Maude's grave? [Connecticut]

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#16 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

i would love to go also whenever i get a load that way if anyone will meet me and take me pm me in village and we will work it out thanks
Posted ImageWWW.SOUTHERNSPIRITSEEKERSOCIETY.COM

#17 UConnLaw25

UConnLaw25

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I am now DrCivis1980.

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

Ok so here's the scoop. We got lost looking for the rock pile and ended up doing a very loooong hike. It was still fun and since the moon was full everything was very visible but we didn't find the pile and were too tired when we finally got back to the resevoir to go to the other location this morning. However this was not all a big waste. Hell Hollow Rd is most certainly haunted by a reasonably powerful and pretty hostile spirit. There were actually two ghosts but both were camera-shy. The first was on the hill the way up to hell hollow while the road is still called Stone Hill rd. It was an apparition of a 30's something woman with long dark hair. I saw her misty form appear thrice but the hair and the face were more of a mental picture which hit me when she was around. This was at about 4 this morning and she was weaker and more curious than anything. The second spirit only showed itself as a small yellow ball which looked like a flame that floated and then disapeared in the woods to our left on Hell Hollow Rd. The rest was feel and taste. We all felt a strong tingling numbness coming from something staring at us behind and to the right of us. It felt just like it does when someone is staring at you, I thought it would bore a hole in my back. The more we talked about him, the stronger it got and the stronger the alkili tastse on the sides of my tongue got. Each time we turned around it seemed to back away. Eventually it stopped following us and the numbness and tingling went away. And that's about it. Once you have met a ghost and aknowledged it, you know exactly what it feels and in my case, even tastes like. I don't know if it was the soldier or not but it seemed like a hostile male.

#18 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:searching for haunted places as i drive cross country in my 18 wheeler with my lovely wife and meeting people to go ghost hunting with and playing fantasy sports

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

very nice wish you had pics to post

#19 UConnLaw25

UConnLaw25

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

I do have an evp of a woman crying. I need to get the sounds seperated. It was recorded while we were along the wide path near the pond.

#20 snakebiteoftexas

snakebiteoftexas

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

when ready please post

#21 willowisp

willowisp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

I actually did find Maudes grave off of Cedar swamp rd. The stone was smashed but we pieced it back together but I believe the date could say 1659 or it looks like the word "lost". The foundations are too old to be from 1859 I believe. I did not find anything on hell hollow rd. sure there are lots of rock piles but all look to be natural or the result of stone walls.

#22 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

I live right down the road from there. I should check it out sometime. Sounds interesting. If anyone plans on going, be careful. Lots of kids still go there and sometimes transients live in those woods. Not to say that these people dangerous, but just know that you are probably not alone.

#23 CTghosthunter

CTghosthunter

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:aka: tabitha326...lost my password, then I found it again...lol.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

I've been trying to find the location for a short time, not frustrating me too much [yet] lol...

Was wondering if anyone has the exact location...

I saw in other threads where a few of you have visited it [ohhorror and CTghosthunter?]

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live about 15 min away from it.If you can find a map of Hell's Hollow Rd,go to that,find the pond,park on the right side(facing it),and follow the small trail and you'll find a pile of rocks.I was just there last night and my friends came across the ghost of what we believe to be a Civil War soldier.I wouldn't mess around there too much though.After we had left,my friend was bringing me home and a lady appeared near a stop sign,stepped out into the road towards us,then dissappeared.

Did I hear my name mentioned? lol.

Hi, all. Yes, Hell Hollow Road is haunted, but it is not by Maude! And I'll say it again for the millionth time: she is not buried on Hell Hollow Road.

Yea I just got home from there again with another sighting,this time it was a hooded figure we thought to be a tree stump,then it turned it's head.

Funny the hooded figure is mentioned. I've met him. He's one of the Hell Hollow nasties, but I never did figure out exactly WHAT, though. My guess (just an educated one) is noncorporeal entity.

Okay, I just wanted to get this straight, as many people seem to be pointing people in the wrong direction.

I went there this morning, for my first time, and I found exactly where it is, which I'm certain of, because there was actually a grave stone (not a pile of rocks.)

I wouldn't bother with going all the way down Hell Hollow Road, unless you've got a vehicle that can take the beating. I went down it, merely because I wanted to find the "pile of rocks" which apparently marks the area nearby which you might see the soldier. This is a completely different area. I'm not sure if I found those stones, but I did see A pile of stones. Unfotunately, I haven't found good directions to that spot, so I'm not sure if I found the right one.

Anyhow...

The path to Maude's grave is not off of Hell Hollow Road, it is off of Cedar Swamp Road. Cedar Swamp road is straight across Rt 49 from Hell Hollow Road.

