A very nice article.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#31 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:07 PM

It din't sound like an overnight change. it's her choice but what I wonder what was her motivation to change.

If I had to guess, I think she had always had a seed of critical thinking in her. She did mention her father "was and still is a skeptic with a strong intellect and good native training in scientific and critical thought processes", so I can imagine this was always a part of her. Critical thinking is partly about questioning your established beliefs. As she said "when you start questioning these beliefs, there's a domino effect that eventually smacks into your whole house of cards".
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#32 deadzone

deadzone

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:48 PM

http://www.emovere.com/aboutk.html
Here is the information about her and the reasons why she changed her beliefs......I also read 2 of her books from the local library......Shaking head....
Posted Image

#33 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:27 AM

A note from Karla:

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. -- André Gide

the above is from the web site DeadZone has given link to.

What I concur from that words is that, Karla was never meant to be. You cant reach the other shore unless you leave this shore in the first place. Why fool yourself into swimming, when you actually ain't even left the shore? She actually was fooling the people into her pseudo belief's.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#34 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:09 AM

I believe in change and keeping one self open to diffrent ideals. I have gone through that door of changes in my belief. The one my family raised me in never quite met the fulfilment that I epected. So It took awhile but I found what truley fulfills me.

plind, that's a good piont you made about her father and the seeds being already there. It could account for alot.

The 360 term used; I think would apply because she is at the being of a new belief from her old one. Even if she is a skeptic from the start.She is starting over with this new out look from her previous one.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#35 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:43 AM

deadzone, thanks for the link. Interesting to read.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#36 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:45 AM

It also included one of my favorite quotes:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K.D.)

#37 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:12 AM

Deadzone- please tell me why you're shaking your head.  

I lived in Los Alamos, NM from the 4th grade till I graduated and for those of you who don't know it has the highest per capita of Scientific PHD's in the US.  Funny thing, it also has every single religious denomination you can think of represented. (Because of all the staff members as well as visiting scientist from all over the world)  We have a street that we call "Church Row".  SOme of the denominations hold services at the Community Center because they do not have a building.  So if we were to buy into the premise that a scientific ananlytical mind eventually makes the paranormal, religious beliefs and other unexplainable intangibles obsolete, what would be the motivation for all these highly evolved scientific minds to have their  spirituality needs filled?  

Could it be that prehaps these 'brains' (as we used to call them) maybe just wise enough to realize that there is more 'out there' than what our mortal brains can comprehend?  

I guess what I'm saying is it is a fallacy to believe that people of scientific intellect do not recoginize or 'believe' in the 'unknown' (I'm using 'unknown' as a catch all). Because some of them do.  And some of them are hard core atheist.  But I can't accept that intelligence voids beliefs as it seems to be implied here.  
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#38 deadzone

deadzone

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:31 AM

Shaking head, Hawk, because I took all that information in, within 5 hours, both books and the link.  Too much Karla, in one day. :)
Posted Image

#39 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

It also included one of my favorite quotes:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K.D.)

Where does reality exist without belief in the first place?Posted Image

#40 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:55 AM

Shaking your head?!?!?!  Gawd!  I would be slamming my head into a brick wall!!!! ;D  You are deligent!! :)
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#41 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 12:00 PM

Where does reality exist without belief in the first place?Posted Image

Everywhere around you.

To believe something to be true, doesn't make it true. A hundred years ago people believed that Mars was populated by strange civilizations. Does that mean that at that period in time Mars was indeed populated?

#42 deadzone

deadzone

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:01 PM

For we are part of it all, and to remove ourselves from it, lessens ourselves. We are one with this great whole. We are of this world, and its seasons. We are of the universe – all is whole and One. Only our minds preserve the illusion of difference.  This Spring is not occurring to us – WE are occurring with it. This is reality, when we forget we are part of the whole is when we lose grip of what reality is, if this seems, somewhat outside this original post, it isn't, even Karla, as much as I would like to chase her down and question her belief system is part of the whole....Reality is what we make it, plain and simple, forget the scientist who sits in a lab, and scratches his head, the skeptic who wishes to shove their debates down our throats, its still part of the whole that makes all of us.....The bible thumper, new age thinker, the ghost investigator, when looked at through the eyes of a evolved soul, its all part of this place we call reality....Now shakes her head, hawk, why can't we see this????
Posted Image

#43 plindboe

plindboe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:47 PM

For we are part of it all, and to remove ourselves from it, lessens ourselves. We are one with this great whole. We are of this world, and its seasons. We are of the universe – all is whole and One. Only our minds preserve the illusion of difference.  This Spring is not occurring to us – WE are occurring with it. This is reality, when we forget we are part of the whole is when we lose grip of what reality is, if this seems, somewhat outside this original post, it isn't, even Karla, as much as I would like to chase her down and question her belief system is part of the whole....Reality is what we make it, plain and simple, forget the scientist who sits in a lab, and scratches his head, the skeptic who wishes to shove their debates down our throats, its still part of the whole that makes all of us.....The bible thumper, new age thinker, the ghost investigator, when looked at through the eyes of a evolved soul, its all part of this place we call reality.

How is my coffee mug connected to you?

#44 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,195 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:09 PM

Everywhere around you.

To believe something to be true, doesn't make it true. A hundred years ago people believed that Mars was populated by strange civilizations. Does that mean that at that period in time Mars was indeed populated?

the TRUTH is not the same as REALITY. A cup od coffee is really a cup of coffee only if you believe in. The truth is that it is a cup of coffee, but for the person who doesn;t believe it so, reality is that it is not a cup of coffee. Our life is only as real as we believe it to be.

#45 deadzone

deadzone

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:17 PM

Peter:

I no longer wish to debate this with you.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users