29 replies to this topic

#16 Tangnefedd

Tangnefedd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, poetry and writing

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

I like the HP books, some of the stories are a lot more credible than those in the OT!
www.y-mynach.co.uk

#17 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:04 PM

What's the 'OT"?

And credible or not, the Harry Potter series is simply a work of fiction.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#18 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

The Old Testament (the Hebrew Bible) and the New Testament are marketed as Scripture. AFAIK no religion has promoted Harry Potter to that status.

BTW, I love the Harry Potter books as fantasy and can't wait for the Goblet of Fire movie to be released.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#19 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

Hmm...alright. OT is Old Testemant. But I'm still not seeing WHY Harry Potter, a work of fiction meant to entertain children (and adults) is more credible than a series of books penned by religious mystics, prophets and visionaries.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#20 Griffon

Griffon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:48 PM

I love reading the books too. And the movies are good. Can't wait for GOF to come out next month.

#21 Tangnefedd

Tangnefedd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

Te authors of the OT did not have the benefit of our understanding of science and did the best job they could to explain the world around them. some of the stories are not very credible are they? The Garden of Eden and the flood to name but two are unlikely to say the least!. I am a very liberal Christian who does not believe in the literal truth of the Bible, I don't know many evangelicals that do either!

There are some extreme fundamentalist Christians who style themselves YECs Young Earth Creationists. They believe that the earth is only 6000 years old! How credible is that?
www.y-mynach.co.uk

#22 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:30 PM

Te authors of the OT did not have the benefit of our understanding of science and did the best job they could to explain the world around them. some of the stories are not very credible are they? The Garden of Eden and the flood to name but two are unlikely to say the least!. I am a very liberal Christian who does not believe in the literal truth of the Bible, I don't know many evangelicals that do either!

There are some extreme fundamentalist Christians who style themselves YECs Young Earth Creationists. They believe that the earth is only 6000 years old! How credible is that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is archeological/geological evidence for a major catastrophic flood in the region now associated with the lands of the Bible. Not exactly a 'world wide' flood, but given how the people at that time percevied the world, to them it was.

So, flood itself, yes. Happened.

Otherwise, what you are referring to is simply a form of mythology. NO, and I repeat NO culture with creation myths had 'credible' ones. It's a myth. A method of explaination exactly for the reasons you give, and the majority of Christians (for example) are 100% aware of that. They KNOW it's not to be taken literally although I do conceed that there is a small, but vocal, minority that do. Do not tar all Christians with that brush though. Totally unfair.

On the other hand, the tales to be found in the Harry Potter book are really, in the end, no more credible, since they are nothing more than works of fiction from the imagination of a very good author. So really, I still can't see the point you've drawn.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#23 aya&aki

aya&aki

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:arts, music, literature, science... and a bunch of other stuff that I'd like to keep private.

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

:wave:  :whee: There are some extreme fundamentalist Christians who style themselves YECs Young Earth Creationists. They believe that the earth is only 6000 years old! How credible is that?

Hi I'm a Catholic and I've been studying in a Catholic school for years.

The Garden of Eden and Adam and Eve are just symbols of what really took place... the reason? East Asian and Indian people were already flourishing even before Israel and Egypt.... Infact the first three civilizations sprouted in Asia, namely Huang Ho and Yangtze Valley, The fertile Crescent.....

Even the story of David and Goliath has it's exagerations.... perhaps its a mistranslation from the original texts to the english version.... probably the word 'big' beacame 'gigantic' and although they are synonymous 'gigantic' is different from big.... so Goliath became a giant instead of just a very tall and wide person...

And about the Harry Potter books... like it! But I would prefer the Chronicles of Narnia, but that's just me... :whee: :headbang: :clap: :Spaz: :vampire:
"The Open-mindness of a person can be measured by his/her ability to accept that everything is right and everything is wrong. There are no such things as contradictions, just two sides of the same coin." -Samantha Williams

#24 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:28 PM

Narnia was written by C. S. Lewis - a devout Christian (his non fiction works include Mere Christianity - a very insightful read).

From what I understand of David and Goliath, the giant was just over 7 feet tall. He was a giant, but not in the sense as the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk.