Follow down Cedar Swamp Road from Rt 49, and you'll find a cemetary on your right hand side. Further on down Cedar Swamp road, within walking distance from the cemetary, is a path that goes from one side of the road to the other. Off the path on the Left hand side of the road, you'll see a huge junk pile out in the woods (actually, the path splits on the left side). It's just so unfortunate that people these days have no respect for nature.

Anyhow, you're going to take the path on the Right side of the road (not the right part of the fork on the left side.) Follow down the path, you'll see a path that branches off to the right (back up and behind the cemetary) this is not the path you want. More garbage surrounding this area. Yuck. Saw a 2 foot tall stuffed bunny toy there. Wondering if that was originally at the cemetary or not. I didn't bother touching it.

So, continue going straight past that garbage pile. The path will turn to the left- just as a landmark, if you look to the left of the path where it veers to the left, you should see another pile of garbage, but the trees in the area were growing very oddly - they all seem to grow away from the path, and towards some central focal point (on the left side, they grow away and towards the right. On the right side, they grow away, and towards the left. In the center, they appear to grow straight into the forest away from the path)

Continue down the path. You'll just keep going down the path, and eventually you'll see a few house foundations. On the left hand side, before the first foundation, is the grave site of Maude.

I didn't see anything strange. I wasn't freaked out or anything- if anything, I just felt sadness. Sorrow that so many people have desicrated the area.

I didn't want to disturb the gravestone anymore than necessary, so I didn't take any rubbings- You can read her first name, her last name has been quite weathered over time. I believe it's MALLONE, at least, when I invert the colors in the picture I took, that's the closest to what it looks like.

The years are also difficult to read.
The best I can tell it reads:
18?9
TO
1858 (not sure)

Again, I felt no evil presences there, nor did I see anything peculiar, but this is perhaps because I went with respect for the departed, and without any ideas of mallice.

Please, if you go there, do not disturb the grave any. Just consider how you'd feel if it were your mother or sister's grave, and people came up and disturbed it.

Anyhow, I hope this helps other people.

-Steve
-------------
Paranormal Investigator
Smoking Gun Research Agency - Ghost Division
http://www.sgra-media.org

If you want to know how to get to Maude's grave, look above. Steve is 100% right. My group is going there this Sunday (March 11) to do an investigation.

Ok so here's the scoop. We got lost looking for the rock pile and ended up doing a very loooong hike. It was still fun and since the moon was full everything was very visible but we didn't find the pile and were too tired when we finally got back to the resevoir to go to the other location this morning. However this was not all a big waste. Hell Hollow Rd is most certainly haunted by a reasonably powerful and pretty hostile spirit. There were actually two ghosts but both were camera-shy. The first was on the hill the way up to hell hollow while the road is still called Stone Hill rd. It was an apparition of a 30's something woman with long dark hair. I saw her misty form appear thrice but the hair and the face were more of a mental picture which hit me when she was around. This was at about 4 this morning and she was weaker and more curious than anything. The second spirit only showed itself as a small yellow ball which looked like a flame that floated and then disapeared in the woods to our left on Hell Hollow Rd. The rest was feel and taste. We all felt a strong tingling numbness coming from something staring at us behind and to the right of us. It felt just like it does when someone is staring at you, I thought it would bore a hole in my back. The more we talked about him, the stronger it got and the stronger the alkili tastse on the sides of my tongue got. Each time we turned around it seemed to back away. Eventually it stopped following us and the numbness and tingling went away. And that's about it. Once you have met a ghost and aknowledged it, you know exactly what it feels and in my case, even tastes like. I don't know if it was the soldier or not but it seemed like a hostile male.

I believe that the thirtysomething woman with the long dark hair is the native american woman that was murdered by militia soldiers back in the sixteen hundreds. I get the same sensations when I am wandering around Stone Hill Res. The man...I don't know. Perhaps he is the soldier.

I do have an evp of a woman crying. I need to get the sounds seperated. It was recorded while we were along the wide path near the pond.

Going with the above comment I made...the legend goes that a native american family lived in that area and one day some militia soldiers stumbled upon them. The woman ran away at the urging of her husband, but he and their children were caught by the soldiers and killed. The indian woman saw this from the nearby bushes and her greif was so great that she started wailing, and the soldiers naturally found and killed her too.

The Norwich Bulletin has written several articles about the area around Hell Hollow and Stone Hill Res. Seasoned hunters have been out there in those woods in broad daylight and heard something scream, unlike anything they've ever heard before (and these are men who have hunted for bears, bobcats, mountain lions, and have heard all kinds of animal noises). They also admitted to having run like mad when they heard the screams, despite being perfectly "safe", as they were carrying hunting rifles at the time.

