which one of the three are the real thing
ghost hunters, ghost hunters ints. or ghost adventures

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Every one of them is a TV show first. I don't have much faith in how any of the shows conduct research. If I had to pick one paranormal TV show for the quality of research I would go with Fact or Faked on SyFy. Many of the other shows don't even use their equipment properly so how can one accept their research as legitimate?

One must keep in mind though that all of them are entertainment first. As such to conduct an investigation as it should they would be off the air in no time due to sheer boredom.

#3 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Although we don't have TV, as such, in our home, I am familiar with these shows, and thank you Caverat for your always expert input. While on the subject, are there any research books (of any era) on the research into the paranormal, that you would recommend?
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

I can't say I recommend any paranormal books in general. What I do recommend are textbooks covering various fields that often are sources for alleged paranormal activity. In other words, you need to know how things work to rule out the mundane.

For instance, lights flickering or turning on and off? Then you need to have an understanding of how electrical systems work and how switches function. from that you cn rule out those sources.

Claims of EVP? Then understand recorders and their limitations. Use one properly to determine if it really is an EVP or simply wishful thinking on somone's part.

Same goes for pictures, you need to understand photography before claiming your pictures are paranormal.

#5 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Caverat knows what's up. I agree with him completely. I'll just add that Ghost Adventures is only valuable for it's unintended humor. It screams fake and hokey every time I've tried to watch it.

#6 TheGRIMSociety

TheGRIMSociety

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

Caverat, I'd agree with your statement but I've come across several discussions online of individuals who have been involved with FoF that make me wonder about their show as well.

Dancin- there is only one book I recommend:

The Art of Scientific Investigation

However, I should point out that I read everything I can get my hands on in relation to the paranormal, science and theory. I work under the belief that you can't have too much information. Since we're all trying to find the same thing, reading the conclusions of others helps me get a better picture of my own results across the general backdrop.

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

Caverat, I'd agree with your statement but I've come across several discussions online of individuals who have been involved with FoF that make me wonder about their show as well.

I don't mean to convey any recommendation for this show or any other. I only was placing it as a comparison to the others. Maybe a more accurate way to state my thoughts would be to grade them. The others I would give a "D" or evn an "F" in some cases.

FoF would be above them, but still only a C-. I have seen several things on there as well that either lack research or make unproven claims. About the best thing I can say for them is they at least make an effort to find resolution. They do apply a scientific protocol and work within it. It may not always work out, but that is the way of science. Some experiments succeed, others fail. And from the results we determine the facts.

But I also am aware it too is still first and foremost a TV show for entertainment. It is ruled by its ratings.

#8 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

I haven't watched one show that is reality and paranormally based for over 2 years at least. I find nothing real about any of them, and none have any particular basis in science or scientific method. The drama and fakery was enough to really push me away form them.

As far as books, I recommend Will Storr vs. the Supernatural, as a fun but critical look at research on hauntings and those who do it (he has a segment that really gives the scoop on how bad Most Haunted is through his own experience with them), but I also recommend checking out just about any book you can. No real wrong or right ideas out there that you can't decipher for yourself and for asking questions about.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#9 ChuckMcB

ChuckMcB

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

I still watch all the Ghost Hunters shows even though I'm no longer sure why. It kind of seems like the TAPS crew is getting bored and looking to hang it up. There is some speculation that the real purpose of the academy show is to get Steve and Tango ready to take over the original. Maybe then it will recover some watchability. I do like some of the newer people they've been bringing in as they aren't jaded yet.

For much that same reason, I kind of like the international team, they are still fresh and excited about what they do. The fact that they never find anything also gives them a bit more credibility. They also keep trying out new equipment while TAPS seems to be stuck on the old flashlight trick we've seen a thousand times. You gotta love Barry, he is serious to the point of insanity.

That leaves Ghost Adventures which I actually love. They get a lot more credibility from me for the fact that they don't have a bunch of producers and camera men hiding around the corner all the time. If they think they see something, we get to see it too because everything is filmed by the team alone unlike Ghost Hunters where the annoying camera crew always zooms in on the investigator's face rather than what they are looking at. Even their live show last year came off as pretty legit for what it was (a ridiculous ratings grab), they even came out and apologised for that crazy guest they brought in who threw his EMF meter trying to pass it off as paranormal.

All that said, I do agree with caverat that these are all just tv shows first and foremost. However they are also the reason people like myself have gotten into the field. I don't let go of things easily, as evidenced by the fact that I still watch Ghost Hunters despite all the things I said about it.

Edited by ChuckMcB, 24 September 2010 - 06:37 AM.

Paranormal Investigations: 8Last Investigation: 12-16-11Founder: Gulfview Paranormal Hernando Beach, FLEmail Us: GulfviewPI@mail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users