Maude's grave? [Connecticut]

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

If the author is a decendant of Maud, it wouldn't make sence if she was 2 when she died. Not too many girls hit their reproductive maturity THAT early XP

I think it referred to descendants of the Reynolds family, not direct descendants of Maud herself.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

#77 S.p.o.o.c.s.09

S.p.o.o.c.s.09

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

This place is a bunch of bull. Seriously bull. We went there many times and saw nothing, but rednecks driving their big loud trucks thru the road. The "grave" we have been to is about 10 feet from the road, and it's just a bunch of rocks. Don't be fooled by the myth, this place is busted.

S.P.O.O.C.S.

Edited by S.p.o.o.c.s.09, 13 April 2009 - 11:46 AM.

S.P.O.O.C.S.

#78 S.p.o.o.c.s.09

S.p.o.o.c.s.09

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

My team went to this exact spot...

If this is NOT the spot let me know, otherwise, this place is not "haunted" at all.

S.P.O.O.C.S.
S.P.O.O.C.S.

#79 S.p.o.o.c.s.09

S.p.o.o.c.s.09

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

look put aside wut u hear bout maudes grave cuz chances are its just and old witch story to scare kids. its really more sad than scary. me and group of my buddies went down there rite before dusk when the park supposly closes. but its not on hells hollow its on cedar swamp. you drive down hells hollow at the end you cross the street to cedar swamp drive down to the graveyard and just about 20 25 feet from the cemetery is a parking spot kinda and it has two concert poles with a rail going across it. go down that trail follow it straight for about a mile you will have to cross a stream. and on top of the hill is a bunch of rock walls the grave will be on your left and the foundation will be directly in front of you. and to straighten out the record her name was Maude Mallone not Reynolds.. the fearnet.com movie on youtube is hells hollow road and i think its b.s. but if not then its something else in those woods. but if you go it is pretty erie..
S.P.O.O.C.S.

#80 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Hi SPOOCS09,

I read your posts and as an avid investigator of this particular CT site, I agree with you it does not seem haunted at all. More of a folktale that has been passed on since the 50's. Maude Reynolds and her family did live on Hell Hollow Road, and the place in the video is the approximate spot that she was buried when she died at the age of two.

Just to make you aware, it has been pretty much proven that the site on Cedar Swamp is a hoax. The stone was looked at by a mason (Thanks to CreepyCT) and deemed only about a decade old by it's composite material.

The only place in that area that myself and some other investigators have found any type of unexplained activity is the area behind Cedar Swamp Cemetery. I got an odd audio anomaly and I have spoken with people who during independent investigations of the area also received EVP or odd photographic anomalies.

-Pfled
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#81 S.p.o.o.c.s.09

S.p.o.o.c.s.09

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Hi SPOOCS09,

I read your posts and as an avid investigator of this particular CT site, I agree with you it does not seem haunted at all. More of a folktale that has been passed on since the 50's. Maude Reynolds and her family did live on Hell Hollow Road, and the place in the video is the approximate spot that she was buried when she died at the age of two.

Just to make you aware, it has been pretty much proven that the site on Cedar Swamp is a hoax. The stone was looked at by a mason (Thanks to CreepyCT) and deemed only about a decade old by it's composite material.

The only place in that area that myself and some other investigators have found any type of unexplained activity is the area behind Cedar Swamp Cemetery. I got an odd audio anomaly and I have spoken with people who during independent investigations of the area also received EVP or odd photographic anomalies.

-Pfled

Again, we went last night. Witnessed both "Maude's Grave" and we hiked the entire area of Hell Hollow Rd. Through woods and trails, we felt nothing, and picked up nothing on EVP's. We did, however, get a few orbs, similar the pics from CreepyCT.net, but I am always the first to call an orb dust particles.

The main thing I didn't like is that CreepyCT.net gave Hell Hollow Rd. a 65 of 100 on the Goosebump Factor. I myself give it a 0.

Some people need to remember, woods are usually just that, woods.

If anyone would like to go somewhere away from the woods, maybe Union Cemetary or to go find the myth of the Green Lady, I would love to set something up. As for this thread, it should be closed. There is nothing out there.
S.P.O.O.C.S.

