Maude's grave? [Connecticut]

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#46 detp3

detp3

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

My friend and I are now the only people we know of that have Pictures and Video of Maude's Grave site, which is Located off of Cedar Swamp Road. I must also say that if you Say her name then odds are the story is true and your car will break down. i said her name while standing over her grave, and on my way home my brake lines on my truck blew out, pretty big coincidence if you ask me. The temp. dropped as we got out there, heard some odd things. just an all around creepy night. Fun though. Check out he Links Below. we Also briefly Visited the Holy Trinity Church in Brooklyn, which is now Posted. But we have a few pics of that too.

http://good-times.we...host=good-times[/img]

#47 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:33 AM

I visited her grave some time ago and said her name multiple times, nothing went wrong with our car, and we even took it down Breakneck Hill Rd, which is pretty treacherous on your shocks and struts.

Cool pictures, although I wouldn't immediately call them evidence of the paranormal.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#48 detp3

detp3

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Pictures AT NIGHT....

#49 kolzig33189

kolzig33189

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

ok me and a group went to the area off of cedar swamp like the guy said but we couldnt find the grave. we took a path that sounded like it was the right one i think it was an entrance to a hiking trail and we followed it until coming to a wall of rocks and then a river shortly after. can someone tell us where we went wrong in going or whether this is the right path or not

#50 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

ok me and a group went to the area off of cedar swamp like the guy said but we couldnt find the grave. we took a path that sounded like it was the right one i think it was an entrance to a hiking trail and we followed it until coming to a wall of rocks and then a river shortly after. can someone tell us where we went wrong in going or whether this is the right path or not

Right past Cedar Swamp Cemetery, on the right, is the path. If I am correct, it has been a while, there was a bar blocking any cars from going down the path. If you continue straight on the main path, the cellar holes should be on your left a good ways in. It is possible you did not go far enough. There was a small brook you needed to cross over, after that all I can remember was a huge dead tree on the right side of the path across from the site.

Unfortunately I lost all my investigation data in a hard drive crash this weekend, so with it went the GPS coordinates.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#51 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

I would like to clear up some of the misconceptions about Maud's Grave. My group was up here at the site in September of 2007 and we have done extensive research into this site. I'm finalizing our conclusions on this investigation on our website http://www.creepyconnecticut.net/.

First and foremost, you must be made to understand that the gravestone pictured in photographs on this forum is not a legitimate headstone (or at least not an original). My group traveled to the site with a professional mason from Hartford and he determined beyond a doubt that the stone pictured above was in fact between 8 and 12 years old.

We examined the name and the dates on the stone. There is a fairly general concensus that the last name on the stone is "Malone" or "Mallone" since the last three letters are "ONE". The name Maud is spelled without the E at the end, which would be at odds with the legend, which is universally spelled Maude in all the accounts. Also, the dates which appear in the photo to be of the 1800s did not appear to be so when we visited and our photos seem to indicate the dates 1647 to 1654 or 1659. This would make the girl between 7 and 12 years old, again in keeping with the legend. If one takes the 1800 dates into assessment, the entire premise of English soldiers having killed the little girl are moot, simply because the English soldiers were not present in this country after the end of the American Revolution in the late 1700s.

All of this really means nothing however when you take into account that this stone is either a fake or a replacement. If it is a fake, then the legend of Hell Hollow Road may still stand. If it is a replacement, however, I have some serious suspicions about it. First, who would replace a previous stone on an historical site? Either the township (if such an interest is there) or a devoted visitor and lover of history. If it was a devoted follower of history, why has this person not come forward to explain that they have indeed replaced an original stone? And, if they did, where are the remnants of the original stone and where was the original resting place (because it's pretty obvious that this current setting was not it, considering, as stated above, that it's in the middle of a shed foundation.) If it was a township, then the question of the amateur way in which it was created comes into play. It's obvious that this was not a professional job. The concrete was modern-poured concrete and it has seams on the back and sides that indicate it was placed in a wooden frame pretty sloppily, smacking of amateur. Secondly, if a township was responsible for this monstrosity, why would they pay good money to comemmorate an historical site with a concrete marker that appears to have its letters and numbers etched upon it by a chimpanzee with a stick.

