Surgery tomorrow....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hey Gang-
I know I've not been around much.... I've been spending a large chunk of my time at the hospital getting serial lumbar punctures (three to six of the suckers a week!) to try and lower my intracranial pressures (running between 40-60 cm of water... should be less than 15!). My local chiari surgeon is refusing to put in a shunt until I get my intrathecal dilaudid pump out of my spine as he feels that is causing my sky high pressures (even though it's putting out only 1/100th of a mL a day). Tomorrow morning (at 6.30 in the flippin morning... GAH! I don't do mornings) the nsg who placed the pump is pulling the catheter out of my spine (as well as drawing out 30-50 ccs of spinal fluid since Weds are LP days) and deactivating it for the time being.

Currently the hope is that I can have a VP shunt placed by the end of the month as these pressures are wrecking havoc on my optic nerves (they are incredibly swollen with fluid and somedays when my ICP is really high I can't even see right) not to mention the fact that I'm just miserable. Typically with pseudotumor cerebrii the first course of treatment is a diuretic but I can't take those (due to my dysautonomia my blood pressure is *very* unstable and I faint when I am upright)... I did honestly give "diamox" a try but it bottomed out my supine bp to 72/0 so it's a no go... So currently my only option is a shunt. The hope is to have the shunt placed, get my pressures to a more acceptable level and then recconnect the pump so I have proper pain control.

Would just appreciate some good vibes for the morning... This should be a simple outpatient procedure but with my body (or mainly autonomic system) things rarely go as planned. Vibes for proper post op pain control and a stable bp and hr so I can go home would be appreciated.
Lex
Love life.

#2 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I just wanted to add (since I can't edit my post anymore...) to anyone reading this that I DO NOT have an actual brain tumor (that happened on a health board with someone thinking I actually had a tumor), rather my body just thinks that there is a tumor... In my case it is thought to be a result of (by everyone but my CMI guy) my chiari decompression in June 2006 and the bacterial meningitis post operatively. Still pretty serious and still means more brain surgery, but much better than having a tumor.
Love life.

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,361 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Good luck and sending prayers and healing vibes :kitty:
Posted Image

#4 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Thanks moonie-
Surgrey went well... There is no sign of an adverse reaction due to the catheter that would cause the "aseptic meningitis"... We are thinking the next step is to remove the "icky cow" from my head and a VP shunt. I have another LP tomorrow and it my pressures are still too high I will be asking for an admission so that my chiari guy can place a lumbar drain until he puts in a shunt, as the IR doctors are no longre wanting to do lumbar punctures no me. I see Dr. Oro on Monday so we can talk shunts and the next course of treatment to bring down the high WBC in my CSF (my last cell count was 1287... should be under 10). Otherwise I've just been sleeping off yesterday's "festivities".

At this point in time I'm worried that my pressures will come down to a more normal level and then I won't have a way to make me feel better. Silly I know!
Love life.

#5 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well for you. I'm keeping you in my prayers for awhile, and sending positive energies your way.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#6 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Many gentle hugs for you, my dear friend <3
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#7 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Slowly healing.... It is amazing how quickly you can forget how much pain you were in for years when you finally recieve proper pain control. I swear just about everything hurts with the pump being deactivated.
I see Oro (local surgeon in charge of my chiari and related issues) tomorrow morning... I am planning on asking him to just do an admit until he can place the shunt and leave me with a lumbar drain because I am so sick of the lumbar punctures. My cell count in my spinal fluid and my pressures are still way too high... I had an LP through the ER yesterday (couldn't see, projectile vomitting, headache from hell) and my ICP was 37 with a cell count of 149. So I'm thinking that the bad graft will probably be going as well. I won't know what the plan is until after I see the doc, and he will probably want me to go through with the scheduled LP tomorrow afternoon to see if there are any changes.
I am hoping to get an OR date in the morning and will update then. I am just so over this. My current goal is to get the shunt placed this month, recover over the summer and then get back into PT to recondition my muscles (as that is what my body relies on to pump blood as my veins don't work properly) and be at the local college by spring 2012.
If you don't hear from me then you can assume that my "wish" has been granted and my surgeon admitted to the hospital for a lumbar drain to keep my pressures down until I get a shunt...
I think I may take the ER docs advice from yesterday and play the lotto.... The odds of having all of these separate disorders are 1 in 62,500,000,000,000,000 (multiplied the incidence of each separate disorder).
Love life.

#8 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Saw nsg today.... He wants me to go see him for another follow up in 4-6 weeks. Which means I won't gt a shunt until late July or August. And he wants to do an LP shunt, which is contradicted in my case due to my chiari malformation (if the shunt drains too much fluid then my brain will end up re herniating). I'm am looking around for a 2nd opinion now... I refuse to continue having to "live" like this. My LP today showed my pressure at 33 BEFORE doing the math and adding in the length of the needle (which would place it at 48)...
Trying to hang in there... If I end up in the ER again tomorrow to be drained I will be demanding that they admit me and transfer me to CU (I have a 2nd opinion with a guy there that was going to shunt me in 2008 for an arachnoid cyst but it isn't until 6/23).
I'm not a mean person to docs but this has really been going on for far too long...

And my nsg is trying to say that I have a gluten intolerance that could be causing the inflammation and pressures... I don't really eat alot of grains and I haven't been able to eat alot the past 3 months due to nausea and vomitting... If that was the case I think that my pressure and cell count would be way down due to the "anorexia" (the symptom, not the eating disorder).
Love life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users