Photo

Are Tarot cards "evil"?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:photography, vampires, spirits, demons, faeries, reading, history, anime, comics, music

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

My family is devout Catholic. While they wholeheartedly believe in the supernatural (and have experienced it), they feel that tools used to commune with the dead are evil. My parents have expressed many misgivings about the Ouiji Board and Tarot cards denouncing them as "tools of the Devil". (They do have a legitimate basis though. The first house they moved into was haunted by a mischievous spirit, or demon. They used a Ouiji Board to try to communicate with the being. The spirit took control of the board (all human hands were off it) and flung it across the room.) :( :)
However when I was 17, I thought theses assumptions were B.S. I had been using the Ouiji Board with my friends to actually talk to spirits, or as one friend put it our 'higher forms of consciousness', without problems. I became intrigued with Tarot after visiting Salem, MA, where I bought my first deck. The deck was used constantly as a divination tool, and meditation tool. I even did readings for friends, but had to hide the deck from my family. In August 2000, I performed a reading on myself because my boyfriend was becoming distant. I forgot which type of spread I used, but it was one where you have a card representing yourself in the middle. Surrounding that card are cards representing past occurrences, future happenings, current environment, etc, etc. Anyway, for the environment segment, I had drawn the Death card. At first I thought the death pertained to the death of a notion, ideal, or situation. One month later my uncle died mysteriously. Suicide was the first assumption, but when that didn't make sense my family figured he was murdered. To this day we donít know how he died (though my father now believes it was a sudden heart attack or aneurism).
Nevertheless, after I put two and two together, I told my mom about the reading. That's when she explained how Tarot cards are evil and invite problems. Whether she is right or not, in 5 years I have not touched that deck. I have had people ask me to do readings for them, but refused. I've heard that if you have not done a reading on yourself for a long time, that the first time you read the cards whether intentionally directed at yourself or not, the reading will be for you. Iím still interested in Tarot, but too afraid to do anything with it. I don't really believe that Tarot is evil itself, but somethings are best left unknown.
:(
I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne "Let my army be the rocks and the trees...and the birds in the sky." Dr. Henry Jones (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)Me- "You know, I didn't even know Lestat was going to be made into a musical."Rav - "I had read something about it, but I thought it was a joke."(go figure)

#2 jkay43

jkay43

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

I used the tarot about 15 years ago, or tried to use them, would be a better way to say it. I did a few readings and people said they were good. I really didn't care much for them and didn't feel like I was getting the right vibe or something, so I quit. So about 2 years ago, after I had had a family and after I felt myself changing (evolving) spiritually I bought a deck and messed around with them a little, but then put them away and forgot about it.
So, this past year there have been a lot of things that happened that profoundly affected my life, both good and bad. So I started searching for answers and I felt a need to get out the cards. I've been using them daily for the last couple of months on myself and a couple of close friends. We use them for guidance in our growth and they have helped immensely.
They're not evil, they are a connection to your higher power to help you and communication with a cosmic consciousness. They also teach us to rely on our intuition and believe it, because it is never wrong. It teaches you faith.
You must have reached a certain point in your spirituality for them to be effective. Then they can be a wonderful tool. :(

BTW, I've been an avid "ghosthunter" for the last 2 years which also can develop the intuitiveness. :)

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:13 PM

My family is devout Catholic. While they wholeheartedly believe in the supernatural (and have experienced it), they feel that tools used to commune with the dead are evil.

The answer for your question is right in your post. Imagine a knife. a surgeon uses it to save a life through surgery. But a killer would use it to take away a life. Is knife evil? I don't think so, but the user and their intentions are evil. Same thing applies here too.
Posted Image

#4 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

I very much agree with Moonchild on this one.
The mind is an incredible energy and needs to be used wisely. Being in a positive frame of mind will bring positive results. And the same applies to the negative frame of mind.
I'll get back to this later, I have to go for now.
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#5 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

I've heard that if you have not done a reading on yourself for a long time, that the first time you read the cards whether intentionally directed at yourself or not, the reading will be for you.

Can't say that I've heard of that before, it kind of sounds like an old wives tale to me.

I agree with Moonie on this one. It tends to be the person using the tools rather than the tools themselves that are capable of evil. Though it's not to say that the tools used (In this case Tarot cards or Ouija) can't be used to service as openings because thier purpose is for communication/divination. You never can be sure with whom you're in communication when you use them. It's why I tend to suggest never using the ouija board (Especially when it's marketed as a game, people tend to take it less seriously)
With tarot cards? I presonally have 2 sets myself but had rarely used them for anything other than to guess my accuracy when drawing a next card and have to admit my powers of foresight are no good when it comes to that :lol:

my puter is acting up at first all it did was post the full quote you hadand not what i was trying to post :lol:

Edited by lulaboo, 16 January 2006 - 04:30 PM.

Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#6 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

The very first thing we need to do is to address the misconception about the Death Card. The name is misleading, for sure, and that's not helped by the media. Movies always play ominous music when the Death card shows up in a reading, etc

Teen-agers also seem to be both repulsed and intrigued by the Death card for some reason. I suppose the drama interests them...The "what if's"..

In truth, the Death card symbolizes a new beginning...the passing of a situation, and the beginning of a new one.

