21 replies to this topic

#1 jason82

jason82

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Music, Guitar, Reading, ghost, some movies and tv

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

So what does everyone prefer to use for EVP Software?
I have a lot of audio programs mostly for recording music, like Sonic Foundry, Acid Pro, Sound Forge...
I think they are a little overkill for EVPs..

Also are there any addon programs maybe made specifically for EVP's.

If you record 2 hours of audio do you listen to the 2 hours straight or do the programs help to narrow down areas of possible noise...

Thanks
Trust me Don't Cross the Streams!!

#2 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Jason,

I use sound forge studio 7. I find some of the tools very useful. I had 5 bundled with Acid 3.0 but since Sony bought out the Foundry they no longer support it.

The easiest is Audacity. Free, simple, concise, what more could you want.

I have been listening to last friday's trek to Hell Hollow and Mauds over the last few nights. Yes I have been listening and watching all 3 hours of audio and video. Not nearly done.

For instance I listened to the Maud's Grave audio in 3 separate 20 minute bursts. Any longer and my mind kinda goes gelatinous. Just take notes of the exact minute and second that you left off with for the next session.

I'll let you know if I get anything substancial. Right now all I have is a bit of audio oddities, no class A unexplained voices, maybe a class C.

Pfled
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#3 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

I use Adobe Audition. It does the trick. I have Sonic Foundry and Acid Pro as well but I just stuck to what I was use to.

We also listen to every single second of our audio. If you think about it this way, programs might have some sort of process to listen to you audio faster but I'm always afraid the technology will miss something. I have a friend who analzyes audio much more in depth then we do and he has run into this expect problem. Sometimes faster isn't always better. Although I do know how boring some of it is. Oh well... ;)
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#4 TNParanormalInvestigation

TNParanormalInvestigation

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

We use GoldWave 5.18. Its a pay program but is well worth it. I also use it for audio editing for the local community theater create sound tracks. It can remove unwanted sounds almost like they do in the TV CSI type shows or isolate a sound also.

#5 powries

powries

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hi All:

I adding my two cents worth here these are the programs I use

Audacity - free download - very good program
WavePad - Thirty day trial - very good program
Wavosaur - free download - very good program
Wave Studio - came with my sound blaster card - very good program
all sound editor - free download - good but not as good as the above programs.
my spins
Powries

#6 stoner

stoner

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Computers, GAA, Paranormal,decent books, holidays, women, making money, food.

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

been trying out goldwave at the moment and i like it. I did an EVP tech on line study thing with flamel college and they gave links for student copy and trial copies for about 5 or 6 types of sw the study was only about 100 $
This snake cannot be captured This snake cannot be tied This snake cannot be tortured, or Hung or crucified

#7 cedric

cedric

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

(WavePad fanaticism begins here)

WavePad does everything that I need it to do without all the bells and whistles getting in the way, it has very user-friendly controls that are fairly instinctive to operate, it's a very small file size so it's also a good compact backup if you move on to another system, the basic version is free and the deluxe package is under $40. Best of all, it works on everything from Vista to windows 3.1 and Apple versions are also available.

(End of fanaticism. Have a nice day.)

#8 SeekX

SeekX

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

So what does everyone prefer to use for EVP Software?
I have a lot of audio programs mostly for recording music, like Sonic Foundry, Acid Pro, Sound Forge...
I think they are a little overkill for EVPs..

Also are there any addon programs maybe made specifically for EVP's.

If you record 2 hours of audio do you listen to the 2 hours straight or do the programs help to narrow down areas of possible noise...

Thanks

I have not as yet recorded a standard EVP but i have had voices show up with music . I would think all the software that was mentioned on this thread would be great for editing purposes . I have N- Track , Audacity and also the old original Cool Edit Pro 2.0..

Thanks Jason as you reminded me about a very important question i need to ask.
One thing I am curious about is are more and or better results achieved by digital or analog recordings? I think maybe analog because of magnetic heads , if spirits or people in other dimensions or time or whatever it is or they are have to do with magnetic fields.

Maybe it does not matter either way though. :)

Danny

#9 Vickie Martin

Vickie Martin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

Stoner...

Do you have a copy of your favorite evp software?

#10 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal &amp; macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

Adobe Soundbooth for me.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#11 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

I use no software at all. My EVPs are made in analog format, and any filtering I need to do is done with hardware. I use a 19 band graphc equalized and 5 band parametric equalizer to provide slight tweaks if needed. Digital filtering works by creating artifacts and simulations which may alter the original. It has been shown to create false EVPs in this manner, especially when the quality is poor to begin with (class B or C). It may not cause as much of a problem with a class A EVP, but then againif it's class A why even bother "cleaning" it?

#12 YankeePyrate

YankeePyrate

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:History, all things paranormal &amp; macabre, good music, good friends, art, a few drinks...but most of all my amazing son.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

If I have to anything more than boost the sound levels and do a simple hiss/pop/click removal, I toss it out. My predominant use of software is simply to crop and export wav/mp3 files from the raw audio.
~ Visit my paranormal chronicles blog, "Sarah Haskell's Ghost" ~

#13 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

If I have to anything more than boost the sound levels and do a simple hiss/pop/click removal, I toss it out. My predominant use of software is simply to crop and export wav/mp3 files from the raw audio.

In that regard I agree. Simply amplifying a signal (unless it is overdriven, etc.) does not alter its content. In my application I just use the filter board (either parametric or bandpass) operating in its linear mode. In that way it provides amplification without adding any filtering action at all. And like you, if it is still unintelligible I pitch it out. (Minimal clicks and pops can also be removed, there is a noise gate and AGC function in the filter unit, hiss is generally not a problem since I use low noise amplifiers when capturing the EVP.)

As far as cropping an EVP, I simply copy the tape from the original onto a second generation tape so I can work with it if desired. Otherwise, since no alteration is being done to it, I work with the original directly from the primary playback deck through any filters I choose to use (if any).

Once in a while I will post an audio file just for others to hear, not for research purposes, online. For that I generally save it using an MP3 recorder (MyMP3) on the computer. This makes a file suitable for simply listening but not for quality research so for that MP3 is satisfactory. MyMP3 allows me to set the sample rate and compression to what I want, trading off quality for filesize. In the event someone wants to actually study the EVP, they can request a hard copy and I can make available a second generation analog copy from the tape on cassette and mail them a copy.

So I should correct my previous statement, I do use MyMP3 every once in a while to post EVPs online such as this forum. That is the only software application I currently use with EVPs.

#14 CASEY WELLS

CASEY WELLS

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

do you have any convincing legitimate evp's that you have captured and worked using your methods? im sure we would all love to hear what professionally mastered evp's sound like.
Under the wide and open sky, dig the grave and let me lie;Gladly i've lived and gladly die, away from this world of strife;This be the epitaph for me- "Here he lies where he longed to be, lies in death by the nineteenth tee, where he lied all his life"

#15 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

Most of my investigations are done for private clients. I do have the one on my website that is a part of the case file there. It is from a private client who allowed its release. Client confidentiality prevents the release of most from private cases unless the client gives permission.

However I have a few that were recorded at public locations, I will have to dig one out and transfer it to digital in oredr to post it, but I will do that. Meantime you can visit my website and hear that on as well as read the case file. Click my sig below, the choose the Paranormal Destination. It's under case files there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users