Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Wiccan Symbol On Headstone

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

Says Hollywood wrongly associates pentacle with demonic cults, rituals

Aided by the American Civil Liberties Union, a Navy veteran who identifies himself as Wiccan is pressing the federal government to allow pentacles, the symbol of his faith, to be engraved free on military headstones.

Scott Stearns, of Kent, Wash., argues Hindus, Sufis and Buddhists, along with people of other faiths have the privilege, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported.

"I would hope when I pass away that both my status as a vet and my religious belief would be on my marker," said Stearns, who works at the Seattle office of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The VA has been paying for the headstone inscriptions since 1997.

Wicca, a pagan form of worship that celebrates nature and the elements, was recognized officially by the Defense Department as a religion in 1996.

As WorldNetDaily reported, members of the U.S. Air Force stationed at a Texas base attend weekly meetings for Wiccans at a base facility, drawing between 25 and 50 people.

The National Cemetery Administration of the Veterans Affairs Department, however, has not approved Wicca's star-and-circle pentacle.

Wiccan veterans who have made the request complain they have been stonewalled.

"It seems like there's a bias," said Stearns. "'Discrimination' might be too strong a word, but it definitely seems like there might be a bias."

Story
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#2 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:59 PM

Fair is fair. If they put a cross, the Star of David, or the angel Moroni (this one was won just a few years back) on headstones for free, then they should open it up for a pentacle.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#3 bathory313

bathory313

So SCARED she peed down her own leg!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Interests:movies, music, mysteries of the world, poetry, art, ghosts, evp, ghost photos, psychics and mediumship, esp, telepathy, psychic photography, guardian spirits, doing something good for others

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:05 AM

Of course they're being stonewalled. Sometimes only things that are deemed "safe" and "unobjectionable" are allowed. And you don't have to look very far to find that attitude. Rather than exploring things in a healthy manner, many people bury their heads in the sand like the proverbial ostrich.

When the sand turns to glass we will all suffocate.
Posted Image

#4 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:50 PM

I think it is awesome that this guy is working for something that many in the future WILL benefit from....the guy I am dating would appreate this when he is old enough to think about headstones....I pray the guy will get what he working for sooner than later
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#5 wishfulthinkin07

wishfulthinkin07

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:anything supernatural, Wicca, music, guitars, books, etc.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:57 PM

I hope he gets his wish. I mean, why doesn't anyone think of it this way? What if Christianity had never spread thoughout the world, and Paganism was the main religion. As with Christianity, it branches off into Catholicism, therefore, Paganism would probably branch off into Wicca. Then, one of these Catholic people came along and asked for their religious symbol to be displayed on the tombstone, and they were denied their request. It's basically just placing yourself in someone else's shoes. Gah, I sound so cliche, but it's pretty true. And so lives the Golden Rule!
Merry Part and Blessed Be!

#6 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:20 AM

:ghost: :vampire: :ghost: :P

LET FREEDOM RING!!!!!!!!

I've done some study on religion in the past and the best I figure is that Chiristian works came from parts of Paganism and Druidism along with others.. The "Bible" as we know it was put together in the Roman Grego time. Therfore, society is mostly to blame for the misbeliefs of religion and I pray he gets what he deserves: His RELIGIOUS RIGHTS!!!!!!

:wow: :wow: :wow:
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

I've thought of something. Isn't it true that some Satanists (indeed other non-Christian religions as well) use the pentacle in their spells? And aren't cemeteries supposedly more spiritually active than most pther places? I wonder how many people would misuse a tombstone with a pentacle on it...

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#8 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

I've thought of something. Isn't it true that some Satanists (indeed other non-Christian religions as well) use the pentacle in their spells? And aren't cemeteries supposedly more spiritually active than most pther places? I wonder how many people would misuse a tombstone with a pentacle on it...

