11 replies to this topic

#1 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal. music. creating web sites

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

How can you tell the difference between dust orbs and ghost orbs?

#2 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

Very good question...although it maybe hard to answer because no one is an expert in the field yet. Unless one of us dies, then becomes a spirit, *THEN* able to tell us how spirits show themselves in other ways than in body form well, I think it's just one of those questions that will take years to find the answer to.

Some folks believe that a dust orb appears one way, while others believe that spirits have only enough energy to show themselves in orb-form...regardless of what the orb looks like.

Now you've got me wanting to go look in the archives of GV here & see if anyone has come up with an answer for this. Good question none the less Whirly Dude
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

Easiest way I use is since a ghost orb is supposed to be energy it will emit light of its own accord. That is it will either illuminate nearby object in the picture or will cause objects to cast shadows.

If it is a passive orb it will cause a shadow of itself to be seen in the picture. The light reflected back from an object of any appreciable size will have to be blocked from hitting the background behind it, thus the shadow. Consider if you held a baseball in place about 6 feet from the camera (average claimed distance for orbs). The ball will cast a shadow of itself.

Dust orbs are very small and as such will not cast a shadow of themselves. They also require the flash to illuminate them. Thus any orb falling in this last category (most do) are dust or particulate matter near the camera.

#4 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

Easiest way I use is since a ghost orb is supposed to be energy it will emit light of its own accord. That is it will either illuminate nearby object in the picture or will cause objects to cast shadows.

If it is a passive orb it will cause a shadow of itself to be seen in the picture. The light reflected back from an object of any appreciable size will have to be blocked from hitting the background behind it, thus the shadow. Consider if you held a baseball in place about 6 feet from the camera (average claimed distance for orbs). The ball will cast a shadow of itself.

Dust orbs are very small and as such will not cast a shadow of themselves. They also require the flash to illuminate them. Thus any orb falling in this last category (most do) are dust or particulate matter near the camera.

thanks for clearing that up for me! i have also heard that orbs may seem to contain a nucleus, but to me dust also seems to have that sort of look so i wasnt sure if there was anything else to really go by. if you or anyone else has any other ways to tell the difference please let me know. thanks again.

Edited by LanceM, 21 October 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

The nucleus effect is actually a chromatic aberration caused by the characteristics of the light going through the lens. Since it is far beyond the normal depth of field, the colors are separated as they go through the differing thickness of the glass. this causes the "nucleus" effect.

#6 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

The nucleus effect is actually a chromatic aberration caused by the characteristics of the light going through the lens. Since it is far beyond the normal depth of field, the colors are separated as they go through the differing thickness of the glass. this causes the "nucleus" effect.

so its basically colors just separated by the lens?

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

That is correct with regards to dust / particulate matter.

While we are on the subject, another factor to consider regarding energy orbs. They will not have well defined edges. The reason is in theory the energy is radiating from the focal point. But energy follows the inverse square laws. As you get farther from its point of origin it weakens. Thus an energy orb would be brightest at the center, then gradually fade as you move away from the center, not the well defined edges most orb photos display. There is nothing phsical to confine the energy around an orb so the laws apply. Now if the orb had a "shell" of some kind you might get this well defined edge, but then the shell or its effects (shadows) would be visible as well. I 've never seen that effect in any photo, but if I do then I'll have to rethink this part of the theory.

#8 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

That is correct with regards to dust / particulate matter.

While we are on the subject, another factor to consider regarding energy orbs. They will not have well defined edges. The reason is in theory the energy is radiating from the focal point. But energy follows the inverse square laws. As you get farther from its point of origin it weakens. Thus an energy orb would be brightest at the center, then gradually fade as you move away from the center, not the well defined edges most orb photos display. There is nothing phsical to confine the energy around an orb so the laws apply. Now if the orb had a "shell" of some kind you might get this well defined edge, but then the shell or its effects (shadows) would be visible as well. I 've never seen that effect in any photo, but if I do then I'll have to rethink this part of the theory.

never thought of that before. thanks for clearing all of that up for me and giving me advice on what to look for. greatly appreciate it!

Edited by LanceM, 22 October 2009 - 03:14 PM.

#9 Tanner_TVP

Tanner_TVP

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:I love sports. I played football in high school. I've been ghost hunting and investigation since 2001. I have been a private investigator for a little over four years. I use many of the same investigative techniques to study the paranormal that I use to solve my cases. I treat my haunting cases with the same care and precision as any other case I work. I believe that thorough documentation and detailed study of activity will give us insight into the causes of haunting and ghost activity. I like working with others in the field especially those with more experience. My favorite thing about this field is that there is always something to learn.<br />

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

Telling energy from dust is only one problem with orbs. Orbs happen naturally. They are just free floating bubbles of energy. They can be from an abundance natural energy or be caused by leakage from poorly insolated wires and outlets. Sometimes you can catch them leaking out of old electrical boxes if you set a camera up near it. Iím not saying that ghosts donít manifest in this was, but itís to easily disproven. Thatís why we donít use them to base our findings.
TannerTennessee Valley Paranormal

#10 Haunting Research

Haunting Research

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations of course! I am also a scuba diver and love to go fishing and four wheeling!

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

This is actually very easy really but often times very misunderstood.

A real paranormal orb will emit its own light and have mass to it. It will appear 3 dimensional.

A dust orb will look very thin and semi-transparent. If it has a ring around it and a nucleus is is ALWAYS a dust orb or pollen, etc.

Here are a couple links to video that show real orbs and how they should look:

The second video is of an orb that manifests into a shadow. Enjoy!
Posted Image

#11 RodoBabbins

RodoBabbins

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

Most of what a dust orb is can be seen during video with IR, the orb will change in brightness. Becoming brighter has it moves to center of frame then dimming as it leaves the frame. Now this is not going to be the case for shooting in light or during the day since there is equal amount of visable light. What the others have said is correct with what we know currently on Orbs, that true orbs will produce their own light. Now with that thinking if the orb is in fact true It will also create a shadow of itself since it is an object as well. But this is just my 2cents ;)
JoshCo-FounderSafe Harbor Paranormal

#12 outsider39

outsider39

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

I have only seen a few orbs that I felt were spirit orbs.These orbs could be seen in the daylight with the naked eye.They were that bright.Some of them could hover in the air like a flying saucer,then they could go from being still to a tremendous rate of speed in just a second.You could not see through them and they looked three dimensional as mentioned in previous emails.Orbs can often be seen in groups at battlefields and other places where a lot of people died such as at the site of a major fire.To me they look like a ball of light with great intensity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users