Maude's grave? [Connecticut]

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 der_5

der_5

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:38 AM

I've been trying to find the location for a short time, not frustrating me too much [yet] lol...

Was wondering if anyone has the exact location...

I saw in other threads where a few of you have visited it [ohhorror and CTghosthunter?]

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 EcKo

EcKo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:37 PM

I've been trying to find the location for a short time, not frustrating me too much [yet]  lol...

I saw in other threads where a few of you have visited it [ohhorror and CTghosthunter?]

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live about 15 min away from it.If you can find a map of Hell's Hollow Rd,go to that,find the pond,park on the right side(facing it),and follow the small trail and you'll find a pile of rocks.I was just there last night and my friends came across the ghost of what we believe to be a Civil War soldier.I wouldn't mess around there too much though.After we had left,my friend was bringing me home and a lady appeared near a stop sign,stepped out into the road towards us,then dissappeared.

Edited by EcKo, 10 November 2005 - 09:39 PM.

#3 der_5

der_5

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

nice...thanks for your help. Think I'll be checking it out this weekend.

Edited by der_5, 11 November 2005 - 01:42 PM.

#4 EcKo

EcKo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:39 AM

Yea I just got home from there again with another sighting,this time it was a hooded figure we thought to be a tree stump,then it turned it's head.

#5 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:18 AM

thats really interesting.....very few people get to experience the apparitions that you do.....maybe you could point me in the right direction if i decide to go and take a look...... :redbounce: I havent been there yet and would love to go.

:bluebounce: :brownbounce: :greenbounce: :purplebounce: :headbang: :bluebounce: :greenbounce: :brownbounce: :bluebounce: :purplebounce:
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#6 der_5

der_5

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:36 PM

We went to Maude's grave this weekend...twice actually.

EcKo, what's the deal with the mannequin? It had a noose around it's neck, but wasn't hanging. I assume that's the pile of rocks where the grave is?

We walked around the site a bit, then took a walk through one of the trails down the street. We were on the trail for probably a half hour...maybe a little longer.

Then as we drove by again to head home, we noticed the mannequin was hanging.

There was a car in the parking area, and we heard a few guys on dirt bikes as we were walking.

Was strange to say the least. I'm going to chalk it up to kids having fun.

Have you seen this?

Edited by der_5, 14 November 2005 - 12:37 PM.

#7 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:46 PM

That is freaky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#8 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:09 PM

I'm just sliding this up to Haunted Land, as it deals with a specific location of a cemetary, as opposed to a list of locations in a region :whee:
Posted Image

#9 Chedwick

Chedwick

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:I have alot of interrests, I do love animals and like to sew and make crafts. I like to snorkel and travel and of course garden! I love horror movies and creepy things and this site is great!I have the ability to sense and see things but I have no control over, hopefully I can learn to someday. I joined just because I will find my down time here reading. looking forward to learning. Iam also married and have no children.

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:48 PM

is there a story about this place? or burial site? who is maude?
thanks
[B][FONT=Impact][SIZE=1][COLOR=green]

#10 VampireAzriel

VampireAzriel

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:55 PM

Hey guys, a few friends and I were just there, we just got back. We searched the trail but couldn't find anything. We went a ways into the woods. Where is her grave? Any of you guys from that area whove been there, would you be interested in meeting us up there some time? either post back or email me at vampireazriel@yahoo.com, and let me know. Thanks

#11 miket60

miket60

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:41 PM

I'm interested in going but don't know where it is. Let me know if anyone's going, directions and I can met you there. E-mail me at mike_t_60@yahoo.com

#12 der_5

der_5

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:16 PM

This is how I found it

EcKo
post Nov 10 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Ghostvillagers
Member No.: 10497

QUOTE(der_5 @ Nov 4 2005, 10:38 AM)
I've been trying to find the location for a short time, not frustrating me too much [yet] lol...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I live about 15 min away from it.If you can find a map of Hell's Hollow Rd,go to that,find the pond,park on the right side(facing it),and follow the small trail and you'll find a pile of rocks.I was just there last night and my friends came across the ghost of what we believe to be a Civil War soldier.I wouldn't mess around there too much though.After we had left,my friend was bringing me home and a lady appeared near a stop sign,stepped out into the road towards us,then dissappeared.

