The Official Geezer Club

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
377 replies to this topic

#31 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:00 PM

my daughter got silly putty today, and she's got the easy bake oven. The Mrs. and I are about the same age and I know I can remember a lot of what you're talking about. I tell my kids about the time before cable, remote controls or video games and their eyes glaze over.

Oh honey, let those young'uns talk to a dinosaur like me that can remember life before television!

#32 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:03 AM

Woo doggies! This takes me back. The dolls in the perfume bottles were Liddle Kiddles. I had a whole bunch of them. Sen-sen - anyone remember that stuff? Or Fruit Stripe Gum - Yipes Stripes! How about "Go Go, Go Go Gorilla..." Kukla, Fran, and Ollie or The Ed Sullivan Show - I saw the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Supremes, The Dave Clark Five, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Aretha, and of course, Topogigio. Everytime they talk about the death toll in Iraq, I think of watching Walter Kronkite and seeing the number of wounded and the number of killed listed in the corner of the screen - and watching the numbers get bigger as the news went on. Oh yeah, I had a spirograph too. Not the little flimsy things now, but a huge set with about 25 different little wheels and a set of six pens with different colored ink. That was one of my favorite toys.
Saturday night tv was Gunsmoke and Jackie Gleason!!
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#33 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:21 AM

Woo doggies! This takes me back. The dolls in the perfume bottles were Liddle Kiddles. I had a whole bunch of them. Sen-sen - anyone remember that stuff? Or Fruit Stripe Gum - Yipes Stripes! How about "Go Go, Go Go Gorilla..." Kukla, Fran, and Ollie or The Ed Sullivan Show - I saw the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Supremes, The Dave Clark Five, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Aretha, and of course, Topogigio. Everytime they talk about the death toll in Iraq, I think of watching Walter Kronkite and seeing the number of wounded and the number of killed listed in the corner of the screen - and watching the numbers get bigger as the news went on. Oh yeah, I had a spirograph too. Not the little flimsy things now, but a huge set with about 25 different little wheels and a set of six pens with different colored ink. That was one of my favorite toys.
Saturday night tv was Gunsmoke and Jackie Gleason!!

Wow, Topogiggio was the king!!!! I adored him.

I was a huge "Monkees" fan. I think I was about 10 years old when my parents took me to see the them at Forest Hills Stadium (that was really sweet of them). It was a trip. I couldn't hear anything the Monkees were playing...all I heard were young girls screaming. I remember the police taking the girls that were storming the stage and just flinging them away from the stage. I was deaf for days after. It was heaven. :lol:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#34 antenna

antenna

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:28 AM

Did anyone have one of those "Crazy Cars"? It was round with two big wheels on either side and you had a handle directly on each wheel and you go either go in circles or straight or whatever. I always wanted one but didn't ever get one!

Oh, yeah! I was the neighborhood QUEEN of the Crazy Car! I wish they made them for adults. I loved that one!

I also had a Marvel the Mustang. There is a photo somewhere of me being about 3 or 4 in a pink and frilly dress with black patten leather shoes, sittin on Marvel with a holster belt and 6 shooters threatening the photographer.

I'm only just 40 this past fall, but that qualifies me for geezerdom, doesn't it? (Finally , something good comes of this!) :rolleyes:
Posted Image BOO!

#35 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:43 AM

Welcome all new fellow geezers!

YES YES YES Mrs. Beasley, Liddle Kiddles, Baby Beans slept with me til i was well into my teens.

Yup, Monkees fan here too!

ALL THIS STUFF I remember! Oh, like I said before, I WANT MY CHILDHOOD BACK!

It's too bad the kids today can't experience the same things we did when we were kids.

I remember when cassette recorders came out, woo hoo! We had fun for hours with that thingie!

:lol: :D :weeee: :weeee:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#36 TallulahB

TallulahB

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MY LIKES:<br />Reading, Meeting New People, learning, learning, and learning (One thing they can't take away is your education)*** HOCKEY!! ( RED WINGS!!),***((even though Steve Yzerman retired...the Greatest Game will go on)) I have always had an interest in the paranormal, but then again, there are some scary people here in the land of the living.

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:23 AM

I forgot about a lot of the items mentioned in the posts...Good Job Everyone!! I remember getting Spiralgraph and endlessly making those fancy circles. At the time, it seemed that my creations with Spiralgraph were endless. I also remember a batterized pen. I don't recall the name of it, but it was a bumble bee, and the pen swirled in circles as you made the coolest swirly designs. I do remember losing control of it and it clunking on the table. It was hard for me to operate and hold onto, but it was cool. The year I got the bumble pen is the same year I got the coolest Cracker Jack ring. I remember thinking that it was the prettiest ring I had ever seen. Hey...why did Cracker Jack quit putting the cool toys in the Cracker Jack boxes? I have told my child about the cool things we got in the C/J boxes...she's not impressed with what they have in them today. She asked me why they quit. I'm guessing choking hazzards.
"The will to believe is powerful" ...(Houdini)

#37 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:33 AM

WHAT Tallulah Bankhead????? They stopped putting cool things in the cracker jack boxes? AHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!! Darn whiny complaining parents. I wonder exactly HOW many children of our age ever choked on a cracker jack toy and died.

Please tell me they still sell Bazooka Joe bubble gum. :blink:

I loved spirograph too. And etch-a-sketch. OH, remember colorforms? Those magneticy paper doll thingies.

OHHHHHH and Lite Brite!