Our suspicions are that someone created this stone a few years ago and placed it at this site because it happened to have a house foundation (cellar hole) nearby. Recently, the stone was smashed (probably a year or two ago) and this was done for one of two reasons: either it was pure, outright maliciousness and vandals got a kick out of doing it, or it was purposefully smashed by its creators or its recent discoverers in order to concoct an air of mystery about the stone and its authenticity. The middle piece missing smacks of fraud as well (every piece is present except that one?) Also, it seems as if someone smeared the stones with mud and ash to create an air of age, to fool on-lookers into believing that the stone was much older than it actually was (which apparently worked because it fooled many people). I have to say, though, that it took me only three seconds to determine that this stone was a fake and I called in an expert mason to back up my suspicions.

In regards to the rest of the site, the homestead consists of only one cellar hole (the house) and a shed or storage building (where the headstone is located) and a barn and stables (across the path from the cellar hole). Our expert placed this homestead in the late 1700s to the mid 1800s (when he took into consideration that there was an Amish style bridge in the streambed that crossed the trail on the way to this location.) For the rest of the investigation results, go to Creepy Connecticut. There you'll find not only the full investigation with photos, but our full conclusions as well.

#52 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Wow! That is impressive that you found that all out. I didn't even think to call in a mason as it looked pretty convincing to me, then again I know nothing of masonry. I had heard that in CT during the pre-civil war periods many families were buried close by to the home with make-shift headstones to commemorate the deceased. I just assumed it was the case with this stone and therefore the amateur look to it.

Nice Work!

Have you seen or know of a copy of "The Hauntings of Pachaug Forest," by David Trifilo? I have been looking for this for some time to discern the validity of the Hell Hollow claims but I am beginning to feel like this may be a hoax as well.

-Pfled

#53 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

Like many others, we attempted to track down information about David Trifilo and his publication "The Hauntings of Pachaug Forest". From what we could discern, the publication was nothing more than a pamphlet (also referred to as a "chapbook") and we surmise that it must have been a vanity publication simply because there is no record of it showing up on any search. It may be very difficult to locate due to its limited distribution. A good place to start might be the local libraries in Voluntown, Sterling and other surrounding towns where the Pachaug State Forest touches their borders. It appears that Mr. Trifilo is difficult to contact as well, since all attempts by many people, including a reporter for the Norwich Bulletin, have fallen short. David Trifilo may never come forward with his sources for such claims and this is one thing that we cannot really refute until such evidence is proven otherwise. If he has purposefully gone into hiding due to the questions surrounding his research, we may never know the truth. Chances are, if the truth cannot be unearthed by other individuals and groups, that Mr. Trifilo simply created a myth. If he did, shame on him. Otherwise, we should continue searching for the real story.

#54 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Tabitha,

I just checked out you website, very impressive.

I do have a question about your equipment, mainly DVR. I listened to your EVP from your last investigation and I am astounded at the clarity at which your DVR records. What model are you using? Do you use an external mic?

Pfled

Sorry I haven't been on here in a long time, Pfled! We took a holiday break for family reasons and have only just gotten started again. To answer your question, the brand of DVR is the mid-grade DVR from Radio Shack! It comes with uploading software, a cord to upload to your cpu, and the DVR itself for only about $60 or so. Most of our members use the same brand, both because of good results and also because they're pretty inexpensive! I will take a look in my folders later and see if I can find the specific model number for you.

Hi Kolzig! You were really close! Once you go across the little stream, you'll then go up a hill, and then come to the site. You were only a couple hundred yards away! I hope you decide to go again.

