150 replies to this topic

#1 sharimoore

sharimoore

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Registered Nurse, Wiccan,

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:47 PM

So do you think orbs are ghostly or are they dust motes.

I am both a believer and a skeptic. (Libra)

I think orbs are just dust motes reflecting the light from the camera flash or video light. I haven't seen any convincing video or photographic evidence of ghosts. The best pics have turned out to be faked.

I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Brie

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:26 AM

Hello ShariMoore, We have already had some discussions on this. Check the links below.

I didn't believe in orbs
Orbs
Orbs?
href='http://www.ghostvillage.com/ghostcommunity/index.php?showtopic=2350&hl=orbs' target='_blank'>Who said orbs are ghosts?
Orbs and Mist or H2O and Dust?

My personal take on this, is that most "orbs" could be dust or other factors, but some of them are surely paranormal in nature.

Edited by MoonChild, 29 October 2005 - 12:28 AM.

Posted Image

#3 phenomenon

phenomenon

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

but some of them are surely paranormal in nature.

Why?

#4 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:03 PM

They could be either one...thats the tough thing about trying to figure out the origin of the orbs.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#5 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

I am a firm belieber in orbs being paranormal but I also feel 80% of orbs are dust or explainible objects.

#6 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

Most "orbs" are bad photographic technique, misinterpretation of mundane environmental phenomena, wishful thinking, or simply cause the flash is placed too close to the lens on the camera. However, some are indeed of paranormal origin as I have had some success using near-infrared photography to capture several "orbs" and spirit manifestations.

sharimoore, since NO photo can ever prove a paranormal event, some doubt will always remain that you are being fooled, the only convincing that can be done is to conduct your own field research and prove, or disprove your beliefs based on what your research reveals. I generally found it hard to swallow anything claimed paranormal till it came out of my own camcorder and my own experience. :Spaz:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#7 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:38 PM

very true, to me an orb in a photo needs reason to even be considered paranormal. If we get a spike on a meter or a researcher gets a feeling and the resulting picture reveals and orb that we can not explain naturally than I will consider it valid proof, otherwise we scrap the pic.

#8 HauntedWebby

HauntedWebby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:55 PM

I think a very high percentage of them are dust. Ghost photography doesn't interest me because it's so easy to manipulate.

Not saying some can't be paranormal, but it's very hard to tell.

Edited by HauntedWebby, 15 November 2005 - 12:56 PM.

~~~HauntedWebby~~~ http://www.hauntedwebby.com http://www.lazarusmaze.com "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

#9 laserone

laserone

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, ghosts, books, PUGS, technology, gadgets, Rocky Horror, Photography, EVP work, Podcasts... for more about me, see my main online profile: http://www.MyOtherStuff.net/profile

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

I am a firm belieber in orbs being paranormal but I also feel 80% of orbs are dust or explainible objects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same w/ me. I'm a believer in the paranormal, but as a photographer, I have to say that most photos I see posted on the web are just (to me) obviously the flash bouncing off dust, snow, animal hair, or someone's hair or camera strap getting in the way.

The only orb that would interest me was one that was producing it's own light, i.e. no flash used, or if you could watch it's trail (on video or on a long exposure) going in between things, like in front of and then behind branches of a tree. That said, I've yet to see any photos like that. *shrug*

:\

#10 zombi69

zombi69

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

Orbs are real indeed..those in which you can see with the naked eye. Video footage is usually the best way to display these real orbs. Still photos are often dust, bugs or moisture. Though, there are some times they are in fact real..Of course, I'm no expert either, but who is?
Southern Ontario Paranormal Society (SOPS)-----------------------------------------------------------------------NOCTURNAL FREQUENCY RADIO

#11 rsmiller

rsmiller

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:53 PM

I agree with zombi69, that orbs can be seen with the naked eye. I have family members who swear that they've seen orbs with the naked eye in my house. I have never seen them myself. I believe that orbs probably can be caught in photos, but rarely. I think most of the time they are dust or camera error, that's just what I think. Most of the pictures I take in my house have at least one orb in them (taken with a digital camera). I do not believe they are ghosts, but rather dust or camera problems.

#12 spookyfox

spookyfox

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

So do you think orbs are ghostly or are they dust motes.

I am both a believer and a skeptic. (Libra)

I think orbs are just dust motes reflecting the light from the camera flash or video light. I haven't seen any convincing video or photographic evidence of ghosts. The best pics have turned out to be faked.

I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Brie

Brie, Hi

Firstly you cannot be both sceptic and believer, the nearest os an open minded sceptic. I am a confirmed sceptic and need heaps of proof before I could believe in Ghosts. I do however belive that some perceived spirits are recordings of some kind, which is why I am a paranormal investigator.

Orbs are a problem, most are explaonable as insects, dust and various debris blown in the draft. The insects glow very brightly usually, legs can often be seen when the orb is enlarged. Dust generally has a mottled or even appearance and can likewise be identified. As a matter of interest I have even been shown pictures of Bats that people hev believed are orbs, in IR or by flash they glow bright white, wings, claws and even ears can be seen under magnification. Static electric and string of pearl orbs are very rare, but these are the least easy to explain away and the jury is out on these. My rule is an orb without some other coroberation eg a contact or other activity is likely to be dust/insects or even snowflaks, yes its been claimed.

#13 Ryan-AE

Ryan-AE

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Computer graphic design, computer animation, website design, composing music, playing drums &amp; keyboards, audio editing, research into various topics, chatting, forums, outdoor and nature activities, hiking, picnics, the beach.

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

I think it is quite possible that "Orbs" fall into the category of neither. They could just be some kind of energy phenomenon that we don't understand yet. Sort of like the phenomenon of "rods". Something that usually isn't seen until its photographed, except in the case of "Orbs", they are often seen with the human eye as well.

I would say that "Ghosts" fall into an energy category too, but we usually relate a level of intelligence and/or awareness to them, and that doesn't seem to be the case as much with "Orbs".

Any Thoughts?
Artistic Evolution Gift ShopYou've Never Seen Gifts Like This Before!!Artistic Evolution Print GalleryProviding A Window To Another World!!

#14 Ryan-AE

Ryan-AE

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Computer graphic design, computer animation, website design, composing music, playing drums &amp; keyboards, audio editing, research into various topics, chatting, forums, outdoor and nature activities, hiking, picnics, the beach.

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

P.S.

I should mention that most of what I see in photo's or video's I believe is in fact dust, light reflections or whatever. However I have seen "Orbs" that produce their own light source and were flying pretty fast, on video, and I have seen some in the house I grew up in and my dog at the time acknowledged them too, including chasing them. These are the ones I refer to.
Artistic Evolution Gift ShopYou've Never Seen Gifts Like This Before!!Artistic Evolution Print GalleryProviding A Window To Another World!!

#15 Bushpilot

Bushpilot

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Girls and Ghosts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

Most "orbs" are bad photographic technique, misinterpretation of mundane environmental phenomena, wishful thinking, or simply cause the flash is placed too close to the lens on the camera. However, some are indeed of paranormal origin as I have had some success using near-infrared photography to capture several "orbs" and spirit manifestations.

sharimoore, since NO photo can ever prove a paranormal event, some doubt will always remain that you are being fooled, the only convincing that can be done is to conduct your own field research and prove, or disprove your beliefs based on what your research reveals. I generally found it hard to swallow anything claimed paranormal till it came out of my own camcorder and my own experience. :Spaz:

Could you please explain to me what you mean by having "had some success using NEAR-INFRARED PHOTOGRAPHY?" In all the years I was a professional photographer, neither I nor my photographer friends have ever heard of that kind of film or procedure.

Bush Pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users