Interesting story, isn't it?
Posted ImageVisit the Paranormal Investigation Group of New England website at http://www.pig-ne.com

#24 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

The investigation at Maud's grave went very well. For anyone interested in pics and EVPs, you can check out my website

http://www.pig-ne.com

If you look in the investigations section and click the link entitled 03-11-07 you will find our report.

:)

#25 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Checked out your website and thought your group did a great job. Looking forward to the updates as they come in. :)

#26 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:03 AM

Checked out your website and thought your group did a great job. Looking forward to the updates as they come in. ;)

I am going to be trying to get some more of those EVPs on there today, if possible. I just couldn't believe how many we got in such a short period of time! That's why we're trying to set up a nighttime investigation for ASAP. Things usually work even better at night.

#27 UConnLaw25

UConnLaw25

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

I don't know how to put photos on here but if you come see my myspace page by searching for drcivis1980@yahoo.com, I have a number of pictures I took last night at another location in Southeastern CT. Give her a look in the 04/2007 album, I believe it'll be worth your while.

#28 hellhollow

hellhollow

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hi,
I'm new. Every once in awhile I type in things that are from my childhood. Like Hell Hollow, since I grew there. I have seen many stories about the grave and have this to share.

Maude Reynolds was about 4 or 5 when she died from typhoid fever. Her family buried her close to the family home. Shortly after 2 or 3 brothers died and they are buried across the street up the hill a ways, ( I have never gone looking) . Eventually the farm ceased to run and the state purchased the property. You can find the family well by the pond.

If heading up the hill towards Voluntown, there is two logging roads. The one on the left leads towards the house foundation, lilacs still bloom by this road. Across from this if you walk the road about 100 ft on you left you'll find a small spring with stone pond( my father told us this was what the family used as a refridgerator, to hold the milk cans)

Quakers from New London used to come and care for her grave that was repeatedly destroyed by local teens. They used to make her cement crosses and come up a couple of times a year. After several years of the crosses being smashed and fires being lit I think they may have given up.

My brothers and I noticed that if you went into the forest on Maude's grave side it was deathly quiet, not even birds. But across the street it was normal woods. We always say a prayer for her as we go by.

I have never heard of Maude's grave being on Cedar Swamp Rd. And I lived there for 18 years.

#29 simcityer

simcityer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

i agree with hell hollow i have the same info and lived there through 18 years..and it is not only her who is said to haunt thoose woods it is said a older women who is a witch is also burried in the area who died when my mom was a lil girl..

Edited by simcityer, 07 April 2007 - 05:30 PM.

#30 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi,
I'm new. Every once in awhile I type in things that are from my childhood. Like Hell Hollow, since I grew there. I have seen many stories about the grave and have this to share.

Maude Reynolds was about 4 or 5 when she died from typhoid fever. Her family buried her close to the family home. Shortly after 2 or 3 brothers died and they are buried across the street up the hill a ways, ( I have never gone looking) . Eventually the farm ceased to run and the state purchased the property. You can find the family well by the pond.

If heading up the hill towards Voluntown, there is two logging roads. The one on the left leads towards the house foundation, lilacs still bloom by this road. Across from this if you walk the road about 100 ft on you left you'll find a small spring with stone pond( my father told us this was what the family used as a refridgerator, to hold the milk cans)

Quakers from New London used to come and care for her grave that was repeatedly destroyed by local teens. They used to make her cement crosses and come up a couple of times a year. After several years of the crosses being smashed and fires being lit I think they may have given up.

My brothers and I noticed that if you went into the forest on Maude's grave side it was deathly quiet, not even birds. But across the street it was normal woods. We always say a prayer for her as we go by.

I have never heard of Maude's grave being on Cedar Swamp Rd. And I lived there for 18 years.

Ah...this is the true problem with urban legends of ANY kind! Things get mixed up over time, and soon no-one knows what really happened. My group has been there. The proof is irrefutable. Many people from all parts of NE CT have claimed to have visited the Maud's grave site, but we are the only ones anywhere that have actual PHOTOGRAPHS of the site! Look at the picture below. Not only was Maud NOT buried on Hell Hollow, but she was definately not a child either. It is plain to see on the photograph of her headstone that she was born in 1837 and died in 1859, making her 22 years old at the time of her death.

Posted Image

Anyone wanting to find out the TRUE and ACTUAL SITE and not wanting to keep perpetuating rumors and legends should follow MoGryph's concise, written directions a few posts up from this one. This is the actual site. A real headstone, with a real house foundation, not a pile of rocks in the woods.

Check it out if you don't believe me; you will see that I and MoGryph are right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)