Selleck, WA-Old School

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#16 sothernexposureak

sothernexposureak

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:50 PM

If you react to these people, they're going to react to you! Please don't act like vigilantes.... be safe and smart.

#17 Countess

Countess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

WOW, I must say not much has changed from when I was a youngster out there in Selleck. They were very protective then too. But I would love to say in all kindness or ask I should say has anyone who lives in the school thought about taking pictures and writing a history for a small press publication? I know they have done this for the infamous Black Diamond close by. And the stories have travled around for years, urban legend maybe? But when I was young in the 60's it was known as some place you didn't want to make anyone mad or you might wind of hexed, cursed or even worse. OK some will say that is not so, but some of us can say it is. Selleck has always been a place of mystery and susupected occult activities as well place for body dumps. But in recent years some of the more wealthy have built homes out there and they have cleaned it up allot and ran a few undesirables out, OK yes of them were my bikers relatives that lived with my aunt out there. I mean no disrespect for the towns founders or the inhabitants, but I have memories of what I grew up with back then. So instead of anger how can we help? We will ask that people following urban legends/ghost stories be respectful and polite, ask before entering the grounds or taking pictures. Fair enough. I hope some how you can get monies needed to restore this lovely landmark.

Edited by Countess, 16 April 2006 - 05:22 PM.

I find the whole history of Borley Rectory most fasinating to reasearch.I wish I could have visited it when it was still in existance.

#18 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:20 AM

I admit to being a Puget Sound Snob. In my opinion, everyplace between Downtown Seattle and Olympia is in some sort of Twin Peaks Warp O Weirdness. If this area were not allowed to post news, the 5 0'clock news would last until 5:05.

I once had an employee with a very strange accent. I tried to find out his origins so that I could alert my crew and not offend him. He said, "I'm from Buckley", (by way of Poland I discover). He stars as Abraham Lincoln in some town play or other, but I wouldn't hit the backstreets around there without a shotgun.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#19 sothernexposureak

sothernexposureak

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

I admit to being a Puget Sound Snob. In my opinion, everyplace between Downtown Seattle and Olympia is in some sort of Twin Peaks Warp O Weirdness. If this area were not allowed to post news, the 5 0'clock news would last until 5:05.

I once had an employee with a very strange accent. I tried to find out his origins so that I could alert my crew and not offend him. He said, "I'm from Buckley", (by way of Poland I discover). He stars as Abraham Lincoln in some town play or other, but I wouldn't hit the backstreets around there without a shotgun.

I don't blame ya! :hug:

#20 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:28 AM

I lived in Renton, WA, for a few years and noticed no paranormal activity. In the bigger towns and cities you won't find many human anomalies (they can hide more easily). I suppose it's the small pockets where secrets are cultivated where you find oddities.

By the way, the grounds of an old race track (Longacres?) are still lying fallow and unchanged in Tukwila. You can see where the stands were, make out the old track, and the old bus stop sign is still standing. I've only been there in the daytime, but I wonder if at night one can hear the roar of the crowds and the neighs of the horses?

Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#21 WSPIRer

WSPIRer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

I am intrigued by this little town...I will have to check it out...soon!

#22 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

Do yourself a favor and go to Port Gamble instead. This town looks like it popped out of some sort of time warp. Pure mid to late 19th century, and some of the buildings are supposeed to be haunted. Beautiful location, and there's no Deliverance flavor in the air.

If you just HAVE to die in Wash. State, go hiking around Darrington, and let the Tarheels bump you off; all without entering the S. Sound Triangle O Doom.

Edited by Markway, 28 April 2006 - 12:20 PM.

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#23 WSPIRer

WSPIRer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:37 PM

I plan on driving through Selleck today...a nice respectful drive through what appears to be a very well-loved historic town. I can appreciate the protectiveness that is felt by the residents...especially in light of the vandalsim that occurs. I am always intrigued by towns and places that are not well-known..."off the map", so to speak.
Thank you to everyone who posted their experiences about living in the town...and its history. I enjoyed learning about Selleck.
Any other little towns out there that I should venture out to? I checked out Port Gamble last October...loved it!
Last question...anyone have any personal accounts of the plane crash (DC-3) that occurred in/around Selleck in the 50's or 60's? I came across this report while "Googling" Selleck.
Thanks!

