team member Derick was out with the evp when he got a little more than he had expected all of the sudden we herd what sounded like a Cannon fire next thing we herd was him screaming over the radio and running full speed ahead Derick had nearly killed him self getting out of there he had BAD_WORD his pants and was shaking like a skytso but after we got him calmed down enough to tell us what went on we decided to call it a night and go back to the base to review the info well sure enough we got great feed back from the evp we herd a mans voice steady as she goes ready aim fire then Derick's shrill screams oh BAD_WORD there shooting at me that is on of the very few times i think i had ever laughfed that hard in my life to this day we still give him hell over it but its all in good strides BTW i talked to some of the regional groups and i and my team well the ones that are still able to go are getting back together and doing a comeback sweep of the north east Texas area would love some feed from local groups possibly check some locations with them if all goes well might stay back well thats it for now got to go clean the dust off the equipment and get ready for the come back

Edited by pyropheonix, 15 July 2009 - 08:07 AM.

#3 wawa

wawa

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

as to g/b we went out to the location of the war and got some very interesting feedback on it not to joke around about a historical place but one evening of a 3 day investigation there it was about 3 am when one of my team member Derick was out with the evp when he got a little more than he had expected all of the sudden we herd what sounded like a Cannon fire next thing we herd was him screaming over the radio and running full speed ahead Derick had nearly killed him self getting out of there he had BAD_WORD his pants and was shaking like a skytso but after we got him calmed down enough to tell us what went on we decided to call it a night and go back to the base to review the info well sure enough we got great feed back from the evp we herd a mans voice steady as she goes ready aim fire then Derick's shrill screams oh BAD_WORD there shooting at me that is on of the very few times i think i had ever laughfed that hard in my life to this day we still give him hell over it but its all in good strides BTW i talked to some of the regional groups and i and my team well the ones that are still able to go are getting back together and doing a comeback sweep of the north east Texas area would love some feed from local groups possibly check some locations with them if all goes well might stay back well thats it for now got to go clean the dust off the equipment and get ready for the come back

Could it be possible, that like other battle fields, world wide, Gettysburg and other spots of the civil war is one big sponge who instad of water absorbs the energy of the people who are killed?

#4 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

There are many possibilities to why battlefields and where great loss of life and tragic death occurrs to still be confined to certain areas. Just to name a few...life was cut short in their prime, unexpectedly, that they choose to stay because they are not finished with their mission or purpose, never made it home. (much of that is called a residual haunting) There are also some spirits that choose not leave and will infact interact with the living. (an intelligent haunting) There are also magnetic field energies that cross and produce power points and ley lines. It has also given theory too certain types of rocks and minerals act as a conduit for spiritual energy. As well as the flow of running water which produces a form of energy that spirits can attain and enhance their own energies to make themselves known.

How did you get permission to get onto a battlefield field premisis at 3 a.m.? That's very tough to do. Julie Keller
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#5 rockingchair

rockingchair

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

Let me ask you guys something. The single most deadliest battle in the Civil War was Antietam in 1862. Around 24,000 men were lost in one day. You would think that there would be ghosts around there. Just wondering if there are reports of spirits at Antietam (Sharpsburg, MD)?

sidenote - Antietam was the deadliest day not deadliest battle. G-burg was a three day battle but Antietam only lasted for one day.

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:45 AM

While not as well known there has been activity reported there. I did an investigation near there last year in which an investigator was shoved to the ground and held there by forces unknown. She felt that it was trying to smother her in the muddy ground. When a couple of us reached her laying in the mud she said that whatever was holding her down released its grip and she was able to get up on her own. Pictures and recordings were done but nothing was captured either on video or audio.

While not on the battlefield itself, the event took place near the remaining stonework of an old barn less than 1/4 mile away that was standing at the time of the conflict. I personally have done investigations near the bridge and along the road at Antietam.

#7 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to the paranormal,secret societies,fast cars, busty women, human behavior, reading, painting, art, magic/magick(high or low),withchcraft/wicca,candles and hot tubs. Just ask, if you are curious and want the truth, not what you want to hear.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Oh my, did I mess up? I can always go back and remove my comments if that needs to be done. I always check to see if anotthher post exists before posting any but if i did miss one, I'll check and if it needs to be deleated for continunity, feel free to do so. No hard feelings here.

#8 MzClementine

MzClementine

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Ghost anything paranormal. Energy, empath, dreams, psychic, tarot, crystals. Metaphysical science. Living, loving and learning. Things unexplained too.