Good Thought aloha_spirit..That may pose a conflict in the religious asspect. Iwonder if they will think of it and use it in some way to keep the Pentacle form being placed on the stones.?
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#9 rogerfl

rogerfl

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:demons

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

Fair is fair. If they put a cross, the Star of David, or the angel Moroni (this one was won just a few years back) on headstones for free, then they should open it up for a pentacle.

as true as this is, it would really piss alot of people off. But i agree with this, i believe they should even open it up for the the pentacle of father satan. religion is religion, agree or disagree, everyone should be acklowledged for their religion during life, and MUST be acknowledged when they have passed.
its in the constitution for gods sake!!!!!
Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -Socrates-The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. -Socrates-

#10 jakob493

jakob493

Very greedy and not happy with just one tag

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

Well, I think its great that the guy is standing up to his religious beliefs. I really hope they let this guy have the pentacle on his headstone. Although, I highly doubt modern society would accept it, for lack of knowledge. Notice how the United States is supposedly a "secular" country. That is bull. Remember when there was all that crap about the ten commandments being put up somwhere in Washington DC? I hate the idea, its idolizing Christianity and Christians to the point where it seems like it is the official religion. I am not a Christian (and note I have nothing against Christians UNLESS they try to convert me or discriminate me for being different) and I think it is disgusting because it just goes to show how one group of people can infiltrate the government and then try to rule by said religion's standards. That is basically what's happening in this situation. I believe that you have the birthright and the rights of this country to choose anything regarding your place of rest.

By the way, I dont understand the meaning or purpose of the symbol, the "pentacle". If anyone could explain its signifigance in religion, it'd be appreciated. :)

#11 rogerfl

rogerfl

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

the pentacle is a pagan or neopagan(such as wicca) symbol. the points each have a meaning,
(starting from the top, going counter clockwise)

Spirit: a representation of how the mind has control over the body, and the power of the mind, to solve earthly problems and dilemmas. representing the soul

Earth: stregnth, security, reminding us of our mortality, and how we must live life knowing we are finite beings

Air:cleansing, purification, intellect, bringing of new life and freshness

Fire: Passion, creativeness, vitality, representing our healing works and actions

water: intuition, cleansing, representing emotions, and intuition with the psyche

and if a surrounding circle is present: this is not a pantacle, it is a pentagram

it is the pagan belief, it is their religion, and the inverted pentacle/pentagram is not pagan DONT GET EM MIXED UP!!! BIG DIFFERENCE. the inverted ones anr pentagrams of Father Satan.

-roger-

Edited by rogerfl, 06 June 2006 - 05:00 PM.

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. -Socrates-The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. -Socrates-

#12 rogerfl

rogerfl

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:37 PM

whoops, sry bout the typo...*are

#13 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking &amp; baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting &amp; open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

Kind of a follow up story:

Crowd joins widow to seek memorial for Wiccan soldier
Roberta Stewart speaks Monday in Fernley. Stewart’s husband, Sgt. Patrick Stewart, who was killed last September in Afghanistan, does not have a veteran’s memorial plaque that acknowledges his Wiccan religion.

In a park in rural Northern Nevada, bells chimed Monday in memory of Sgt. Patrick Stewart, who died last September in Afghanistan but who has been denied a veteran's memorial plaque that recognizes his religion.

The bells, his widow Roberta Stewart said, are part of the Wiccan faith. It's a belief in the divine in nature, but it's a religion not among the 38 -- including atheism -- recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Stewart said that in the nine months since her husband died fighting for freedom, the Veterans Affairs department has continued to deny him the freedom of religion guaranteed under this country's Bill of Rights.

http://news.rgj.com/.../605300350/1002

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#14 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:18 PM

Well, it was mentioned in a thread a long time back that a lot of graves *already* have an inverted pentacle on them, which is usually interpreted as a Satanic sign, but in this case was only meant to indicate membership in a certain organization that was/is basically the female version of the Shriner's Club...So I'd guess whatever damage could be done that way already IS being done...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#15 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:44 AM

Well, it was mentioned in a thread a long time back that a lot of graves *already* have an inverted pentacle on them, which is usually interpreted as a Satanic sign, but in this case was only meant to indicate membership in a certain organization that was/is basically the female version of the Shriner's Club...So I'd guess whatever damage could be done that way already IS being done...

First, as far as I know Aloha_Spirit Satanists do not use spells.....well maybe not actual spells (since spells are usually in the use of nature or gods, which is not involved as far as I know in Satanism) but I may be wrong.

And also Yosei, I had no idea that an actual organization used and Inverted Pentacle as their symbol. Nice to learn something ^_^

And the Inverted Pentacle, as far as I know, has orgins as the Druid/Pagan symbol for the male, or the powers of the male side of magic. So I find that intersting that a female equilivant of Shriners would use it rofl
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users