#13 MoGryph

MoGryph

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:58 PM

Okay, I just wanted to get this straight, as many people seem to be pointing people in the wrong direction.

I went there this morning, for my first time, and I found exactly where it is, which I'm certain of, because there was actually a grave stone (not a pile of rocks.)

I wouldn't bother with going all the way down Hell Hollow Road, unless you've got a vehicle that can take the beating. I went down it, merely because I wanted to find the "pile of rocks" which apparently marks the area nearby which you might see the soldier. This is a completely different area. I'm not sure if I found those stones, but I did see A pile of stones. Unfotunately, I haven't found good directions to that spot, so I'm not sure if I found the right one.

Anyhow...

The path to Maude's grave is not off of Hell Hollow Road, it is off of Cedar Swamp Road. Cedar Swamp road is straight across Rt 49 from Hell Hollow Road.

Follow down Cedar Swamp Road from Rt 49, and you'll find a cemetary on your right hand side. Further on down Cedar Swamp road, within walking distance from the cemetary, is a path that goes from one side of the road to the other. Off the path on the Left hand side of the road, you'll see a huge junk pile out in the woods (actually, the path splits on the left side). It's just so unfortunate that people these days have no respect for nature.

Anyhow, you're going to take the path on the Right side of the road (not the right part of the fork on the left side.) Follow down the path, you'll see a path that branches off to the right (back up and behind the cemetary) this is not the path you want. More garbage surrounding this area. Yuck. Saw a 2 foot tall stuffed bunny toy there. Wondering if that was originally at the cemetary or not. I didn't bother touching it.

So, continue going straight past that garbage pile. The path will turn to the left- just as a landmark, if you look to the left of the path where it veers to the left, you should see another pile of garbage, but the trees in the area were growing very oddly - they all seem to grow away from the path, and towards some central focal point (on the left side, they grow away and towards the right. On the right side, they grow away, and towards the left. In the center, they appear to grow straight into the forest away from the path)

Continue down the path. You'll just keep going down the path, and eventually you'll see a few house foundations. On the left hand side, before the first foundation, is the grave site of Maude.

I didn't see anything strange. I wasn't freaked out or anything- if anything, I just felt sadness. Sorrow that so many people have desicrated the area.

I didn't want to disturb the gravestone anymore than necessary, so I didn't take any rubbings- You can read her first name, her last name has been quite weathered over time. I believe it's MALLONE, at least, when I invert the colors in the picture I took, that's the closest to what it looks like.

The years are also difficult to read.
The best I can tell it reads:
18?9
TO
1858 (not sure)

Again, I felt no evil presences there, nor did I see anything peculiar, but this is perhaps because I went with respect for the departed, and without any ideas of mallice.

Please, if you go there, do not disturb the grave any. Just consider how you'd feel if it were your mother or sister's grave, and people came up and disturbed it.

Anyhow, I hope this helps other people.

-Steve
-------------
Paranormal Investigator
Smoking Gun Research Agency - Ghost Division
http://www.sgra-media.org

#14 tangiemoff

tangiemoff

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

I grew up in Voluntown and we visited Maude's grave quite often. It used to be a popular partying spot when I was growing up. The site is on Hell's Hollow Rd. on the right side of the pond. Supposedly Maude was a witch and was buried in this spot. There is also the spirit of an Indian woman who was killed by British soldiers after she saw her family killed. People say they can hear her crying coming from the woods. I personally have never seen or heard anything. I know there are a lot of accidents on that road because it is narrow, etc. I don't know about the cemetary on Cedar Swamp Rd. Maybe that is the Maude the legend is based on, but her actual burial site is supposed to be on Hells Hollow.

#15 UConnLaw25

UConnLaw25

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I am now DrCivis1980.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

Myself and three others are going to both potential locations tonight. I will of course share afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users