Legend of Onionhead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Genoah78

Genoah78

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:38 AM

Recently I copied an old article from a local newspaper onto my computer so that I can keep it on record. I just thought I would it fair to present the tale of Onionhead to anyone here who is from Southeast Louisiana...

St Tammany Times Picayune
Oct 30, 1993
“Lingering Legends”
by Sara Shipley, St Tammany Bureau

Somewhere amid the twisted, moss covered oaks of Haaswood lies something deeper and darker than soft marsh grasses and swampy pools that catch the moon.
In the heart of the sleepy community northeast of Slidell, a legend creeps larger than life.
Ask anyone who has ventured down a gravel road at night to a secluded civil war cemetery, and they will tell you more than memories haunt these parts.
The legend of Onionhead is alive.
Onionhead, locals say, is a man whose tragic life has chained him to this cemetery.
The story varies – some say he cared for children who died at his own hands. Others say he witnessed the deaths in a fire. His name is said to come from a disease that distorted his head.
He is now the perpetual caretaker of this cemetery, legends says, and he waits to capture those who wander into it.
The cemetery, which has no clear owner since it was donated by the Edmundson family decades ago as a public burial site, has become a favorite haunt in recent years for teen-agers seeking the ghoul.
No one reports ever seeing him, but that doesn’t stop teens from looking around Haaswood and other secluded locations where he has been reported to lurk.
Slidell High School sophomore Teresa Fotar, who said the cemetery is a popular gathering place on Halloween, said she’s been looking for Onionhead. “I as with a bunch of people. I didn’t see anything,” she said. “But still, it was spooky. I was scared,” she said.
Christy Brown, a Slidell sophomore, said she was frightened by her experience there last year. “The people I was with drove off and left me,” she said. “I started running down the road. I was so scared.”
Jarrod Lajaunie, a Slidell High junior, said he’s never ventured out, but he’s heard enough to curdle his blood. “The man killed (his kids), and wrote a sign in blood, ‘If you come here, I’ll kill you too,’” he said. “I think a lot of people take Ouija boards out there.”
One Salmen High graduate said he’d been looking for Onionhead for years ago, but added, “I don’t believe in that scary stuff now.”
Northshore High senior Rachel Wilhelm dismissed the legend. “It’s for a thrill, it’s for a high. You go there to get scared,” she said.
The tale has been popular for teens for at least 10 to 15 years, but Haaswood hasn’t always been Onionhead’s alleged stomping ground, Other places include the old Camp Salmen, Our Lady of Lourdes cemetery, and Greenwood cemetery.
Julius Hale, who has been maintaining the Haaswood cemetery since vandals broke into a tomb last year, said Onionhead has never been associated with Haaswood. “Last year and years back it would have been a good cemetery to get scared in because it was all shaggy, but now it’s kept up,“ he said.
Hale said he and another man plan to keep post at the locked cemetery on Halloween night to make sure no one disturbs it.
A spokeswoman for the St. Tammany Sheriff’s Office said deputies will patrol near cemeteries that night as well.
Junior Crowe of Pearl River, who has relatives buried in Haaswood, said he never heard of Onionhead, but that the cemetery has been the setting for many a ghost story.
“I think it’s an excuse for these young boys to take these girls out there,” he said.

#2 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,366 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:13 AM

welcome to GV Genoah78...this is the first time i've heard of this, thanks for sharing it with us.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

Nice article. The Onionhead seems similar to the Melonheads of Ohio and Connecticut. The legend with those is that a doctor ran an orphanage and performed "experiments" on the children, causing their heads to enlarge. Supposedly, the offspring of these big headed children live in the woods and terrorize teenagers at night. :weeee:
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#4 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, all aspects of the paranormal and the occult. I love to read and write, Stephen King is my current favorite author. I enjoy cemetery photography, exploring old places, being a husband and a father.<br><br>I love ghosthunting here in New Orleans. There is something new and amazing to discover here everyday. The culture is like no other. I lived in New Orleans all my life and complained about it everyday. It took moving out of state to make me realize how much I love this city. Now I'm back in New Orleans and couldn't be happier.

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:21 PM

Hey Patrick, glad you finally found your way here.
Knowledge is the clearest and most direct representation of utter power. The power to change your place on Earth, the power to change your fate, the very power to alter yourself. Thirst for this power and your inner longings will become satisfied and your external desires will become moot.http://www.geocities.com/kalebbkellum/

#5 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:45 PM

Hi Patrick, glad you came by to visit and I hope you stay for awhile, and good to see you again Kaleb. Will be in touch guys.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#6 Head of E.S.P.

Head of E.S.P.

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

I live in the general area and even visited one of the cementeries mentioned and never seen any Onionhead. It's just a legend.

#7 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

The article doet mention anyone who has actually seen him only people who have got spooked because of the reason that there in a grave yard, its a shame its a good legend.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Great article...wonderful tale for Halloween!
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#9 Darc_Saber

Darc_Saber

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

I live in Slidell, LA and I'm the head of a local paranormal investigations team called Voodoo Paranormal. My team have investigated the cemetaries mentioned in the artical several times a year for the past three years and i can say that it is nothing more than a legend. It makes a nice story but i'm afraid that's all that it is. Slidell and Pearl River are filled with legends such as this one, the walking tombstone, the haunting at the Jayne Mansfield crash site, and many more. of coarse i'm hoping that at least one of these legends are true, especially the walking tombstone. i'd hope to get some video evidence of that if it is true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users