• 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:18 AM

awesome pics!! .. thanks for sharing! :ghost:

#62 Everett

Everett

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

You give directions, but what town is hells hollow road in.
I'm interested in going

#63 David R. Brierley

David R. Brierley

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

According to published sources, it appears that Hell Hollow, like Mount Misery to the south, earned its name because most of the land there was poor for farming, not for supernatural or paranormal reasons. Reporter Eileen McNamara researched town records on Maud Reynolds and interviewed descendants of the Reynolds family; the article was published in The Day on October 26, 2003. McNamara found that Maud was less than 2 years old when she died and that she may have been buried near the homestead so her grave could be seen from the house. The descendants said that, after the grave stone had been stolen and replaced several times, a sign may have been posted warning that people who disturbed the site would be cursed; this may be how the legend started.

I have collected information on Hell Hollow and cited sources in a trail guide at:

http://www.mdc.net/~...ell-hollow.html

The references, many of which are available online, are listed in Appendix C:

http://www.mdc.net/~...rails/appc.html

#64 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info David.

I went and downloaded the article from the Day. Very interesting reading, and it will help with my research. I can understand how the curse legend came about from what Mr. Tatro was quoted as saying.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#65 David R. Brierley

David R. Brierley

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

The Reynolds are listed in the census records for Voluntown in 1880 and 1900. Census records for 1890 were destroyed in a fire.

Edited by David R. Brierley, 14 August 2008 - 08:14 PM.

#66 kolzig33189

kolzig33189

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

does anyone know what kind of animals the farm on the junction of cedar swamp and ekonk hill roads have cause my group recently went there and we heard some very strange and disturbing sounds.

#67 David R. Brierley

David R. Brierley

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

does anyone know what kind of animals the farm on the junction of cedar swamp and ekonk hill roads have cause my group recently went there and we heard some very strange and disturbing sounds.

Fishers are animals that are known to make very frightening screams.

#68 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Well, ghost-hunting of course!

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Coyotes and screech owls too. Screech owls can sound identical to a woman screaming bloody murder.

#69 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

So I finally made the drive out there tonight to get a feel of how to get there. I plan on going there soon with a couple of friends to check it out. Anybody interested?

#70 Jeff S

Jeff S

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

I would love to go if I didn't live an hour and a half away.

#71 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:29 AM

Sounds like fun, I wish I was in Connecticut

#72 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

Anybody more local? C'mon guys! I'm coming from the Colchester area btw.

#73 kymo21

kymo21

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

was out there with my team this weekend... still analyzing the data but we were at the headstone location.

one of the articles i found while researching was that maud was 2 when she died and that she was buried at the site where the headstone is currently. However the current headstone is not the orginal. It has been replaced several times and finally the family could not continue to replace the headstone due to all the vandalisms and thefts of the others. it simply got too costly for someones 5 mintues of "fun". as soon as i am able to dig up that post i will re post it here. the author claims to be a decendant of maud.

#74 David R. Brierley

David R. Brierley

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

A poster noted earlier in this thread that the cement marker in Sterling is probably a hoax. Also noted earlier in the thread, a newspaper article in The Day of October 26, 2003, states that she was Maud Reynolds and that she (and her brothers) are buried in unmarked graves Hell Hollow in Voluntown. The article was based on an interview with family relatives. Furthermore, census records place the Reynolds family in Voluntown, not Sterling. Much of the newspaper article is quoted at:

http://www.mdc.net/~...ell-hollow.html

#75 cheeseberger_en_paradiso

cheeseberger_en_paradiso

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

was out there with my team this weekend... still analyzing the data but we were at the headstone location.

one of the articles i found while researching was that maud was 2 when she died and that she was buried at the site where the headstone is currently. However the current headstone is not the orginal. It has been replaced several times and finally the family could not continue to replace the headstone due to all the vandalisms and thefts of the others. it simply got too costly for someones 5 mintues of "fun". as soon as i am able to dig up that post i will re post it here. the author claims to be a decendant of maud.

If the author is a decendant of Maud, it wouldn't make sence if she was 2 when she died. Not too many girls hit their reproductive maturity THAT early XP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users