:lol: :D :weeee:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#38 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:54 AM

I absolutely adored colorforms!!! I must have had 15 different sets and never grew tired of them!!

I also had a "Tiny Tears" doll...Anybody remember her???

And here's another thing...I remember, as a child, we were outside all the time!! We set up a hopscotch game on the sidewalk, rode our bikes all over town and climbed the tree in my best friend's backyard. Lord, we would spend hours up in that tree just talking and reading!

And speaking of reading.....Nancy Drew was our favorite series.

We were in love with The Beatles...listened to their RECORDS over and over...No tapes, no CD's....vinyl records. And we had little transistor radios so we could be sure not to miss a minute of "Cousin Brucie's" radio show. He was a great DJ out of New York. His station was WABC, and he used to call it "WABeatleC"......

Seems like yesterday, and at the same time it seems like 100 years ago!
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#39 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:10 AM

Alright, I freely admit that most of my childhood music was from the late 70's, early 80's, but when you sit there watching a retrospective of Depeche Mode and some pencil thin teenager asks who they are, dang, I might be only 31, but that made me feel old. And when same said teenager twig said Simon le Bon looked OLD! <weeps> He's only in his 40's for heavan's sake!

Get this. I walked into a store a while back, and the new retro is the stuff I wore in high school! I STILL HAVE SOME OF THAT STUFF! I'M ONLY 31!!!!!!! I'M NOT RETRO YET!!!!!!!

Toys, well, Hot Wheels, Tonka Trucks, G.I. Joe figurines were what my brother played with that I recall. I had Barbie after Barbie, one had curly hair that you could straighted with a special lotion, wash it out and it was curly again. I had Silly Putty, and an Easy Bake Oven, one of those little sewing machines by Fisher Price, a knitting kit, woodburning kit, Lawn Darts, more dolls than I can honestly remember, ooo....one of those rock tumbler kits too!

I loved the Muppets (there's an Independant Christian station in the Toronto area that airs the Muppet Show, they used to air it at 7 pm, but moved it to 4 pm...I was peeved until I got laid off, now I can watch it again), The Carol Burnett Show was guarenteed to send me into laughter for the entire show, The Smothers Brothers Variety Show, Fat Albert, Transformers (the ORIGINAL show, and yes I went to see the movie...I have it on VHS somewhere), G-Force (had such a crush on Jason), Thundercats, Bugs Bunny and Tweety (BEFORE they cut out the good parts where say...Wile E. Cototye landed smack at the bottom of a ravine and walked away like an accordian, or Elmer Fudd blasted Daffy's bill to the other side of his head).

I remember when Much Music started up....and I watched a show on City TV called Toronto Rocks with VJ J.D. Roberts (he's now a news caster somewhere down in the US), my dad used to turn off this one video by Yes, thought it was too violent. Erica Em used to be my fashion Icon, and I had a fit of jealousy when she interviewed Duran Duran.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#40 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

Ahhhhhhhh...remember the smell of a new vinyl record? The solid kerchunk of an 8 track tape changing tracks? Running outside and twisting the TV antenna pole so you could watch your favorite TV show after school, in black & white of course. :lol:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#41 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:05 PM

OOOHHH YESSS! The smell of vinyl LP's! I got my first turntable when I was 8 and I played my siblings 45's of The Beatles, The Ventures, The Beach Boys, and the guy who sang "North to Alaska". I still had eight tracks up unitl 1985. Remember how the lable would wear off where it rubbed? I remember when cable TV first came out! Remember Petticoat Junction? Green Acres? The Monkeys came on Saturday afternoons. Now Friday nites were for the Brady Bunch, Partridge Family and Laugh In. Hee Haw came on Saturday afternoon and Sunday as Bridget mentioned was Wonderful World of Disney.

Now the sad note: My daughter is 6 years old. By the time I was six I knew how to ride a bicycle. I lived on a farm so I was outside by myself by the time I was 3 (no kidding). Then at one point when my folks divorced we moved to a city and I still was outside all time. Even tho we live in a very safe area and neighborhood, myself and the neighbors are reluctant to let our kids go outside and play by themselves unless they are in an enclosed fence in the back yard. But we don't like to let them go in front without supervision. HEck when I was a kid I would have 'owned' this neighborhood by the time I was 5!
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#42 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

I know what you mean Hawkie. My whole neighborhood was FILLED with kids and we would play outside all day and all night til it was time to go to bed, while our mother's sat around having coffee and discussing god knows what! We would have our wagons, and on the 4th we would have parades and light off smoke bombs and those snakes that the dad's would always get mad because they left the big black snake marks on the side walk. The older brother's (who were probably only about 8) used to light off M 80-s. One 4th we lit my neighbors awning on fire by throwing a sprinkler on it (it was an accident of course). But no harm was ever brought onto ourselves.

The Ventures: Ghost Rider's in the Sky! Our favorite song, we use to ride around on brooms in the living room pretending we were witches!

Twilight Zone and Outer Limits! They rocked! I still watch em when i get up in the middle of the night.

#43 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:40 PM

Orbie, i bet you still have that 8 track tape player too!

I think I finally gave away my Chrissy and VELVET dolls when i moved from my last house. SOmetimes in the 80's, my sister and her friends turned Chrissie into a punker in a saran wrap dress and stuck safety pins through her ears :-(

#44 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

That's funny, Bridgie! A punk rocker Chrissie.

#45 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:04 PM

Has anyone seen my goblet? I've seemed to have misplaced it......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users