IGHS

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:22 AM

While I agree with many of Dave's theories and techniques for the most part, I don't agree with all of them. I would like to add that they don't charge people to investigate a haunting. The money that they make selling thngs is most likely used to keep up the website and other miscellaneous expenses associated with IGHS. Many of the things they plug do seem a bit far fetched as far as price. Most of the items (like certificates) are really more of a novelty than anything.

I have met Dave and Sharon about two years ago while they were in my area. They didn't seem rude back then. I have sent several e-mails to them also and got a courteous response. But still I don't like to pass judgement on them, because they have given me some information regarding investigation techniques and they didn't ask for money.

Edited by Axman, 10 November 2005 - 02:27 AM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#17 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:34 PM

I was always a fan until recentally with the interview and a few accounts of him barging in on other investigators and taking over their hunts. Plus the war with TAPS is just degrading the two orginizations to the point where it is hard to take them serious anymore.

#18 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:53 PM

While I agree with many of Dave's theories and techniques for the most part, I don't agree with all of them. I would like to add that they don't charge people to investigate a haunting. The money that they make selling thngs is most likely used to keep up the website and other miscellaneous expenses associated with IGHS. Many of the things they plug do seem a bit far fetched as far as price. Most of the items (like certificates) are really more of a novelty than anything.

I have met Dave and Sharon about two years ago while they were in my area. They didn't seem rude back then. I have sent several e-mails to them also and got a courteous response. But still I don't like to pass judgement on them, because they have given me some information regarding investigation techniques and they didn't ask for money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$300.00 for a certificate is pretty steep ya gotta admit...

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#19 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:35 PM

Very steep, there are actual institutes that offer diplomas by mail that are cheaper.

#20 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:28 AM

I don't agree with charging that much for a novelty item like a certificate. Like I said, it's just a novety and I sure as heck wouldn't shell it out. Paranormal investigating isn't something that really needs a certificate. It's not a licensed profession, it's more like a freelance science.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#21 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:35 AM

I agree, right now in my opinion there are so many differant techniques and differant views that have not been proven either way and that alone would make it difficult to see any one researcher's diploma or certificate as a valid form.

#22 jenbrown

jenbrown

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:52 PM

Here is certificate that has a little more merit than the IGHS one. It's a course in Parapsychological studies thats actually an accredited college vocational course.

http://www.mindreader.com/paraprogram/

Edited by jenbrown, 11 November 2005 - 03:53 PM.

"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#23 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:43 PM

Is Auerbach associated with that one?

#24 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:26 AM

I think some of Dave Oester theories are wacky. though IGHS is the largest ghost society in the world. I though both T.A.P.S and I.G.H.S were acting childish when they were fighting over e-mails.

#25 HauntedWebby

HauntedWebby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

I've emailed with Dave, and he was always nice.

I think people are convinced that he is the best in the field because he presents himself as having a doctorate. Which he does as a minister.

I missed the whole war between TAPS and IGHS, except that IGHS tells people to constantly email TAPS with nasty stuff. I've never seen anything on the TAPS side. Oh well, one things I've noticed is lots of egos in ghost investigation.

I have a copy of his EVP program (no I didn't pay for it). All the information on there is information that can be found on the Internet. Then you take a test by listening to recordings and telling which ones are EVPs and which ones are not. If you don't want to search the net, it is kinda handy to have it all on one CD. I'd rather search the net myself.

Since neither of them work, they need to make money somehow. So they have to sell things or people have to donate to them. People just don't like to donate as much, so they have to pitch their wears. It's the American way. You really shouldn't hold it against them. I see other paranormal groups do it also but don't receive as much flack about it.

Now it may seem like I have a soft spot for IGHS, but really I think they are not as great as they pretend to be. If you look at their site, 70% (or more) of it is from other people. I know for a fact that they have used other people EVPs and presented them as their own on the Jeff whatever show. So for me their credibility is not very good .. but it sure does seem that people like to hold them to a higher standard then other groups and pick on them a lot!
~~~HauntedWebby~~~ http://www.hauntedwebby.com http://www.lazarusmaze.com "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

#26 jenbrown

jenbrown

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:08 PM

I think any one who publicly puts themselves out there as a ghosthunter is subject to a large amount of criticism but while others take that criticism in stride, Dave gets defensive and rude and that's when people start really judging him.

Yes he is greatly regarded in his field and yes, they do devote all their time to investigating therefore need to make a buck somehow but if he wants people to hold him in the highest regards as far as credibility and willingness to pay for his tapes than he should start acting a lot more professional.
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#27 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:00 PM

I agree entirely with what you are saying. It seems to me that Dave is taking the route so many have taken lately and that is ego driven as opposed to research driven

#28 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

I have also found another course for $95, if one choses to go that route.

Paranormal Studies

#29 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:13 AM

Flamel is supposed to offer a really good course I am told

#30 MNPSG_Adam

MNPSG_Adam

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:29 AM

I have to admit that I am on the TAPS side of the conflict between the two as being a TAPS family member and having worked with Jason and Grant before.

Dave Oester is a joke and should not be charging people that kind of money for anything. On the same note, anyone who pays this man for his course is naive and probably shouldn't be out in the dark wandering around or trying to contact homeowners with problems.

I added much spark to the early fire with an article that has been linked off of the TAPS main website to mine.

I will also say for the record that way back in the day when I was first getting into this, the IGHS website was a good resource but after seeing the stuff that is on there now from photographs that were obviously faked to and his income scheme, I think anyone who would like to be respectable should drive this guy out of our field.

Edited by MNPSG_Adam, 21 November 2005 - 01:32 AM.

Team Directorwww.MinnesotaGhosts.com- Home of the Minnesota Paranormal Study Group -TAPS FAMILY MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users