Have you seen or know of a copy of "The Hauntings of Pachaug Forest," by David Trifilo? I have been looking for this for some time to discern the validity of the Hell Hollow claims but I am beginning to feel like this may be a hoax as well.

-Pfled

I had a copy of this little pamphlet many years ago. I received it while working at the former Plainfield Greyhound Park from a fellow employee by the name of Cathy Nisbit. I don't have an idea of where she had gotten it from, but she knew I was involved with a paranormal group and gave it to me. I spent several months trying to find Mr. Trifilo as well, and never managed to get ahold of him. Last I heard he lived in Jewett City, but god knows if the Norwich Bulletin couldn't find the man, I most certainly wouldn't be able to!

My personal belief about the pamphlet is that it was interesting reading but not much more than that. Without the author willing to come forward and note his sources, I can only assume it's a work of fiction.

My group has plans in the near future to go back to the site again and take a hike in the woods to see if there's anything else near the foundation site besides the foundation, barn site, and the gravesite itself. If we find anything I'll let you all know.

#55 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

Here are a couple more photos, this time from our second investigation at the site, conducted on 09-09-07. This time, we went at night.

--------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 brass city paranormal

brass city paranormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

Welcome back to the board Barry & tabitha.

Great investigative work once again by Creepy CT. Thanks for the update! Keep it going!

M.

#57 claudiaann

claudiaann

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:home, family, spiritualism.

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

Great investigative work once again by Creepy CT. Thanks for the update! Keep it going!

M.

i haven't seen the pamphlet, but i have seen the bulletin story, my uncles were in it, i have lived here most of my 40 years and i was always told by my uncle mike Medick who lived to be 100 years old - living here most of those years, on Tatro road- the last road before entering the hollow on the Griswold side- that Maude was 2 years old, dying of the black death, tuberculosis, the family's home was on the hill to the right going up the hill after the pond, and her actual grave site is on the right at the bottom of the hill so that her mother could watch over it. as for the paranormal side of the hollow, there were people sacrificing dogs down there for a while till the rangers started patrolling more often, there were also people going their to practice their earth religion as witches. i won't deny there are many strange things that happen up here, the mafia owned a lot of this property before my uncles mother bought it many- many years ago and they left a few souls in the dry wells up here, to really get a fell of it just walk the woods surrounding and keep your eyes and ears open and you will no doubt you will encounter many strange things! i would just do it during the day and with some sort of protection, we do have an eastern cougar, many Fischer cats and a report of a black bear! that and a few nutty neighbors! good luck enjoy your findings and i look forward to reading about them!!
claudiaann

#58 tabitha326

tabitha326

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hey, thanks! :)

As far as Hell Hollow goes, yes there are still (at least as late as last fall) people doing circles in the woods. We stumbled upon a site with a circle in it and took some pictures and broke it up. Whoever was doing it knew nothing of real earth-based magic practices because they left the area with strange markings painted with spray paint on rocks and the circle completely intact, with salt still ringing it and everything. Whatever those particular people were doing out there in the woods, it didn't strike a nice chord with some of the more sensitive people in our group. None of the below photos showed an indication of "peace-loving, earth-based religious practices" to us!

Posted Image
A photo we took of the circle they left.

Posted Image
A photo we took of the writing they were doing on the rocks.

Posted Image
Another photo taken of painting on the rocks.

#59 CreepyCT

CreepyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:21 AM

It is definitely more likely that the little girl died of tuberculosis than the Black Death. In those days, tuberculosis was also referred to as "consumption". The Black Death, by comparison, was the Bubonic Plague which struck terror in Europe in the 1300s and leveled the population. The Black Death never really traveled to the U.S. colonies and, as far as I know, people today who are infected with this archaic flu-like sickness nearly always survive. Consumption, on the other hand, ran rampant in this country in those days, along with Yellow Fever, Smallpox, and typhoid fever.

#60 DeVon

DeVon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:15 AM

Wow some scary stuff there! ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users