Cats as messengers?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

As with some of my other posts that don't seem to fit specifically in any one category, I hope this is correct to stick this in 'General' - please feel free to move, Mods, if not. Anyhow, recently we have had some (more of the same) activity mostly involving of all things the bathroom - people hear footsteps outside the door when no one is there; my husband even experienced having the door 'pulled' as if someone were keeping him from opening the door. The bathroom door lets out onto the hallway, where my youngest has seen something he is really quite frightened of, but can't explain adequately. The gist of my question is whether cats showing up in our lives is any kind of message or entity? If there is any history along that line that anyone knows of? We have had a lot of stress with family illness, and this beautiful cat has just adopted us - We can't track where she goes when she's out, though my husband has tried, and she would appear to be feral if not for the fact that she has to be the most potty-trained being I have ever seen, and she adores just sleeping with us and from the first was trusting enough to roll over and expose her belly. Both my husband and I find ourselves speaking of her in human terms, and have said that it feels like someone (intelligent) is looking back at us when we look in her stunningly beautiful eyes. (See, there I go!). Are there any records of cats specifically turning up out of nowhere and being messengers of some sort?
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#2 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

Well, I guess it could be, but maybe it's just a wonderful cat that is meant to be with you.

She sounds like a wonderful new addition to your family. :kitty:
petunia4998

#3 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hi, Miriam, they're extraordinarily intelligent creatures and very attuned to mood and atmosphere
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#4 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

That is how we got our cat. He was a stray in the neighborhood and judging by his size, I estimated he was about 6 months old. I felt sorry for him, as he was obviously a house cat that either got lost or was gotten rid of. His appearance in the neighborhood coincided with the moving out of some college kids. I let him in the house to feed him three years ago this week. He was in good health, well groomed, and litter trained. Animals seem to sense a safe environment - where there is food and care. My guess is that this stray showed up and naturally you offered some care. Poor kitty was hungry, lonely, and probably scared to death. You folks must have looked like a god-send to it. One bit of trivia I've always loved is that a cat's brain function is very similar to human brain function. That explains why they seem to look into our souls when they look at us or seem to know what we are thinking. I don't know that I've ever heard of a cat appearing because of it being a spiritual messenger of any kind. I do believe that animals and people enter our lives when we most need someone/thing to be there for us. You're going through a tough time, so a stray shows up for you to take care it and it shows its gratitude by snuggles, etc. And then again, maybe it shouldn't be over-analyzed. Maybe you should just enjoy your nice new pet!
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#5 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Another trivia fact. Ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as living gods. Many pharoes were buried with at least one cat because cats were the guardians of the underworld to keep evil spirits from coming back. So there is my useless fact for the day LOL
Kevin SkatteboRemember remember the 5th of November the gun powder treason and plot, I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,357 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as living gods.

They still are!
Posted Image

#7 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts, and, Redhead, yeah I agree I don't want to overanalyze (as I am prone to do-one day I'll relate my funny anecdote about 'overanalyzing'), and we do just adore her. We believe she is a distinct breed, called a 'toyger' - given that my first cat as a child was 'Tiger' -long "i"; and my cat through childhood into adulthood was 'Tigger' (as in Pooh bear), I thought it made nice circular sense for this one to be 'Toyger'. Moonie, did you mean that Egyptians still worship cats, or that cats are still 'gods'. Contrary to my many sons, I think cats are wonderfully spiritual and intelligent animals, though I may not be quite up to 'worshipping' them. My belief is that cats unlike dogs, are a great teaching tool for kids on unconditional love. Still curious if cats and supernatural/paranatural activity have been reported to be linked somehow??
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#8 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

Just a question, but why do you not feel that dogs are not a great teaching tool for unconditional love? :)
petunia4998

#9 APPORT

APPORT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

Wow, Miriam... you've almost repeated exactly how we got one of our beautiful, exotic, loving, friendly, cuddly kitties. Ours adopted us as well, during a time when our lives were very stressful. It clings to me as if it has known me 5 lifetimes over.

Everything happens for a reason - I firmly believe this.

#10 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

Just a question, but why do you not feel that dogs are not a great teaching tool for unconditional love? :kitty:

I probably mis-spoke (mis-wrote?) a bit. Not that dogs are NOT teaching tools, but that dogs as the loyal and loving beings they are, can teach us by their example, about unconditional love; cats teach us for almost the opposite reason-with cats WE have to learn unconditional love, since cats largely, choose us and give their love on their own time. As a friend of mine who is a fire chief says, he never finds cat skeletons, but they do find dogs staying with their master regardless of the danger to themselves. They are just two different, noble beings who teach us different lessons. Hope that makes some sense without dissing on dogs OR cats.

#11 crazycatwoman

crazycatwoman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

I have to agree that cats are messengers. mine showed up in our garage 2 years ago, emaciated, and about 4 weeks old. I saw no parent cats that looked anyhting like him. We just went out to do laundry one day and there he was. He lets me know when I'm getting a spiritual visitor, but usually by urinating on the bed :kitty: Within the hour, the tv goes on and the living room lights. It takes 2 remotes for the tv sound.

#12 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

It's lovely to hear others stories of finding their cats (cats finding them/us). Too bad about how you receive the messages crazycatwoman! What's doubly odd about our cat (I guess she's 'ours') is that she will NEVER go in the house, and when she has gone outside we can never trace her wanderings. My (joking) guess is that she exits through some portal and then comes back to us when she wishes! She also does seem to like the masculine members of the household more than me (I'm surrounded, except for the kitty) - she sees me as competition?? I would be curious to know if any of you who have 'found' cats have experienced them mysteriously disappearing and if it is connected to anything apparently spiritual when/if they do?

#13 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

Oiur stray, an intact male, goes out every night around dusk. He scoots around the corner of the house, into the plants and I don't see him until morning when the dogs go out. There's nothing supernatural, in my opinion, about it. They are small and fleet of foot, and it only seems like they disappear. Animal planet has some good shows about cats and their behavior. One of them showed a cat's movements throughout its territory during a 24 hour period by attaching a small camcorder to its collar. Cats can range up to two miles, marking their territory (females as well as males), hunting, mating, etc. It's amazing just how far they travel and how much they do in that 24 hour period. There is a lot out there in nature that seems supernatural simply because it is out of our sight.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#14 kskattebo

kskattebo

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I was given a cat that was a stray and even though he sneaks out the door sometimes he must like his home he always stays close. And for being a former stray I in a way find this odd but like someone said they seem to pick you not the other way around.
Kevin SkatteboRemember remember the 5th of November the gun powder treason and plot, I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.

#15 john travers

john travers

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts, and, Redhead, yeah I agree I don't want to overanalyze (as I am prone to do-one day I'll relate my funny anecdote about 'overanalyzing'), and we do just adore her. We believe she is a distinct breed, called a 'toyger' - given that my first cat as a child was 'Tiger' -long "i"; and my cat through childhood into adulthood was 'Tigger' (as in Pooh bear), I thought it made nice circular sense for this one to be 'Toyger'. Moonie, did you mean that Egyptians still worship cats, or that cats are still 'gods'. Contrary to my many sons, I think cats are wonderfully spiritual and intelligent animals, though I may not be quite up to 'worshipping' them. My belief is that cats unlike dogs, are a great teaching tool for kids on unconditional love. Still curious if cats and supernatural/paranatural activity have been reported to be linked somehow??

when we had a ton of spirit activity we ended up with 3 new cats and a lot of the activity was demonic. not sure what the role was of the cats but they picked our home and wouldnt leave.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users