• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#16 TimeWillTell

TimeWillTell

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

Yeah like I've said before on other topics on here I believe all orbs aren't paranormal. So I'm definetly a non believer on that. How can you say that you know for a fact a small little circle that flies on a screen or shows up on a picture is paranormal? I mean really who first came up with the rumor that nonsense like that is not scientifically explained? I think someone a long time ago just thought of saying dust particles and or bugs are something strange and cannot be explained so therefore lets make up a name for it so we can pretend like were capturing something paranormal everytime we take a pic in a dusty house or in a cemetery infested with bugs.
For those who don't believe there is no explanation, for those who do believe no explanation is necessary.

#17 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

I did not believe in orbs until I accidentally caught one on my camcorder in my kitchen. This was no bug or dust particle. It was the size of the golf ball and wizzed across my dining room, kitchen, family room as a glowing ball going in all directions. It was about 9:30 pm, no lights on and my camcorder was on night vision. It wizzed through so fast as if a gust of wind pushed it, Wrong, no windows were open, it was late fall, no air current in the house. I had my camcorder set up due to some paranormal things happening in my home at the time. When I see many orb videos, most of them I can relate too, as they were like what I filmed. I have never caught an orb on still film but find many orb photos quite fascinating, most do not look like dust or bugs to me. I Believe.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#18 veyaluch

veyaluch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:40 PM

i think that most fo the orb pictures u see out there r in fact just dust reflecting light. i have actually seen two
"Spirit Orbs" in person, both visiting me in my room. and trust me they cant be missed, about golf ball sized and brightly glowing(one orange, one red). when i say glowing i mean i could see the light from them reflecting off of the wall.

#19 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

Energy is a normal entity in our universe. It travels in little orbs. I think a lot of the pictures we get of orbs are actually energy but not of a ghostly nature. I here a lot of desciptions of flash being too close to the lense and causeing reflections. Is not the flash an energy source? Does the lense not magnify the image? I think instead of reflections you're actually taking pictures of energy. And then you are also taking pics of dust, pollen, bugs...
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#20 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

Yeah like I've said before on other topics on here I believe all orbs aren't paranormal. So I'm definetly a non believer on that. How can you say that you know for a fact a small little circle that flies on a screen or shows up on a picture is paranormal? I mean really who first came up with the rumor that nonsense like that is not scientifically explained? I think someone a long time ago just thought of saying dust particles and or bugs are something strange and cannot be explained so therefore lets make up a name for it so we can pretend like were capturing something paranormal everytime we take a pic in a dusty house or in a cemetery infested with bugs.

Hi TimeWillTell ( I like your nickname by the way),
Through a lot of this :Wall: I've been trying to figure out orbs now for the past four years (and counting).
I've gone from being on the fence, to falling off on both sides (skeptical and believer) to being thrown over the fence. I think I may have even crashed through it once ( I have a few orb related posts on here that consist of this :Wall: this :hug: and even this :Spaz: !).
Accounts of people seeing balls of light have been around for a few hundred years now. They have been called "Will 'O The Wisps", "Corpse Lights", "Dead Lights" (I don't know if this is related, but pirates referred to their own eyes as being "dead lights"), "Ghost Lights", and in Australia "Min Min Lights". I think Feus told me that one.
I have heard many accounts of people actually seeing this phenomena with their own, naked eyes. My fiancee saw two once go by on the floor that weren't bright, but shadowy. My brother had one float into his room, which he held. He said he's never felt happier in his life at that moment. This was in my grandparents house about a year after my grandmother died. This is what my brother related to me. He still doesn't believe it. He's probably the biggest skeptic you'll ever meet.
So, what I've been able to piece together, so far, is that these lights or "orbs" started to appear as being related to ghosts when they began appearing in people's pictures and video during ghost investigations. Now , I agree, most of these "orbs" are easily explainable as either being caused by environmental factors or human error. It's the ones that dance around on video (I don't mean floating by the camera, I mean coming out of nowhere and zipping around. Bugs will do this, and look like orbs, but if you look closely, these "orbs" will have tiny bumps on either side. These are wings.), or the ones that don't fit the characteristics of the explainable "orbs" in pictures, that I give attention.
Ghost research is frustrating. It is very easy to fake evidence and people do it. But I think through proper research and a little patience, someday (not in my lifetime) humans will solve the mystery of ghosts. :Spaz:

#21 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

Well said Grim. (applause) Now get off my fence.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#22 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:25 PM

(Plummets to the ground) "I regret nootthhiinnggg" (fades out). :Spaz:

#23 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:52 AM

Ok, now I feel bad, you can come back up on my fence. As long as you quit fading in and out.

#24 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:18 AM

:)

#25 TimeWillTell

TimeWillTell

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:41 AM

I think I believe what evad said that its just natural energy if you actually do witness it. If its on a picture or video its 99% dust or bugs. Thats just my opinion.
For those who don't believe there is no explanation, for those who do believe no explanation is necessary.

#26 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:23 AM

I like your name also Time.
Think of any picture you've seen taken towards the sun, video or stills. The light is refracted through the lense and on video you get little pearl necklaces, on stills you get one or two orbs. These are not dust or bugs.

It would stand to reason there are free energy orbs floating around all the time. So you have to eliminate these as well as the dust, pollen bugs etc. Just trying to make a difficult subject more difficult, no thanks are required. lol

#27 Ruf

Ruf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

I'd never heard of orbs in the terms related here, until coming on here. They do seem remarkably contained within an interested community - with increased access to digital cameras.

I'd have more time for the notion if it didn't seem to have manifested itself at exactly the same time as a proliferation of dodgy photographic technique.

#28 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

However, I think it would be illogical to dismiss orbs completely until we come to a definate logical conclusion as to what the handful of strange ones are. But I agree, most are due to environmental factors. I pay more attention to the ones caught on video anyway.
And we do run orbs through the gauntlet here in regards to discussion. Isn't that why we're here? :angry:

#29 Ruf

Ruf

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

Sorry. I was just being sceptical. Is this not the right forum for it?

Stating that we are all here to sell Jeff's books is not exactly what this particular forum in Ghostvillage was set up for.

While you are certainly welcome to express a skeptical point of view regarding any paranormal phenomena, from pictures, to encounters, to whatever, and you are certainly welcome to engage in a debate in a mature and intelligent manner, and welcome to express doubts and/or share a personal theory or a theory that makes sense to you, making little digs is just not nice at all and is totally uncalled for.

So let's all play nice, shall we?

Back to the discussion at hand. That being, what are we to make of orbs that cannot be attributed to dust, pollen, floating hairs, moisture, etc, etc.

OK.

What orbs? What phenomena?

What body of evidence is there to suggest that this was a common phenomena 10 or 20 years ago?

It seems to me that it's sprung up recently, and in tandem with lots of people with cameras. Rather than being something that only now can be recorded, it appears to be something that is recorded, by cameras.

I'm not a young man and I live in a densely populated country that has been so for a thousand years or so, never, until coming here, had I heard of orbs. Ghost stories we have a plenty, but not orbs. Will 'o' the Wisps perhaps but not commonly sighted and mostly associated with marshes.

#30 TimeWillTell

TimeWillTell

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

Okay this sounds like a good question...When did orbs first come into play for ghost hunters? Now what I mean by that is who first called them orbs and have they always appeared this way? In the very early days of ghost hunting such as all the "famous" pictures of ghosts have they ever showed anything with bright circles in the pictures? Maybe years ago they felt the same way about orbs in pictures and dismissed them just as most skeptics feel they are nothing special. I myself don't think they are but I do agree with Grim we can't dismiss them entirely until we do know for sure what they are. If that day ever comes that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users