#24 scorpyo

scorpyo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen reading this, both with-in and with-out Selleck Washington.

It seems I have opened a can of worms and I apologize heartily. I posted my story with hopes of satisfying my curiousity in this matter. It is what I felt that guided me and not what I saw.

To the residents and former residents of Selleck: I apologize that my attentions have been any burden to you. I hope that you can see from my story that I personally had no intention of upsetting any balances in the town. I explained that I came upon the community by way of "Pick a road, follow it to the end"-an accident.

I don't know if it is the fun-house effect [whereby the presence of a building does not directly fit into its surroundings thereby causes one's brain to disorient and pause] or if it was trully anything at all. I simply felt something and it is this curious pause that I check on as part of my intuition. I feel no maliciousness toward the townfolk and I understand that people wandering into a small community at all hours- especially armed with unnamed intentions (and occasionally cameras and other implements of destruction) would cause apprehension. Pooh-poohing the residents of Selleck for their reaction demonstrates ignorance of their plight and a disregard for what is undoubtedly a close-knit community.

I know you can't believe everything that you read on the internet, nor any other medium for that matter. It is all tainted with opinion- as-is human nature. As those of you not residing in the community have read, the people in Selleck are learning the history of their community by way of hearsay and fact-finding. They do not find value in outsiders creating stories or overlaying urban legends on their community. Selleck has my heartfelt apologies if this attention has damaged your community in any way.

It is by way of asking that I sought to discover the nature of the community to determine if there is any foundation to what I felt. I was asking for validation. Here's what I found:

The Community of Selleck does not perceive anything outstanding about the school property. It upsets them that others do not come to their community asking legitimate questions but instead arrive with assumptions. It is curiousity, but not the variety they appreciate. No one in the community that has posted here can attest to any activity in the school other than the worldly human variety.

Others have gone to this community based on word of mouth, propagated legend, internet attention, or merely- as I did, by accident. This "fun-house" effect seems to have taken them as well. It propogates the legend as their feelings are told and retold and - yes- distorted from one person to the next.

Conclusions:

A bit more of my story not related at the begining: I mentioned to my wife that I felt like something bad had happened in the town; originally, I thought it a mining town and thusly my feeling was that a mining accident occurred and the injured had been brought to the school; I thought that maybe it was this tragedy that caused the feelings that I experienced.

I am not a religious person. I am not overly superstitious. I am a doubter of all things. I do not know if the spirit world exists. My personal experience with the other-worldly is confined to the death of a loved one- my grandmother- who died last year. I caught a vision, imagined or real, of ascending over the city that I grew up in- and she passed in- and a feeling of overwhelming freedom. She suffered from dementia to her passing and I was much relieved to feel what I did. My family doesn't believe me but to this day and I care not. I knew it, and my family confirmed what I knew in a call later that day to confirm that she had passed at the precise time I felt what I did.

The people of Selleck tell of tragedy, not loss of life. I know from my travels around the Sound that every place has a different feel. Sometimes this is established by surrounding, sometimes by history, sometimes socio-economic factors.

I ask that you all evaluate the following and acknowledge it if you find it to be true. Try this for yourself: pour a dish of vinegar and set it in your kitchen. Come back in 5 minutes time. You should smell the tang of the vinegar in the air. Busy yourself, and notice that the smell fades into the background to the point at which you no longer smell it. This is desensitization.

Remember that I visited this town in exploration of the countryside, not with intention of discovering a misbegotten community overwhelmed by spirits. I perceived what I did, no matter the reason. Whereas the concept of desensitization is a known human experience, if there is something there to feel, I propose that the community of Selleck is no longer sensitive to it.

