• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 Moonstruck

Moonstruck

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

I am just throwing this out there for arguements sake. Suppose Maude is a popular name back. Could it be possible that there are two seperate people named Maude. A child and that of a young woman. What does the second word say on the headstone? I can't make it out. The child's last name was Reynolds...just to keep it in mind. Any thoughts?

#32 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

I suppose that it's possible. I currently have our research team doing some legwork down at the Voluntown Library about Maud Malone and the area in which she lived, and the jury's still out until they complete the research. Hopefully they will have the research done by the end of the month, and I would be more than happy to share any information my group gets related to this.

The second word on the headstone is Malone, and this is her last name. Underneath are the dates 1837 and 1859. Although the stone has been damaged, I remember this from an investigation my old group did several years ago.

I peronally have never heard any stories about a Maude Reynolds or a child grave anywhere in the viscinity of Hell Hollow or Cedar Swamp Road. Most of my information is taken from The Hauntings of Pachaug State Forest by David Trifilo. Maud Malone is mentioned in here, accused of being a witch, the story goes, but I didn't read anything about a child. Of course, we all just go off of the things that we have heard. The lilac lady and the Breakneck Hill Road soldier stories are also in this booklet. I don't know, but they may have this pamphlet at the Slater Library in Jewett City, considering that Mr. Trifilo is a Jewett City native last I checked. I tried to get in touch with him a couple of years ago to interview him about his pamphlet and how he got the research for these stories, but found that his phone number is unlisted.

#33 Nespara_Christine

Nespara_Christine

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

Hey CTghosthunter nice to 'see' you! :ghost:
I wonder if the Maud you are refering to is Maude Malone Spencer..she is very loosely connected to people born up in Middlesex County but very loosely.
Yes the urban legends do tend to get in the way of historic facts.

CTGH, did you or any of your members see anything while there?
I did read your reports and find them very well done actually but I know its hard for many people to take the word of eyewitness accounts,,not for me..lol,,but in general.

I find the vandalism and destruction of these older "legend" worn Cemetaries disgusting myself. :)
I am trying to find history and anything on another Cemetary in Ct myself and it is hard when it is so sketchy.

Edited by Nespara_Christine, 27 April 2007 - 08:48 AM.

#34 UConnLaw25

UConnLaw25

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I am now DrCivis1980.

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the directions. Found it and had a successful ghost hunt. We got ectoplasm pictures above the grave itself but most of them were closer to the foundation. I don't post pictures on this site though.

#35 NECKPATCH

NECKPATCH

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

WHERE EXACTLY IS MAUDES GRAVE ?????? I KNOW WHERE HELLS HOLLOW IS BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE THE GRAVE IS

#36 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

WHERE EXACTLY IS MAUDES GRAVE ?????? I KNOW WHERE HELLS HOLLOW IS BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE THE GRAVE IS

Neckpatch: If you had bothered to read this thread at all, you would know exactly where Maud's Grave is and how to get there. There are 100% concise, actual directions to the site, and these directions were used by other GV members to go to the site and do an investigation there, with results. Now, instead of just posting, "Where is it??" you should take a second and look back at the rest of these posts!

Also, to UConnLaw25: Would love to see your evidence from your investigation!!! If you would be interested in sharing, you may email me at tabitha@pig-ne.com. Look forward to hearing from you!!! ;)

#37 hellhollow

hellhollow

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:04 AM

Hi,
I'm new. Every once in awhile I type in things that are from my childhood. Like Hell Hollow, since I grew there. I have seen many stories about the grave and have this to share.

Maude Reynolds was about 4 or 5 when she died from typhoid fever. Her family buried her close to the family home. Shortly after 2 or 3 brothers died and they are buried across the street up the hill a ways, ( I have never gone looking) . Eventually the farm ceased to run and the state purchased the property. You can find the family well by the pond.

If heading up the hill towards Voluntown, there is two logging roads. The one on the left leads towards the house foundation, lilacs still bloom by this road. Across from this if you walk the road about 100 ft on you left you'll find a small spring with stone pond( my father told us this was what the family used as a refridgerator, to hold the milk cans)

Quakers from New London used to come and care for her grave that was repeatedly destroyed by local teens. They used to make her cement crosses and come up a couple of times a year. After several years of the crosses being smashed and fires being lit I think they may have given up.

My brothers and I noticed that if you went into the forest on Maude's grave side it was deathly quiet, not even birds. But across the street it was normal woods. We always say a prayer for her as we go by.

I have never heard of Maude's grave being on Cedar Swamp Rd. And I lived there for 18 years.

Ah...this is the true problem with urban legends of ANY kind! Things get mixed up over time, and soon no-one knows what really happened. My group has been there. The proof is irrefutable. Many people from all parts of NE CT have claimed to have visited the Maud's grave site, but we are the only ones anywhere that have actual PHOTOGRAPHS of the site! Look at the picture below. Not only was Maud NOT buried on Hell Hollow, but she was definately not a child either. It is plain to see on the photograph of her headstone that she was born in 1837 and died in 1859, making her 22 years old at the time of her death.

Posted Image

Anyone wanting to find out the TRUE and ACTUAL SITE and not wanting to keep perpetuating rumors and legends should follow MoGryph's concise, written directions a few posts up from this one. This is the actual site. A real headstone, with a real house foundation, not a pile of rocks in the woods.

Check it out if you don't believe me; you will see that I and MoGryph are right.

Well I don't believe that the elderly couple were wrong, nor do I think that you are, but back in the day and is often common today people are named for relatives. Example: My husband's paternal grandfather had a child and called him Joseph who died in childbirth with his first wife. He then remarried and named one of the next 11 children Joseph who then died in one of the wars, we then in turned named our son Joseph ( so maybe the Maude on Hell Hollow is named for the Maude on Cedar Swamp)?????

