• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

True that. And of course, what are we talking about? The input or the output. The datasheets almost never specify the input frequency response. Many don't specify either. And the manufacturers almost never answer their email. :whoohoo:
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#32 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

True that. And of course, what are we talking about? The input or the output. The datasheets almost never specify the input frequency response. Many don't specify either. And the manufacturers almost never answer their email. :whoohoo:

True, but keep in mind 90% of the people who buy a computer simply want sound. Quality is not a big issue with them so the manufacturer will use any generic sound card that works to meet an undemanding spec. There may even be variations as time goes by and sources change.

But the demanding user can always buy an aftermarket sound card. These are usually available WITH specs, since those users are more demanding. Of course you pay more for that level of quality, but that is as it always has been. After all, who worries about the frequency response of an AM table radio? But if you are buying a good stereo system, the frequency response figures are almost always available. Same goes for a computer. Do you demanda level of performance, or are you satisfied with generic? The price will reflect your choices.

#33 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

But the demanding user can always buy an aftermarket sound card.

Right. I was referring to aftermarket cards. Even the pricier ones are less than forthcoming with their specs. And as for built-ins... well... forget it. You *might* be able to identify a chipset. But without a schematic, there's just no way to tell how they configured it. However I *do* know that the sound card in my antique Precision 370 will record down to 15Hz. I still need to determine if the limit is the card or the LF transducer, but I'm working on it as time permits.

#34 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

... but I'm pretty sure it picked up the quake in Chile.

Never mind. Since I didn't pick up yesterday's 7.2 (in my back yard), then I sure didn't pick up the monster in Chile. I haven't given up yet, though!

"Endeavor to persevere!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users