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Arriving at the battle field was terrible. I was on a school trip and once I stood up and started off the bus. I was hit with a huge head ache and sick tummy. By the time I was off the bus I had tears of pain and fell to my knees and began to get sick.. One of the mothers picked me up and told my teacher she would wait with me on the bus. When we were on the bus I was in shock and confused at how sick I became. The woman assured me that soon it would pass. She stroked my hair and just talked to me and calmed me down. A few minutes passed and I felt much better. She spoke of being sensitive. I knew what she meant because growing up I have had many experiences. I could not step onto that battle field that day. And I was so thankful for this mom who knew what to do. When we finished at the battle field we went to a place that was set up as if you had lived in the era. Two places stood out. And later I found out that these two places were partially original. Of course with wear and tear of time they needed TLC and rehab work. One of the places was a school house that was the shape of an octagon. This was so there were no corners. They thought that evil spirits hid in corners. When we walked in the teacher that greeted us asked for us to take a seat. I sat on the high tier in the back of the class. When we were all settle in the teacher handed out slate boards and chalk and began class as if they were having class in those days. When the lesson started all was quiet. I heard laughter.. Giggles and talking. I looked around and no one was talking. Well I started to hear a knocking sound and something like dragging or scraping sound. As I sat looking around my braid was pulled this happened multiple times. The mom that had helped me had her eye on me. She looked and said it will be okay. I said to her what is this? She went to speak back and the teacher raised her head and said no talking. My braid was tugged again and then I ran to the teacher’s desk and asked if I could sit at this desk facing the teacher. The teacher said no.. Hunny that’s for the dunce of the class. The kids laughed at me but I could care less. I thought if I sat right in front of the teacher my hair wouldn't get pulled. BAM.. My braid was tugged so hard it brought tears to my eyes and at a moment’s notice the mom who had been helping me was at my side. The teacher looked at me in shock. I was allowed to go outside with the mom and the teacher asked for us to come back in after the class. Well once class was over the teacher invited is back in. I was leery and worried that they would pull my hair. The teacher asked me.. Hunny what happened to you. I spoke of hearing the laughter and hearing a knocking sound and almost a scraping sound after. She pulled out this large wooded circle and a wooded club. She hit the wheel and said was it this. I said YES!!! Wow that's it!! She said this is another original piece from the past. She explained that she didn't have many children that heard this but once in a while someone did hear this. She asked me why I had come to the front. The mom spoke up and said I saw her hair being pulled. The teacher said yes I saw this too. She explained that there were or seemed to be children that still inhabit the school. I was like WHY are the hurting me. She asked me what things I felt in the class. I said fun and a buzz in the air. She asked me if she could join me on a walk through the town. We walked about and enjoyed fresh biscuits they made and found ourselves at the mill house. Once inside the women were talking. I instantly walked up to this huge stone mill I touched it and said wow!!! This is old and loved. All the woman looked at me and whispered about themselves. I thought they were saying bad things and kind of backed off. The mill woman walked up and said what else can you feel. I touched the mill and felt happiness and a well-earned comfort. I told them that this was a piece that was in use allot. The woman agreed and said this is one of the original pieces of the mill. The woman gathered around me and all were excited about my findings and experiences. The mom spoke of my first encounter and up to the mill. I asked them if I was a weirdo.. The all were so kind and said no NO!! Hun you have something special. I said to them well if something special makes you sick and pulled your hair I don't want to be special. The mom hugged me along with the ladies of the tour and all of them were so kind and tried to convey this was a gift and sometimes gift are not always what we wish for or want to experience. I knew what they meant but was in denial about certain things. I wondered if one could have such gifts if they were normal. I just wanted to be like everyone else. As I look back at this experience what leaps and bounds I have taken to the point of today. Normal is in the eye of the beholder. And beholding such things was a gift. Unlike anything wrapped in pretty paper with a beautiful bow. Nothing in life is as what other seems to be in their world.. In life if many deny or dismiss things such as this. Because explaining this might make them out to be crazy. Well crazy or not it is up to yourself to hold onto the things that have been given to you. So many things in life happen for a reason. One foot in front of the other. And a path await you as you journey through life. Well that day goes down in my book as a learning lesson and an experience I will never forget.

#9 Thefallen

Thefallen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

I went there for part of our honey moon and during the day just walking through there you got the feeling of being watched everywhere you went especially near the devils den or snipers hole. I mean you probably have alot of people say they always saw something, but I did out of the corner of my eye. But weird thing I was drawn there almost and felt like I had been there before but was in almost like a trance. it was weird, I didn't want to leave, but when I did, I think a part of me almost felt like it was missing. I had family on both sides and being in those hills seemed comforatable.

#10 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

[

While not as well known there has been activity reported there. I did an investigation near there last year in which an investigator was shoved to the ground and held there by forces unknown. She felt that it was trying to smother her in the muddy ground. When a couple of us reached her laying in the mud she said that whatever was holding her down released its grip and she was able to get up on her own. Pictures and recordings were done but nothing was captured either on video or audio.

While not on the battlefield itself, the event took place near the remaining stonework of an old barn less than 1/4 mile away that was standing at the time of the conflict. I personally have done investigations near the bridge and along the road at Antietam.

That would make me uneasy about going there. I've watched programs on the site and it does look amazing. The pictures they showed gave me a better understanding of just how bad it was for these men. It is no wonder why there are so many experiences.
Right this way to my haunted space.

#11 Phantom Hitchhiker

Phantom Hitchhiker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Everything from the "paranormal", no idea how many books I have on the topic and related topics in my library. Collecting "edged weapons", no, my wife will not allow any firearms in the house.

