Old hag disorder

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 danny

danny

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:50 AM

I suffered this a few months ago and again this morning 4 the 2nd time.
The 1st was late at night I remember waking up on my back then trying to sit up to see what time it was but it was as if my limbs were made of lead. Then a feeling fear swept over me like someone was watching me just out side my field of vision, but I couldn't tern my head to face them. I was like this for about 2 mins then I regained control of my body
Today was different it was early in the morning paralysed with a feeling that something was sat on my pillow next 2 me. I know I had to move so I forced my arms up I could feel the rising, but when I should have been able to see them there was only a void which I can only describe as the cloaking from Predator. Then the feeling left me and my arms were on my chest.
So I was just wondering if any one else had gone though this kind of thing

#2 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:32 AM

Hiya Crows  :)
Yes i've experienced this before, it's a very frightening experience isn't it? I believe it's called sleep paralysis and there is a reason it happens I think. I did some research on it myself when I had it. There are some websites about it out there, I'll try find them for you. Somebody else on here might know more about it.
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers you will unfold. What are you waiting for? Spread your wings and soar-Christina Aguilera

#3 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:36 AM

Found this about it, hope it helps.http://www.dreamsnightmares.com/sleepparalysis.html
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers you will unfold. What are you waiting for? Spread your wings and soar-Christina Aguilera

#4 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 06:02 AM

There are scientific and supernatural theories on why Old Hag syndrome happens. I tried to present both here:

http://www.ghostvill..._11302002.shtml
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#5 NineBeanRows

NineBeanRows

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:52 PM

I've experienced Old Hag a number of times over the past several years, the most recent being about 3 months ago or so, but I have never sensed or seen any definite sort of presence around or on me when it's happening.  Typically, I wake, can see what's in front of my face, but for a short time, I can neither move nor scream...

I didn't know anything about it, including its names and possible causes, until I stumbled onto an article about sleep paralysis about 2 months ago.

Since then, I've asked lots of people, and I was amazed to discover that, indeed, many of them have had experiences very similar to mine.
Your pal, NineBeanRows

#6 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 05:41 AM

I get that too NineBeanRows (love your nickname btw!) When I wake I'm in my dream still and normally am trying to get away from something. If I try to move though it's impossible! Very frightening.

#7 Kellerz

Kellerz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 10:44 AM

My teacher talkd about this in one of my lectures  ( i actually got out of bed that day) suggesting that the old hag disorder is because when we enter REM sleep, which is where we dream our bodys are paralysed apart from our eyes, so that whilst dreaming we dont act it out and hurt ourselves.The suggestion is that when people are waking from REM sleep the paralysis of the body is not waring off as soon as it should, and so people cannot move and may feel like they are being held down.
Hide me from me, fill these holes with eyes for mine are not mine. Hide my head and need, for i am no good, so dead in life, so much time. (Stan Rice 'Cannibal')Just call me Mrs Willard

#8 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,912 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:45 AM

just a bump, we have lot of discussion on the Old Hag of late! Perhaps this could be of help.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#9 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:37 AM

I've had sleep paralysis too, I remember feeling a black dog sitting on my stomach, my advice is to count to three and try to move your finger...
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

#10 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:23 PM

I think our original poster was a passerby. I do hope this has some info thats of help to those who do suffer from this though.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#11 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:23 PM

And why do they call it old hagg disorder?I just don't know what the symptoms have to do with an old hagg. Can't we name it old...What kind of male name can I give it?lol
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#12 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:32 PM

Rip Van Winkle Syndrome? :)
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#13 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:11 PM

Oh ya that's a good one.lol
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,912 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:32 AM

lol Mykie.....

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#15 Daewen

Daewen

Thinks Smilies Taste Like Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:singing, travel, music ( death metal, jrock, visual kei, punk, goth, deathcore ), Wicca, fashion, nature, cooking, goth, Japan, cats, glbt rights, baking, anne rice vampires, tolkien elves, ghosts...

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:03 AM

it's called old hag syndrome because people used to associate it with witches (what they thought witches were) and thought that an old hag was there sitting on their stomach or near them making them paralyzed...
http://myworld.ebay....riakuroneko0489 Buy my clothes! Take a look.

http://www.dresm.com/ariakuroneko0489 Take a look at my other cheaper clothes too!

http://soundcloud.com/astrid-essex Trying this out as well. Some of my music on soundcloud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users