#38 deoFIVE

deoFIVE

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hey everyone,

I have lived in the town of Griswold for 20 yrs, but then again, I'm only 21 yrs old. haha. Anyway, I first saw this site about 2 yrs ago when i was browsing search engines for haunted places in connecticut. I found, by accident, my friends post here. "EcKo" I have known for a few years and we did go to the pond site together at some point. His take on what happened was obviously exaggerated. At the time of his post there was a mannequin there, but he didnt know any better. That was his "civil war soldier" or "dark hooded figure." I did have prior knowledge of the hoax and chose to bring my friends there on that night to delight in it.

I have always known about Hells Hallow since i was a little kid. Everyone said it was a grave site of a girl who was killed for being a witch, that she was drowned in the lake. Ive also heard the stories of the Indian woman. Or a young girl dying from sickness and so on. I'm not sure anyone has a TRUE story. I dont know of anyone who has a source to quote or pull from such as a history book, or town records or ANYTHING that documents who Maud was or how she died.

However, one night a few years even before i brought my friends to be scared by a mannequin I did go with 2 male friends and 2 female friends at around 11:30pm - 12am.. We parked in the usual spot near the water, On the side where the rock pile is of course... and got out to walk around. After about 10 min the girls were scared, we were cold and we decided to take off. As we turned back towards my car across the street from us in the woods about 40 Ft back and about 20 ft high was a light. It was not a flash light or a camera flash, or a star, or a plane or anything explainable. It wasnt exactly and "Orb" either, though i dont have any orb sitings to compare it to, haha. I just know for about 5 sec there was a light in the trees, the girls screamed and me and one of my male friends saw it too, we all paniced and scambled to get in the car but it was locked, even though i hadnt locked it. This was my one and only experience at Hells Hallow. I have visited the site literally over 100 times since i was a teen.

My older brother and some of his friends had also gone here, and to the "actual grave." When they arrived at the grave (Before march 2007) they found the stone had been smashed, so they put it back together and covered it with leaves so no one else could find and destroy it.

I noticed someone had posted a picture of it, and when i asked my brother about them going there and putting it together and showed him the pic he did identify the grave but said that middle section wasnt missing when they left, they had found a large middle piece that filled that gap and a few slivers that fit in around it. So it makes me wonder if someone stole a piece of her grave? Or did you guys displace it for that picture?

#39 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:45 AM

I just went to Maud's grave last Friday. The grave was actually located within the first foundation on the left following MoGryph's directions. I have the GPS coordinates at home and will post them soon.

All I have to say is that her grave stone is located at this site. I can not believe that she was buried right there because it was obviously nicely placed in the center of the foundation.

DeoFive, did your brother say if he moved the pieces from a previous location? Or were they just smashed within that foundation?

I didn't get any video or audio at her actual grave stone site although the sun had come up by then, but I did get a couple of odd audio bits on the path that MoGryph describes going behind the cemetery.

I Still have about 2 hours of video and audio to go over from Hell Hollow.

DoeFive, which side of the pond did you park on? We parked on the right side but never found a pile of rocks that looked out of place. Most of the rocks we saw looked like natural rock formations.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#40 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

You know, it's funny that everyone seems to be really wanting to check out Maud's grave this week! Pfled, you went there this past Friday, my group did a second investigation on Sunday evening/night, and members of Creepy Connecticut did an investigation on Monday afternoon!

:ghost:

No, of course we absolutely had nothing to do with the stone having missing pieces. One of the first rules of a good investigation is that you do not take their stuff! lol When I was at the grave site back in 2002, the stone was all together but still within the same spot. Here is the pic from the first time I was ever there (the guy's face is blurred out because I am not a member of this group anymore, and in fact the group no longer exists):

Posted Image

When we went to take this picture, he was supposed to put his hands on either side, but instead he pulled up when he did it. The stone came right out! (I was not too happy about that, hence one of many reasons why I'm not with the group anymore!). He replaced it in the ground, but I do have to say that in his defense (kind of) that the stone was barely in there to begin with.

#41 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:29 PM

Tabitha,

In the picture you took in 2002, was the stone located within the first foundation on the left? It just seems weird to me that the body would be buried in the foundation.

How was your investigation? Any chance that you picked up anything on the path behind the cemetery?

Just curious.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#42 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

The stone is in the same place it has always been ever since I have been going there in 2002. I'm not 100% sure that the area immediately on the left up was an actual foundation of some kind...I was thinking that maybe it was just a stone wall or a pen for animals (?). Don't quote me on that, though; I'm no expert in 1800s architecture! lol

Our investigation on Sunday went really well. We did get a few EVPs, but not nearly as many as last time. They were for the most part not as clear...mostly class-Bs and Cs. We have video to go over, but haven't gotten to that yet. None of the photographs we took seemed to be very promising for anomolies at all.

#43 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

Tabitha,

I just checked out you website, very impressive.

I do have a question about your equipment, mainly DVR. I listened to your EVP from your last investigation and I am astounded at the clarity at which your DVR records. What model are you using? Do you use an external mic?

Pfled

#44 Brendan_NEPI

Brendan_NEPI

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:52 AM

All these posts have, I must admit made me curious to have a look myself. Being an ex army fella I was wondering if anyone has GPS Coords for this place. I dont wanna mess around with taking a left at this tree and going up this many steps and all that jazz. Thank you very much

--Brendan
Posted Image

#45 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

All these posts have, I must admit made me curious to have a look myself. Being an ex army fella I was wondering if anyone has GPS Coords for this place. I dont wanna mess around with taking a left at this tree and going up this many steps and all that jazz. Thank you very much

--Brendan

Brendan,

I PM'd you with some details.

-Pfled

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)