• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:53 PM

Anyone a member of IGHS? (International Ghost Hunters Society)

A few years ago they were pretty open and friendly, but I went to their web site recently and they seem more about money these days.

;)
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#2 rivermom

rivermom

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:16 PM

I used to go there alot, just to read and I receive their weekly newsletter, but it does seem that they advertise alot more for sale than they did in the beginning.

#3 FloridaGhostChapter

FloridaGhostChapter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations.Ghosts,Spirits.

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:02 AM

I also was a member some time ago but was always skeptical about their intentions.

#4 Aeryn406

Aeryn406

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:34 PM

I'm a member, also. For a while, they were the only game in town, but now there are lots of local groups. And, yeah, they did get more about money than ghosts, recently. Sharon's even selling carnelian jewelry now, with little ghost charms ... I guess their constant RV traveling is running into a lot of money ...

#5 feusurlaneige

feusurlaneige

Not a very good "ghost" detective!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:02 PM

I get their newsletters which I find interesting and I like their perspective but think some things there are just money spinners & it turns me off a little

#6 tkite

tkite

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. <br><br>

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:19 AM

Yeah..... it kind of clinched it for me, when I went there and saw them selling a cd or something on how to investigate paranormal activity etc, and get a certificate.... all for as little as SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS..... you heard right folks, SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS...... Smackeroos... people, big money.

I can see a $35 kit, but not several hundred bucks. Come on....!

:D
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#7 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:52 AM

Wow, that;s pretty disheartening. You know? I mean sell a CD for $20 a piece or something. What's all in this kit of there? just a CD? I thought it included all the silly gizzmos too.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#8 blueivvy

blueivvy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:03 AM

They recently had a conference here in Texas, charging a rather high admission..around $80. Other ghost conferences here average about $40 admission.

I emailed Dave Oester, and wanted to know what the agenda was, who the speakers were. I needed more info if I was going to shell out that much money. His basic response was that he and Sharon would be speaking, and that was all I needed to know.

They didn't get my $80 after such a snotty reply, and a friend who went said that it was just Dave speaking about EVP and they led a ghost hunt. Whoop-de-do! My friend wasn't very impressed either.

#9 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:30 AM

They do seem to be a bunch of arses don't they? I'm not impressed when people hold that air of arrogance over everyone else. Sad.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#10 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:21 AM

Heck, N.M.P.I has a disc that helps you get on the road to ghost hunting that sells for $20.00. I wold give it away free if I could get all the materials and ship for free. We use the $20 to help us out with some of the huge expenses of ghost hunting. Like film developing, tapes, video tape, film itself. Anything more than that and you are ripping people off. I find them disgusting.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 blueivvy

blueivvy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:21 PM

Do you know they actually claim to have coined the word 'orb'?

There is a big difference between covering expenses and price gouging so you don't have to hold a real job. *sigh* And the real world thinks THEY are the reputable ones I bet.

#12 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:29 AM

My husband and I drove up to reno to check them out about 3 years ago.
They are a joke.....

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#13 jenbrown

jenbrown

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:44 PM

Here's a funny interview with Dave Oester on Audiomartini site. Basically he is very defensive and really makes himself look bad.

http://www.audiomartini.co.uk/
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#14 twodarb

twodarb

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Well the obvious...paranormal, specifically ghosts, more specifcally EVP's, but first my family, dogs, and walking.

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:31 PM

They are not very well liked anywhere I have gone either. What do you need a certificate on investigation for? Where would it be appliable??? It is not a science that the government recognizes as in needing a cert to investigate ghosts!

That is very annoying to see someone out there trying to take money from innocent people who have a clue as to what they are about. The more people spread the word about IGHS, the better off they will be in finding a true investigator that is willing to help them.
"I know it and I feel itJust as well as you do, HoneyIt's not our fault if death's in love with us It's not our fault if the reaper holds our hearts""Death Is In Love With Us"~HIM~Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:37 PM

I have been a member for ages but with the recent attitude change and their war with TAPS I am seriously reconsidering my affiliation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users