Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Technological Advances

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Are we going overboard with technology?

Are we going overboard with technology?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

Okay I got the idea for this poll from Camille yesterday evening while we were talking about phones. Of course I was talking about a land line and she was talking about a cellular phone, but I was somewhat surprised when she said that she was relieved when her cell phone died.

Then I was laying bed last night watching Jay Leno and during his monologue, he mentioned that by 2009 we'll be able to watch television/movies on our cell phones. His joke about this was, "So now you'll be able to watch CNN and see all of the accidents that you're causing behind you while you watch tv."

My first concern would be how viewing a 2" screen constantly would affect your eyesight. We already know that spending hours upon hours in front of a computer monitor wreaks havoc on your eyes, how much worse it will be for you to stare at a 2" screen where everything is so much tinier. Of course the ophthalmic physicians of the world would love it I'm sure.

Aside from that, I don't understand the point of combining a cell phone with a digital camera. Or a cell phone that allows you to read books. I certainly wouldn't access the internet via cell phone.

So what is your opinion? Are you like Camille and I? Do you love technology and eagerly scour the sites like Cnet for the next big thing? Or are you somewhere in between?

I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

The One Within!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:03 PM

I voted In some areas of life, but not others

As for cell phones are concerned, I am all for any technological advancements, because my life revolves around this little gadget!

But I assume there are certain trivial stuff around, whch I may not be interested.

Take my hand and we'll go riding through the sunshine from above

#3 Boointhecity

Boointhecity

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:32 PM

I use a cellular phone -- but it was a hand-me-down from my older brother. I don't use it for the internet and it is incapable of taking pictures -- all of which I am glad of! :)

And if I use it while I am in the car, I do my best to be somewhere parked safely. :D

I look at a cellular phone as being more of a tool to make your life easier. ;)

#4 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:supernatural, history, reading, writing, criminology, cartoons, camping

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:41 PM

because my life revolves around this little gadget!

That's another thing. People center their lives around these gadgets and when the gadget breaks, they act as if the world is going to end. And they become obsessed with upgrading it to the latest model. That's both sad and frightening.
I love Shanon.Currently running Life 3.3 operating system. Upgrade due in 8 months.My Forum

#5 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

I voted Yes,

I sell technology, what I see happening in my industry is that business managers expect technology to manage people for them. No one seems to want to communicate face to face, they want email, voice mail, voice recognition, and reports, reports, reports!

When I leave my office the only technology I use is my tv remote for one hour while I watch my soap that I taped that day.

I for one am sick of technology - I am just too old to keep learning this new stuff.
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#6 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for your input Melly! I was hoping someone here would be in your industry. :)

#7 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

i voted in some areas of life but not others

simply because we have the technology to send people into outer space or blow ourselves up at least a million times (exaggerating but still)
and yet we cant find cures for certain diseases people are still starving in some parts of the world
and whats going to happen when the supply of fossil fuels runs out...people were worried about y2k? thats going to be the real global shut down to send us back into the caveman days if some form of alternative energy isnt found
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#8 IceGoddess

IceGoddess

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

and yet we cant find cures for certain diseases people are still starving in some parts of the world

I agree with everything you've said lula, but I believe we do have ways to help people in those parts of the world, it's just that their governments want money from us in order to feed them.

Like you, I think we need to refocus ourselves. We're focused too much on making lives convenient with the gadgets when we should focus on helping others, as you said.

#9 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:31 PM

Lula, the next big scare will be in 2038 -- when 32 bits for a date will no longer be enough! To make matters even scarier, that's about when Social Security is expected to go bankrupt in the U.S. If you have a 32-bit computer (including Pentium 4), please upgrade to 64 bit in the next 4 years.

The whole idea behind these mukti-function devices is that we only have to carry one. Before, we had our cell phone, PDA, and camera. Now it's one convient package that fits in a pocket.

When something (anything) takes over your life, it's time to take a step back. I still don't have a cell phone, and my PDA can't surf the web. I used to upgrade my computer every 6-9 months (new CPU chip, more RAM, etc) until I did the math and saw just how much I was spending.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#10 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

To make matters even scarier, that's about when Social Security is expected to go bankrupt in the U.S.

thats what really gets me is the fact i put in for social security that ill never get when i may need it <_<
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#11 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

I voted "yes," as I, the hippocritical luddite, sit here typing on the computer. LOL!

In his book, Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury predicted a futuristic society where every household had interactive TVs, each person carried a communication device that allowed them to be accessible to anyone at anytime, where there is an over-reliance on useless data (the internet), and where sports (rather than politics or other relevant life issues) was the main obsession.

He wrote this book over 50 years ago.

I do think we are becoming too dependent on technology. In many cases, it replaces human contact and dilutes independent thinking and creativity.

As one of the characters in the book said:

"School is shortened, discipline relaxed, philosophies, histories, languages dropped, English and spelling gradually neglected, finally almost ignored. Life is immediate, the job counts, pleasure lies all about after work. Why learn anything save pressing buttons, pulling switches, fitting nuts and bolts?"
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#12 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:38 PM

Yeah, Camevil likes her technology. She has a froggie cell phone that vibrates!

:) ;) :weeee: :weeee: :weeee: :lol:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#13 Zodiac

Zodiac

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:DDR, Snakes &amp; The Super Natural

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:48 PM

I said no since I think the technology is amazing & it can help people in many ways & could even save lives. I got a PSP & its the most unbelivable electronical device I ever owned. On a memory thats about half a square inch big & only about 1 mm thick you can hold hundreds of mega-bytes. Technology could also help with surgeory so it could save lives & help stop diseases & down syndrome.

#14 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

I voted no.

Technology has made it possible for us to find cures to diseases faster. It has made it easy for medical professionals to share thoughts, and ideas, without having to talk on the phone for hours on end. It has allowed us to visit other parts of the world and talk to those from different areas. It has allowed us to make friends with people half way around the world without having to worry about a Visa, or a passport. Yes, in someways it has made us a lazy society, and we are becoming dependent on it. But is that the fault of technology or society?

Technology, used in conjunction with the daily facets of life, and not in place of them, is beneficial. It's the consumer who likes the laid back life afforded by these gadgets and gizmos. Nobody is forcing you to sit in front of a computer instead of going out for a walk. The only person allowing the television to be the babysitter is the parent.

I think technology has advantages, and most of the tech toys that come to us as consumers are spin offs of technology used for other things. Maybe I am living in a fantasy world, but I think that technology has the ability to get us out of the mess that the world is in now.

Who remembers the big blackout a few years ago? Technology all crashed, but the world survived.
Posted Image

#15 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

As one of the characters in the book said:

"School is shortened, discipline relaxed, philosophies, histories, languages dropped, English and spelling gradually neglected, finally almost ignored. Life is immediate, the job counts, pleasure lies all about after work. Why learn anything save pressing buttons, pulling switches, fitting nuts and bolts?"

Camille that is astounding!

The first time I wrote a marketing piece for my companym I started it...

A greeting card that plays Happy Birthday conatins more technology than existed on Earth 50 years ago.

And that was almost 20 years ago...aggghh I'm so old.
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users