• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Faraday Cages is someting I am very familiar with.

I can make the same claim. But I'll have to disagree with you a little bit. A mesh can be just as effective.

Interesting writeup here for the technically curious. It discusses the use of mesh over the windows:
http://www.magnet.fs...aradaycage.html
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#17 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Flying, Guitar, Robots, Paranormal

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:18 PM

Faraday Cages is someting I am very familiar with.

I can make the same claim. But I'll have to disagree with you a little bit. A mesh can be just as effective.

Interesting writeup here for the technically curious. It discusses the use of mesh over the windows:
http://www.magnet.fs...aradaycage.html

"Can be" is the key word. Why worry about mesh size vs. Wavelength when it is so easy and cheap to go with foil. Your microwave is a faraday cage, but ineffective for cell phone frequencies. "Holes" in door, too lage for frequency/wavelength.
When dealing with unknown frequencie,more coverage is better than less.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.(Proverbs 18:2)http://www.ghostphysics.blogspot.com./

#18 AnythingButNormal

AnythingButNormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Science, history, museums, and the technical aspects of investigating the paranormal.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

[/quote]
"Can be" is the key word. Why worry about mesh size vs. Wavelength when it is so easy and cheap to go with foil. Your microwave is a Faraday cage, but ineffective for cell phone frequencies. "Holes" in door, too large for frequency/wavelength.
When dealing with unknown frequencies, more coverage is better than less.
[/quote]

How exactly do you ground the foil though?
Investigator/Technical Manager: South Coast Paranormal Society, Augusta, GAwww.southcoastparanormalsociety.com

#19 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Flying, Guitar, Robots, Paranormal

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

Alligator clip connecting foil to known ground,ground rod, or adeqate electron reservoir. In many instances you could get away without grounding.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.(Proverbs 18:2)http://www.ghostphysics.blogspot.com./

#20 TheParanormalSarah

TheParanormalSarah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:I'm in school working towards my PhD in Clinical/Forensic Psychology with a Masters in Parapsychology and I am also working towards international certification with hypnotherapy and neurolinguistic studies. I spend all my spare time doing paranormal research and travelling the world. <br /><br />I can honestly say between research, travel, photography and living life I rarely get to slow down... but that is just the way I like it! I'm a short fiesty white girl that can krump, enjoy a good cigar, recite most any rap song and can investigate the most terrifying places on Earth with the best of em'.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

EVP is still what you refer to when discussing what you find as 'evidence' from the Frank's Box or Shack Hack. Electronic Voice Phenom is perhaps what some believe to be conscious energy MANIPULATING energy from the Electromagnetic spectrum to communicate with us (the living).

Researchers do not believe the voices aren't possibly radio stations; in fact you try and measure the sweeping to see what the possible sentence link would be. YOu also try and rationalize with logic how intelligent and/or responsive the results are to your questions to rule out chance. No radio is designed to speak with the dead but the hacks are designed in order to try. With sweeping, removing the mute pin and enhancing the white noise you are trying to provide opportunity.

Why use this form? Because intent has a lot to do with intelligent communication. When researchers arrive, announce their presence and bring a tool that provides opportunity, well... logic tells us that you use the easiest means necessary. Conscious energy or what I call 'ghosts' do the same.
~Paranormal Sarah Parapsychology Researcher & Psychologist "When you look into the Abyss...the Abyss looks into you."

#21 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

EVP is still what you refer to when discussing what you find as 'evidence' from the Frank's Box or Shack Hack. Electronic Voice Phenom is perhaps what some believe to be conscious energy MANIPULATING energy from the Electromagnetic spectrum to communicate with us (the living).

Researchers do not believe the voices aren't possibly radio stations; in fact you try and measure the sweeping to see what the possible sentence link would be. YOu also try and rationalize with logic how intelligent and/or responsive the results are to your questions to rule out chance. No radio is designed to speak with the dead but the hacks are designed in order to try. With sweeping, removing the mute pin and enhancing the white noise you are trying to provide opportunity.

Why use this form? Because intent has a lot to do with intelligent communication. When researchers arrive, announce their presence and bring a tool that provides opportunity, well... logic tells us that you use the easiest means necessary. Conscious energy or what I call 'ghosts' do the same.

If one considers this as a viable method then it also is a requirement to understand the exact method such "white noise" and portions of sentences are manipulated. That includes the precise voltage requirements to select the desired station these boxes tune to at the precise instant needed to assemble the desired phrase.

Digital tuning is done by placing a DC voltage on the tuning input of a chip which sets the frequency of the local oscillator. In AM this frequency is hetrodyned, or beat against the radio station frequency of the desired station. A difference, or IF frequency, is derived, amplified and detected. In a nutshell, this is how modern radio works.

Now if the spirit is to cause a reception of a particular station it must be able to place the precise DC voltage on the tuning pin needed to get the desired station. Plus it must do so without error and only for the time period required to pick up the phoneme or phrase it wants, then immediately switch to the next station by seamlessly changing the DC voltage on the tuning input. Since most phonemes of speech last from 50 - 200 msec. this is the rate that the spirit must select phonemes. If one can explain how the spirit is able to control the tuning voltage with this level of precision then an argument might be made for a ghost box.

But there is yet one more vital factor to consider as evidenced from the above paragraph. Even if the spirit were able to achieve this level of control, it still has to know WHICH station to select. That means it has to listen to all available stations AND know what the announcer is going to say before he says it! Otherwise how can the spirit choose a station?

Like most ITC methods this is fraught with problems. But you are correct in one aspect. If a spirit wishes to communicate it will use the easiest method available. That would be simply physical manipulation of something present. Or possibly causing an electrical disturbance which can be directly picked up and amplified. After all if this hypothetical spirit can manipulate a DC control pin on a chip it must be able to generate an electrical signal. So rather than add a bunch of garbage in the form of white noise or other interference, why not use a good high gain amplifier and a quiet environment so that the spirit need not generate such a high level signal to get over our noise? Everyone knows we can hear better in a quiet room than in a noisy environment, so why not make it easy for the spirit to be heard?

#22 Observer47

Observer47

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi! I'm trying to find out if anyone has any idea whether the newer make of the Radio Shack 12-470 can be hacked to continuously scan. This one is the black one that's made to look like an ipod. Apparently, when I ordered it online, even though the picture showed the older model, they decided to send me the new one. :ghost: Does anyone know how to fix this model?

I was first exposed to a Shack Hack at the Stanley Hotel. The hotel closed for my group and Bill Chappell, Dave Schrader and Zak. At first I was a skeptic. Note: I use a lot of equipment that is considered at the top of line in ghost investigations. But I have found some of the simpler equipment is just as effective. Don't ask me to explain why--all I know is my group has gotten some pretty impressive responses from the 20-125 shortwave radio I hacked. We use it with a PX. My group investigates several locations that are very active on a regular basis. In one store that we already knew the little boy spirit in the back is named Tommy. We recorded him saying Thomas when we requested his name on the Shack Hack.
IMHO Shack Hacks are worth trying out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users