It sounds, by accounts of the locals, that many people have visited the community by accident or relay of legend and can corroborate my experience. If it is the fun house effect, so be it. I will admit this possibility, if you will admit there are things that you undoubtedly don't know about the community. I'm not suggesting anything nefarious that is or has taken place; I am merely suggesting that others feel as I do and we can't explain it any more than anyone I have seen post here is able to recount the history of the town.

There is always possiblity. To anyone who doesn't live there but is drawn to it: if you go there, be open and friendly. Understand that there are people who do not understand what you sense and who do not want to. Seek those who are open and friendly and listen to their stories- share in their sense of community. Go during the day and respect the fact that they own property- you do not have license to walk freely in all places. If you can't abide these tenants of community, you do not have the right to explore.

#25 scorpyo

scorpyo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

Last question...anyone have any personal accounts of the plane crash (DC-3) that occurred in/around Selleck in the 50's or 60's? I came across this report while "Googling" Selleck.
Thanks!

I found this info, probably same as you. I ran it through Babelfish.

Description of the Accident:

Statutes :
Date : 14 APR 1953
Hour : 02:22 PST
Type/Sous-type : Douglas C-47A-90-DL
Company : Miami Airlines
Msn/C/n: 20432
Year of Manufacture : 1944
Crew : 2 victims out of 3 members of crew on board
Passengers : 5 victims out of 22 passengers on board
Total: 7 victims out of 25 people on board
Condition of the apparatus : Total Loss
Place of the accident : 11 km (6.9 mls) E of Selleck, WA (the United States of America)
Phase of flight : Unknown (Inc)
Nature : National Charter
Starting airport: International Spokane Airport, WA (GEG)
Airport of destination: International Seattle/Tacoma Airport, WA (SEA)

Details :

Crashed following has double engine failure. Some sources carryforward that this airplane was rebuilt have N3 and sold to Canada have CF-DME in 1956.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The progressive failure of both engines, due to the lack of compliance with proper maintenance standards."

Additional information :

Maintenance - Substandard practices (general)

#26 facelit

facelit

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

Hi! I just barely heard about the town Selleck, and since you live there, I'm glad you were able to give some history of the town. A few weeks ago, my friend got off work late, but wanted to get some pictures of the historical school building after hearing about its history. He's always been real interested in local historical buildings like in Issaquah, Seattle, etc. He went out there with a friend and when he got out to take a picture of it, a man came running out yelling at him to leave, flood lights came on everywhere and he couldn't see. The man ran to him and grabbed him, and put a weapon up to him (I don't know if it was a gun or knife). Once he got away from this man, he got in his car and sped away. I'm just curious.. You say that you have never approached anyone with weapons or aggression, but here is a story of that. And that is pretty strange that some residents stay up at all hours walking around a school building, and with flood lights? Doesn't all this egg on teenagers to come back?

:ghost: Thanks,
facelit

#27 maplevalley

maplevalley

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:40 AM

so I was in Selleck recently and I got online to look up history of the town just because it was creepy and fun to go! We didnt speed through the town we just drove through just to see the eerie school. Now I wonder why we were followed out of the town by a station wagon with his/her lights turned off? If you people like to answer questions about your town and want good people to come there why do people of the town chase them away. It makes for a good story and influences our friends to go out there to see what may happen to them. We were not visiting the town late at all, it was maybe 9 in the evening. I have always heard scary stories about the town and the people that live in it. For example: There is a noose hanging off the water tower. Why is there a noose of all things hanging in our cute little town? After reading all of this it just doesnt make any sense to me... I am just saying that when kids and teens are playing in the woods and there are approached by people of the town of selleck and told to get the BAD_WORD out of there. People are making this town to seem like its a nice place to go and visit but in reality I know people that have been chased out or had weapons drawn on them. I am just a citizen of a neighboring town that doesnt believe any of the grand things said about selleck.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 22 October 2006 - 08:49 AM.

#28 Spooky Boy!

Spooky Boy!