Always remember - The cards speak in allusion -

Edited by Holly, 16 January 2006 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 EntitySeeker

EntitySeeker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:I am a researcher in the paranormal and co-founded Alberta's ENTITYSEEKER. Our goal is to continue to assist people in understanding the paranormal, and to learn a great deal along the way.<br /><br />Aside from that, my favourite passtimes are spending time with my python, Galen, and my husband, Court. Also, I spend a great deal of time both composing music and studying ghosts and hauntings, both on paper and in the field.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

Actually, I am rather interested in this topic as our group is currently doing a study on the cards. We have heard a bunch of reports saying that tarots attract evil spirits, etc. We have been unable to find any case histories on this theory, that tarot decks actually BRING negative entities into the home.

Does anyone have any imput on this?
thanks guys,

Morgan

ENTITYSEEKERParanormal Investigations and Researchwww.entityseeker.comThe Meaning of Life is to SEE

#8 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

I have a whole lot of input on that idea, but I can word it very concisely..

In 22 years of reading and studying Tarot, I have never heard of the Cards bringing negative energy to anyone.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#9 EntitySeeker

EntitySeeker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:I am a researcher in the paranormal and co-founded Alberta's ENTITYSEEKER. Our goal is to continue to assist people in understanding the paranormal, and to learn a great deal along the way.<br /><br />Aside from that, my favourite passtimes are spending time with my python, Galen, and my husband, Court. Also, I spend a great deal of time both composing music and studying ghosts and hauntings, both on paper and in the field.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:30 PM

I have a whole lot of input on that idea, but I can word it very concisely..

In 22 years of reading and studying Tarot, I have never heard of the Cards bringing negative energy to anyone.

Thanks for replying to that. We haven't heard anything negative either and we find that the only negative imput we've receieved has been from religious people who try to demonize any spirit communication whatsoever.

We've asked around on numerous message board and everyone seems to be of the same opinion.

ENTITYSEEKERParanormal Investigations and Researchwww.entityseeker.comThe Meaning of Life is to SEE

#10 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:00 AM

I consider myself very religious (Christian). It is my understanding that religion views spirit communication as evil if you instigate it (except for prayer to the Father, of course). Good spirits (angels if you will) have been known to visit godly people in biblical times. Two angels visited Abraham. Jesus talked with Moses and Elijah during the Feast of Tabernacles.

The problem is that there are good spirits, evil spirits, and spirits that fall somewhere in between. We must discern if they are telling the truth or deceiving us.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#11 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:01 AM

My parents have expressed many misgivings about the Ouiji Board and Tarot cards denouncing them as "tools of the Devil".

My dad has said that the tarot cards are evil, although he always listens when I give a reading. ha ha! The Ouija board is not evil in itself. It's just a piece of particle board with some paper glued on it. However if you use it to communicate, it can become a portal through which you invite entities. The risk is that they are bad.

The death card you pulled rarely means actual death, as Holly points out. Since you were reading for you in your love life, it applies to you. The fact that your uncle died has nothing to do with it, nor did you influence the situation in any way with your reading.

Because we have the power of self-determination, regardless of what you may see in the future for someone, they can change their future. If you see something bad that could happen, you should give them advice that will help them work through or go around it, without baldly dropping any bombs. By reading the cards for people, you can really help them, if they're receptive to what you're saying. I call it therapeutic reading, as opposed to fortune telling. In a therapeutic reading you see how things are going for the person and then see how these things could lead to a future event. If it's a bad event, you need to get from the cards ways that the questioner can avoid the bad event.

I have at least a half a dozen decks of tarot cards around my apartment and I've never had bad vibes from cards and I have no entities living in my apartment (that I know of). I've never felt any evil spirits while reading the cards.

Of course, it's important to focus on the question or theme given to you by the questioner so that the reading is truly for them. If you are distracted by noisy people or situations around you or too into your own troubles, then the reading will be influenced by it.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#12 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

In truth, the Death card symbolizes a new beginning...the passing of a situation, and the beginning of a new one.

That's what I've always read as it's meaning.
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#13 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:photography, vampires, spirits, demons, faeries, reading, history, anime, comics, music

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

You guys have been really helpful :) :hug: I do acknowledge that the cards show what may be, not what will definately happen. Still, the experience freaked me out, and I'm still kinda leery of what I might get if I perform another reading.
I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne "Let my army be the rocks and the trees...and the birds in the sky." Dr. Henry Jones (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)Me- "You know, I didn't even know Lestat was going to be made into a musical."Rav - "I had read something about it, but I thought it was a joke."(go figure)

#14 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking &amp; baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting &amp; open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

I love drawing the death card!
I guess it's because I'm terminally
welcome to change.
Bit of gypsy I'm afraid.

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde ďThe Picture of Dorian GrayĒ

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:01 PM

You guys have been really helpful :) :) I do acknowledge that the cards show what may be, not what will definately happen. Still, the experience freaked me out, and I'm still kinda leery of what I might get if I perform another reading.

;) It's not that the cards show what may be. It's that the images on the cards are never actually what they appear to be on first impulse. The Death Card for example, which people who are unfamilar with Tarot Cards automatically take at face value (death), doesn't actually represent death at all, but as Holly points out, change.

I wouldn't worry and stress over what you might get if you perform another reading. You may want to sit back and study the meanings behind the images and remember that it's not face value.

Carlotta - I like how you put it, theraputic reading. I had the cards read for me on New Years Eve, and it gave me much to think about. I asked if I would ever finish writing a particular novel I'd been struggling through for a few years. The reading made me realize that the struggle was with myself, as each of the cards that came up pointed to that very thing. I had always blamed the struggle on a particular character that was 'unmanagable', when in reality the make up of the character as I created him was a bit too frightening to me and I was blocking myself because I didn't want to go into that part of my subconcious to bring him through. Sometimes you need someone not directly involved in your question and visual tools to really grasp what's going on.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users