3 replies to this topic

#1 niteangel2

niteangel2

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hi all -

Have a question. Is it possible to transfer recordings from a cassette recorder to a pc? I have been reading about EVPs the last few weeks and went out and just got a $40 recorder from a local store - nothing fancy. Left it running in a room by itself in my house a few times and got nothing ('cause I was afraid to be in there with it) lol. Even though I've seen things my whole life and experienced some strange things (I think they call that a 'sensative'), I'm afraid of my own shadow. I don't seem to be able to get over The Exorcist, The Amityville Horror, and White Nosie.

However.... I summoned all my courage and went out to a local cemetery in Azle, TX called Veal Station Cemetery - If you are from around here, maybe you know it. It was about 10:00am - no way I was going out there at night.

Well, I got a few things.. woohoo! And for anyone else that might be afraid to try it - I didn't get one single negative thing! Well, from the ones I can hear anyway. :clap:

I got one RIGHT after I turned on the recorder - it's obviously a woman, but I can't understand what she's saying. I got another one that is really clear that says "This is Verana". I got another while walking around talking to the air and a woman with an accent just says "beautiful". This one is crystal clear. There was nobody else at the cemetery and it's so small nobody could have been there and me not see them.

So... I'm pretty pumped, but wondering if I need to get a different recorder. Also, what do I need to actually connect the recorder to my pc?

Thanks so much!
Niteangel2
Posted Image

#2 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

Nope, your recorder is just fine. Full size cassette tapes work the very best and make sure that you only record on side "A". Never flip a tape over as it ruins your evidence since you take a chance on "bleed through" from one side to the other giving you a false positive.

What you will need to do is go to Radio Shack or equivalent store and buy a cord that fits your headphone jack. It must be male on both ends. The other end will plug into your line-in jack (usually blue) on the computer. Then with an audio program you can download the captures and clean them up a bit if necessary.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Spinal Tap's Roadie

Spinal Tap's Roadie

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:42 PM

Hi there :clap:
I have a digital NETmd Sony Minidisc which records in SP, LP2 and LP4/mono mode and I also purchased a $230 dollar Sony stereo microphone which is self powered as well, with optional foam condenser for windy situations.

I primarily purchased this a couple of years ago to bootleg my favorite rock concerts (shhhhh! lol) and it produces wonderful, clear results, maybe even too good, as it picks up everything! For instance, you hear a lot of top end at a gig and your buddy's yelling something in your ear which you can barely discern, upon playing it back you can hear the yelling and the band playing very clear, no distortion (depending on mic levels). I can play with many variables such as mic sensitivity, 90 or 120 microphone recording range, record level adjuster, and so forth.

Is this ok to use for recording EVP's? Or do I have to revert to analogue tape?
I have like a 40 dollar Radio Shak handheld tape recorder with inbuilt stereo mics but I find in quiet situations it picks up the noise of the tape machine as well, which I don't particularily like.

#4 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:14 AM

you can buy a cable at radio shck for about 4 bucks that will allow cassette transfer to pc pretty easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users