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

I went into Selleck one night with some friends. We were harmlessly looking at the school when a crazy man with a baseball bat came running and preparing to swing at our car....all he screamed was GET THE BAD_WORD OUT OF HERE NOW, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING....if you ask me, that's pretty suspicious. There has to be something going on in this town, and as I read about all these people being chased out of town, I have just one question? What is selleck hiding? By the way the school itself was scary as hell

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 26 October 2006 - 04:47 AM.

#29 Selleckmaiden

Selleckmaiden

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:52 AM

[font=Fixedsys][size=3][color=#993399]

My husband and 2 year old daughter moved to Selleck in July of 2006. We love it here. It is quite (exept for the crazy drunks who go through here sometimes) and beautiful. The reason people are always defending the town is because that is THEIR JOB. The "managers" of the town part of their job description is to keep the renters happy, take care of housing problems, for example flooded pipes, ect. THe other part of their job is to keep the school house safe from crazy people. The owners have a 6 year old daughter and she gets scared when people are driving through here at 3 in the morning throwing beer bottles, and peeling out. Wouldnt you want to protect your daughter from that crap????????? We dont care if you drive through and ask question... we get alot of "How do I get to Seattle" with is stupid.... We dont mind that. It is the drunk, yelling, squealing IDIOTS that tick us off. My own daughter has been woken up multiple times by sead idiots. So please be respectful. If you get run off.... your own fault. We have people here who watch the town ALL THE TIME to protect us. There is nothing weird here. We are all friends, and help each other. My daughter has a best friend right next door. We are safe enough (during the day) for them to play in the yard without bother from crazy vehicles. We love it here, stop destroying our nights. Thank you.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 07 January 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#30 FBTdra9

FBTdra9

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

I was so jazzed to see this topic and find that the thread has lasted this long. I lived in Kangley, the next little town North of Selleck (though you would not know you had changed towns) from the ages of 5 to 10. I went to the old Selleck school through the 5th grade and have nothing but love for the building and my time there. I have been a history buff since I was very little and spent time in the old mill area and the old graveyard. Our house was next to the road leading up to Lavender town which was embarrassingly, and ignorantly, called Jap Town when I was a kid. One of the many interesting facts about Selleck is that it had a very active Japanese community until the internment during the war. I moved there in 1960 or 61 so that was all over. There is history to be found about it and a friend of mine who still lives in Selleck was present when some of the decendents of Japanese residents of the area came to move thier dead from the old cemetary.
Selleck is and always has been a majic place. I go back periodically just to step back to my childhood and back in time. It is like a wonderful time capsule that never seems to change. I still have dreams of the old school house and have always wished I could have bought it. I am glad someone is caring for it. The old mill owner's house is quite wonderful and I hope it is being loved and cared for too.
When I was a child there were still people in the Stampede Pass town of Lester. In the winter they could not get out except by train or snow mobile and they came out of the watershed (they all had keys to the gate the kept people out of the watershed) to buy groceries at Truman's store. Sadly, Truman's burned down a few years ago. I used to drag my Husband out there and buy penny candy now and then for a memory trip.
By the way, Selleck in its day was bigger than Seattle and boasts the first hotel with a foundation West of the Mississippi or so I was told by my Dad when he showed it to me in a friend's field.
During the 70s there was a decline in the town and since Selleck proper is mostly rentals, that can happen. I have talked with many people who did not feel safe going there during those years and stories seem to stick but it sounds like it has cleaned up and I personally have never felt bad about the town or the people.
When I was 6 or 7 there was a cougar who came out of the old mill area where we used to play. When he came out, we went in, then when he left, we went back out.
Thanks for bringing up a wonderful memory. There are still many people I knew in my childhood who live in the area and as a kid I was in several of the houses. No ghosts but wonderful history.
It was great fun being in the school during the great earthquake in 64 or 65 (always get the year mixed up with Alaska's big quake). It really rocked and rolled but held up fine and weird though it sounds, I have loved earthquakes ever since. Sigh.... miss the sweet place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users