There are two major schools of thought regarding Adam and Eve in my Church. Brigham Young and James E. Talmage believed in pre-Adamites -- people who lived on this earth before Adam and Eve. They taught that Adam and Eve were merely the parents of our race, and the first to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ. Joseph Fielding Smith and Bruce R McConkie taught that Adam and Eve were literally the first humans on this world. The Church has not declared which school of thought it officially accepts (Brigham Young and Joseph Fielding Smith were both prophets and Presidents of the Church).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#25 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:41 AM

I tell you that people are starting to read too much into this book, trying to find hidden meanings that are not there......i have only read a couple of the posts so bear with me on this....harry potter is not a satanist for one......this book is not teaching kids about the cult/ occult let alone to join one......i also do not think that anyone should be using this book to teach kids about god or any other type of religion for that matter.....this book came out as a book to keep kids interested in reading rather than watch tv and to actually use their minds and explore the creative side of their minds....... whats next.......Seasame Street was teaching kids about sex and Barney was teaching kids about mass suicide? Get real people........Stop looking so hard for things that are not there,,,,as for the magic and everything else, bad teachings or not tru teachings, for gods sake its a fiction book.......the kids love as do it.....teaches nothing but doing the right thing and not giving into peer pressure and things of that nature....sticking up for yourself and all the things kids should learn nothing more......

Thats just like letting them watch a movie and something they do not be true to life...people its fiction...

Get over it.....
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Tangnefedd

Tangnefedd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

I tell you that people are starting to read too much into this book,  trying to find hidden meanings that are not there......i have only read a couple of the posts so bear with me on this....harry potter is not a satanist for one......this book is not teaching kids about the cult/ occult let alone to join one......i also do not think that anyone should be using this book to teach kids about god or any other type of religion for that matter.....this book came out as a book to keep kids interested in reading rather than watch tv and to actually use their minds and explore the creative side of their minds....... whats next.......Seasame Street was teaching kids about sex and Barney was teaching kids about mass suicide?  Get real people........Stop looking so hard for things that are not there,,,,as for the magic and everything else, bad teachings or not tru teachings, for gods sake its a fiction book.......the kids love as do it.....teaches nothing but doing the right thing and not giving into peer pressure and things of that nature....sticking up for yourself and all the things kids should learn  nothing more......

Thats just like letting them watch a movie and something they do not be true to life...people its fiction...

Get over it.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Harry Potter books are delightful, but of course they are fiction, no more, no less. The Bible is the authors' perception of God. Perceptions change, so do our ideas of God. I think our spirituality has to evolve not stay static in a 2000 year old time warp.

www.y-mynach.co.uk

#27 little_light

little_light

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Working Out<br />Music and Dance<br />And Being a wife and Mom!

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:59 AM

If someone wants to use Harry Potter books/stories in their lessons or teachings...Well go ahead...Everyone has a right to choose what they may believe is a tool for understanding...Some people dont believe in the bible is a good tool or the true word as some belive...

But I do think that we should make sure we show/teach our children in a way that leads them on choosing what facts/fiction that they may end up using for themselves as a good tool for understanding..

I myself wouldnt use anyone real or not real for my children to follow...I want them to use what wisdom is within themselves and looking at events and stories as just a tool of common sense....
"You only get 1 shot!"

#28 Tangnefedd

Tangnefedd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:34 PM

If someone wants to use Harry Potter books/stories in their lessons or teachings...Well go ahead...Everyone has a right to choose what they may believe is a tool for understanding...Some people dont believe in the bible is a good tool or the true word as some belive...

But I do think that we should make sure we show/teach our children in a way that leads them on choosing what facts/fiction that they may end up using for themselves as a good tool for understanding..

I myself wouldnt use anyone real or not real for my children to follow...I want them to use what wisdom is within themselves and looking at events and stories as just a tool of common sense....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you
www.y-mynach.co.uk

#29 cooolchick647

cooolchick647

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

thats so true though i got to agree with you on that one
The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross, and which to burn. And don't worry because the world will still be broken tomorrow.Posted Image</a>Posted Image Posted Image

#30 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:46 PM

Well, me saying anything kinda seems long down this thread but I wanted to add my 2 cents....

I think that it is AWESOME that a church is using HP as a basis to teach children about virtues and other religious related things.....no matter the religion. I think that is a smart concept to help teach something morally vital and having examples of things that they, if they are fans of HP as many are, understand a lot better then some things. It teaches children quicker if they have examples all ready in place in their mind...

And I agree as many, that HP is not satanic or demonic or any of that ignorant drabble.... it is a book, nothing more than a world thought up by J. K Rowling....
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users