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

Havin' been a reenactor since I was about 7 yo., have been at Gettysburg almost every year, from the last week in June till the second week in July, thanks to my late father and mothers, who both had ancestors that fought there and were lucky enough to make it through and surrendered with the rest of the Army of Northern Virginia, while some ended up at a small location  called Bentonville and faced Sherman's army. Needless to say, things  didn't go well for General Johnston and final surrender took place at Chapel Hill, N.C. So, I have roamed over about every major battlefield from Atlanta to Gettysburg, oh, I guess, for about 60 yrs. and thought a lot of Civil War battlefields are "haunted", none compare to Gettysburg. I have often debated about writing a book of what I "saw" and "heard" but, frankly, I doubt  anyone would take me seriously if I cited what I have been exposed to over the years. Is it haunted, you bet it is! The battlefield as well as the town have their share of "ghosts".  Take the time to visit for about a week, anytime,  and you might stumble on to "something" you might not expect or maybe you will.

Ghosts are a fact of life. Just because we choose to or not to believe in them makes totally no difference to them or  so I "have been told".

#12 loganinkosovo

loganinkosovo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

Let me ask you guys something. The single most deadliest battle in the Civil War was Antietam in 1862. Around 24,000 men were lost in one day. You would think that there would be ghosts around there. Just wondering if there are reports of spirits at Antietam (Sharpsburg, MD)?

sidenote - Antietam was the deadliest day not deadliest battle. G-burg was a three day battle but Antietam only lasted for one day.

http://www.ghostvill...?showtopic=7230

http://www.militaryg...m/antietam.html

http://www.hauntedam...ields/Antietam/

http://wizzley.com/b...etam-hauntings/

http://www.fhwa.dot....re/back1105.cfm

Yes, Antietam is haunted.

The only difference between Socialism and National Socialism is the snappy uniforms. - Logan "Aside from ending Slavery, Fascism and Communist World Domination, War has never solved anything!""For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute! But it's "Savior of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot." - Rudyard Kipling"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."---George Orwell"Always Remember-All Lessons in Life are Expensive.....and the last one costs you everything you have." - Logan"Socialism is just Communism without a Dictator....and you can always find a Dictator!" - Logan"An Armed Man is a Citizen. An Unarmed Man is a Subject. Subject to anything anyone wants to do to him." - Logan

#13 Phantom Hitchhiker

Phantom Hitchhiker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Everything from the "paranormal", no idea how many books I have on the topic and related topics in my library. Collecting "edged weapons", no, my wife will not allow any firearms in the house.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Refer to "The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits" by Rosemary Guiley , pp.18-20, for a complete discussion of the battle and subsequent "hauntings" and "haunted sites". Never saw anything there, though have been there more times than I can recall.  Some locations are simply not "comfortable" to me both physically and "mentally". "Bloody Lane" being the worst.

Ghosts are a fact of life. Just because we choose to or not to believe in them makes totally no difference to them or  so I "have been told".

#14 loganinkosovo

loganinkosovo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

This should give you a much better idea of why these battlefields are so haunted.

This is a documentary of the aftermath of the battle of Gettysburg.

The three day battle was horrific but the aftermath on the people of Gettysburg was much worse.

Havin' been a reenactor since I was about 7 yo., have been at Gettysburg almost every year, from the last week in June till the second week in July, thanks to my late father and mothers, who both had ancestors that fought there and were lucky enough to make it through and surrendered with the rest of the Army of Northern Virginia, while some ended up at a small location  called Bentonville and faced Sherman's army. Needless to say, things  didn't go well for General Johnston and final surrender took place at Chapel Hill, N.C. So, I have roamed over about every major battlefield from Atlanta to Gettysburg, oh, I guess, for about 60 yrs. and thought a lot of Civil War battlefields are "haunted", none compare to Gettysburg. I have often debated about writing a book of what I "saw" and "heard" but, frankly, I doubt  anyone would take me seriously if I cited what I have been exposed to over the years. Is it haunted, you bet it is! The battlefield as well as the town have their share of "ghosts".  Take the time to visit for about a week, anytime,  and you might stumble on to "something" you might not expect or maybe you will.

you could always e-publish under a nom de plume...... or in this case a nom de guerre.  :)

The only difference between Socialism and National Socialism is the snappy uniforms. - Logan "Aside from ending Slavery, Fascism and Communist World Domination, War has never solved anything!""For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute! But it's "Savior of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot." - Rudyard Kipling"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."---George Orwell"Always Remember-All Lessons in Life are Expensive.....and the last one costs you everything you have." - Logan"Socialism is just Communism without a Dictator....and you can always find a Dictator!" - Logan"An Armed Man is a Citizen. An Unarmed Man is a Subject. Subject to anything anyone wants to do to him." - Logan

#15 Phantom Hitchhiker

Phantom Hitchhiker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

Me writing anything is wishful thinking. One has to have the skill    to do so and be creative s well as interesting. My paintings are both, know that sounds way too egotistical for my own good. Now, if I had the skill of Mr. Kunstler, to to paintings on the topic of the Civil War, battles, heroes, scenes of beauty, romance, violence, and dearth. If I could be as talented in writing as he is in painting, just fantasy on my part but I do love buying and collecting his works of art.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users