Hoodoo (rootwork)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NightFrightz

NightFrightz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I am active in the matters of spirits and such when they remind me <br /><br />And interesting tid bit. When I was 17 my Dr. told me I would be a good para psychologist. <br /><br />I've been at GV for a while, but not active. I've been a lurker for years. I'm hoping to change that now.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted much on the boards, and I'm so very happy to see familiar handles being active!

In the last year or so I've become very interested in Hoodoo, and in the last few months I've began learning it. On my own at the moment, but I am looking for someone to study under in my area.

Any how I don't remember ever hearing anyone from GV mention rootwork. So I'm just curious if there are any other villagers out there who are experienced in it, or just learning it? Perhaps we could chat a bit about it.

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

This is the first instance I am coming across the term Hoodoo. Would you care to explain more on what this is all about? :)
Posted Image

#3 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Is this what we are talking about?

http://en.wikipedia....oo_(folk_magic)
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#4 Illuminated One

Illuminated One

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Is this what we are talking about?

http://en.wikipedia....oo_(folk_magic)

I have never heard of people refering to witchcraft as Hoodoo or Rootwork. Interesting how things obtain different names. However, I can understand the reasoning for it.

~IlluminatedOne

#5 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

No kidding? I've never heard of this either, but from what I read on what Cryscat posted, I think it's pretty cool (as long as it's used positively of course).
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#6 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

from the little bit of reading I have done, I am guessing that Hoodoo is a really old term for root or folk magic. From the late 1800s. Never heard of it until now.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#7 NightFrightz

NightFrightz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:I am active in the matters of spirits and such when they remind me <br /><br />And interesting tid bit. When I was 17 my Dr. told me I would be a good para psychologist. <br /><br />I've been at GV for a while, but not active. I've been a lurker for years. I'm hoping to change that now.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hello all, I'm sorry I posted then went MIA for a few days.

Illuminated One- I think there are many different kinds of “witch craft” around. I've never actually heard hoodoo/ root work referred to as such. I think it would be more appropriately termed as “Folk Magic”. I personally like to use the term root work the most because it acknowledges that this particular practice revolves around using roots and herbs.

Moonchild- Sure! I'm learning more every day, and there is a lot to learn! Catherine Yronwode has very eloquently defined a broad definition of root work. “Hoodoo consists of a large body of African folkloric practices and beliefs with a considerable admixture of American Indian botanical knowledge and European folklore.”

Root work relies heavily on natural objects like herbs, roots, and animal bits (bones, blood (although most modern practitioners use symbolic oils/scents in leu of blood) ect.) Specific objects are naturally endowed with specific energies. These natural objects are used to create inks, oils and incense. From what I've learned so far the oils are perhaps the most important as they are used to dress objects and anoint people.

Root work can be used for just about anything! However I've noticed a particularly large focus on “love”, “luck” and “money” drawing spells. If you've ever heard the term “Mojo” then you have heard a root work term! The term mojo has taken on some kind of sexual connotation to mainstream America. I think mainly do to all the blues songs out there that talk about “my mojo” that have love/sexual focuses.

Creating mojo bags is a large part of practicing root work. Mojo bags can be created to draw things near (love, luck, money, success...ect.) and protect from enemies, persons that mean harm or just bad luck. Ummmm....what else...Oh, washing ones floors and taking spiritual baths also is a focus of root work which is basically combining specific herbs/roots in water and in a ritual fashion washing ones floors or ones self. There are of course different recipes for different purpose (success, protection, cleansing, ect.).

The thing that drew me to this magic work however, is the fact that it primarily deals with “spirits” not deities. It does not require a religion (and it's not a religion, but a practice). I do not believe in a religion nor am I an atheist...but a spiritualist. I believe in energy after death. In root work, you work with spirits and have spirits work for you. I think it's a mixture of natural, will based and talismanic magic.root work isn't by any means anti-religion however. You can be Christian, Hindu, Jew, Dou and simply use it to enrich your religious experience....or use your religion to enrich your root work practice. It's very versatile and I've met quite a few other magic practitioners who use bits of root work in their own (pagan, wiccan, druid) magic.

CrysCat- Thank you for taking an interest and reading up a bit on it! Rootwork/hoodoo is on of the most interesting topics I think I've ever studied.

Laurie Ann – In root work any time you conjure that will have a “negative effect” on someone else...it is considered black magic. There are degrees of black magic. Laying a trick for an enemy with the intention of causing a disruption in their love life or work is relatively mild compared to a “Love me or die” spell which means just that...”love me...or die soon or live the rest of your life in ill health.”. Black magic isn't necessarily frowned upon, but anyone who is considering using it to a higher degree is urged to consider the ramifications it will have on their target and their own spirituality. I heard one man say that if you wouldn't be willing to put a gun to someones head and pull the trigger, then you shouldn't lay a (high degree) trick on them either.

As I said....I'm only in my first month of learning. I didn't realize how much I've learned. It has been interesting to set down and just start writing about it. I noticed places where I have huge gaping holes of info and other places where I had to stop myself from “over detailing” a description.

Thanks for replying everyone:)

#8 Kristen L

Kristen L

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Here is the best definition of Hoodoo/Rootwork, as found on the Lucky Mojo website. I joined Cat Yronwood's Hoodoo Rootwork course several years ago. She is highly regarded as being one of the foremost authorities on the subject today.

http://www.luckymojo...y.html#hoodoois

#9 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

Never heard of this subject as "HOODOO".. That's a word we use around my part of the world to mean "full of nonsense"..
On a more serious note... Rootwork is awsome... My family has used it for generation to cure things like asthma in young children and to purify the blood... I've heard it refered to witchcraft,,witchdoctoring,etc..
I agree as to it being a spiritual work because ya have to really believe in the spirits and engeries of all living things including plants and trees...Depending on what ya use this knowledge is for wheither it be for healing or more.. When dealing with healing ya must learn the right concoction for the right person otherwise ya could OD someone or make them worse...Same goes for the protection Bags or Spiritual rites involed with this trade... Too much or to little or even a left out herb or root cuold bring about something negative instead of Possitive...
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users