Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Haunted Travel - Our Topic of the Month!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

Dear Ghostvillagers,

As Spring rolls around here at the Ghostvillage.com world headquarters, my thoughts are turning to better weather and the ability to travel without too much interference from Mother Nature. Ever since I published my first book, The World’s Most Haunted Places, way back in 2004, I’ve understood that there are plenty of us who incorporate haunted locations into our travel plans.

For me, it started back in 2001, when I was working in marketing for a software company in Connecticut. I had to travel for my job, which is always a great opportunity if you can get it. On one trip I was sent to Paris, France, for a conference. As work conferences go, you’re busy most of the day, but there are chunks of the day when you get some time to yourself. While some of my colleagues were heading to the local bars, I had arranged a visit to the Catacombs of Paris--an underground network of tunnels through solid limestone that contain millions of human bones from over 60 generations of Parisians.

Down below the city, in the dark, quiet tunnels, with no sounds save for the crunch of gravel under my shoes and the occasional drip, drip, drip, of water as it makes its way through 20 meters of limestone above me, I was alone among the remains of the dead. It was there that I saw my first ghost--a dark apparition that looked more like a shadow than a person, passing in front of me as I walked along rows of countless, neatly-stacked bones. If not a ghost, I have no other word for what I experienced that day.

I returned home from Paris and wrote about that place, that experience. I later included it in my first book. People would ask me, “How do you have the money to go to some of these haunts around the world?” The answer is simple: I don’t. But I take advantage of travel opportunities. During family vacations I try to scope out at least one haunt to see. And now I take my daughter. I have no intention of trying to push her into the family business or anything, but she’s naturally curious. If she wants to explore some creepy location with me, I’m not stopping her.

Two weeks ago I had to travel through nine different states for my work on the Ghost Adventures show on the Travel Channel. I had the opportunity to see a bunch of different haunts within the towns I scouted. I love the many textures and layers of these haunts. I feel the way art lovers feel as they wander a museum looking at paintings. Seeing the influences, the various brush strokes, and trying to understand what each painting, or in this case, each haunt means in the bigger picture.

Travel makes you grow as a person, and learn like no other experience. When you incorporate legends and haunts into your travel, you not only experience a location, but also its history and a deeper side of the community. You get below the surface. This month, I’d love to hear about some of your haunted travel in our Message Board of the Month!

Supernaturally yours,

Jeff Belanger
Mayor of Ghostvillage.com
Twitter: @THEJeffBelanger
Facebook: Jeff Belanger
YouTube: www.youtube.com/legendtripping

Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#2 saxymandan

saxymandan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

I am seeking to find some of the haunted places in the Midwest. I will be working there in Indianapolis for 5 weeks and able to travel around the area, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, etc.  Any tips on haunts up there?  

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

I also do hit the occasional haunted spot, or location in my travels.  The level of activity I encounter though is almost zero.  I have investigated Waverly Hills, Winchester House, Alcatraz, Fort  East Martello, and even Dungeon Rock up in your neck of the woods.  Plus a few in between!

Like I said though, not much in the way of activity was encountered.  I believe this is because most public locations do not really provide for the level of investigation needed to do a thorough study.  Time is often a factor, and the inability to do the preliminary work needed to actually do a complete investigation due to time constraints is a factor.  I have done a few more indepth investigations closer to home at public locations (Prospect Place, Nemacolin castle, etc.) where I could do the additional work and found a few things that were a bit unusual.  Most of my best evidence though comes from private cases where I am dedicated to the investigation rather than doing it as a part of a vacation or other event.  This is because the indepth investigation allows for return trips or follow-up when something needs additional study.  Plus having better background helps in analyzing evidence recovered.

But I still consider new places when the opportunity arises!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users