#82 js13jeff

js13jeff

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

Two friends and I went searching for the actual grave on Hell Hallow Road, we got lost... Yet when we came back to our truck, there was a van parked near it with a guy inside in the dark. Scariest thing ever. We silenty made our way back into the truck and left the area. About 10 minutes later it sounded like the truck was falling apart, the wheels even started making weird noises. We didn't even find the grave and we were being cursed by the legend. That or...the man in the van messed with our truck -_-

#83 amylynn

amylynn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:49 PM

im going to try and clear a few things up for all the people who are under false pretenses. this is what i have found on her. and in the late 1800s she lived briefly with her parents, Gilbert and Lucy Reynolds, on the family's farm on Hell Hollow Road.

She died in October of 1890, less than three months shy of her second birthday.

It was one of several tragedies to befall her parents.

The doctor who filed her death certificate in Town Hall stated that Maud died of diphtheria, a leading cause of death in the United States in the 19th century. It swells throat tissues, making it difficult for its victims to breath [sic], eventually leading to heart failure, paralysis and sometimes death. A vaccine has long since eradicated diphtheria in this country.

A Reynolds descendant said the family contested that finding and always believed the baby choked to death on a piece of apple.

Her parents found her dead in her bed on the morning of Oct. 12, 1890, said Pat Brenek, a Reynolds family descendant. They found the apple she had been eating, the marks of her baby teeth still clearly visible in it. Long after, Brenek said, they kept the apple preserved in a bottle of alcohol, so they could see her teeth impressions.

Mary Rose Deveau, a Griswold historian who has researched Maud's death, wonders if both the apple story and the diphtheria diagnosis might be true. It's possible, Deveau said, that Maud had the disease and the swelling in her throat caused her to choke on the apple.

No matter what the case, she was the third child of Lucy and Gilbert Reynolds to die in Hell Hollow, all within a few years of one another.

[Two of Maud's brothers] are buried in the family cemetery, located in the woods across Hell Hollow Road from Maud's grave. When she was growing up in the 1940s and 1950s, said Brenek, her grandmother often took her to visit the cemetery and Maud's grave.

The family plot, however, is now itself buried beneath decaying leaves and forest undergrowth.

Brenek doesn't know why Maud wasn't buried in the family cemetery.

One story locals tell is that Lucy Reynolds, who was a midwife, was so devastated by her baby's death that she refused to bury Maud in the family plot. Instead, she had Maud laid to rest closer to the home, at the top of a small rise near the farmhouse, where she could easily see the cross that marked the baby's grave.

"It makes sense. From a two-story house it would be real easy to see that grave," said Joseph Tatro. Tatro's father and uncles grew up on nearby Tatro Road and knew the Reynolds. Tatro, 55, also grew up on Tatro Road and still hunts and fishes in the Hell Hollow area.

He grew up hearing the stories about Maud's family. He also heard the witch and ghost stories growing up.

"It's a bunch of bull," he said.

Brenek agreed.

"It's silly. She was just a baby, and I don't know how all these stories about her being a witch got started."

That Maud is buried in a solitary grave in such a desolate spot in the woods is probably also partly the reason for the persistent ghost stories about her, said Deveau.

At the time of her death, however, Hell Hollow, like much of the Pachaug area, was comprised of family farms and rolling fields. There were no forestlands, and Maud's tiny grave was at the edge of a field, near the road. It was a stone's throw from her parents' home.

Today, Maud's grave rests under a bower of pine trees. Maples, ash and oaks grow in thick stands on either sides of Hell Hollow Road. There is no grave marker, though a jumble of rocks is nearby. Someone has formed circles with several of the rocks. Graffiti of obscenities and odd markings are spray-painted on trees and rocks. ...

All that's left of the family's home, just down the hill, is a barely discernable stone foundation overgrown by grass and trees. Bright fall leaves float in the water at the bottom of a well shaft near the foundation.

During the 1950s and 1960s locals persisted in stealing Maud's gravestone, a 5-foot-tall cement cross, Tatro said.

A relative from New London would always replace it, but eventually gave up, he recalled. At some point, someone placed a sign on her grave warning would-be vandals that they would be cursed. The warning probably helped to boost the witch legend, Tatro said.

now if you're looking to find the place its very simple. you go down hell hallow til you get to the pond. park your car and get out and walk back up the hill. there is a small clearing about 25 feet or so fromt he pond on the left hand side. there is nothing but a pile of rocks that marks where she is buried. there is no witches they are all urban myths. i have lived in sterling for 23 yrs and kno all about all the ghost stories about sterling and voluntown, i can assure you that i have been down there many times, and im on the fence about it being "haunted" ill admit that i get a little unsettiling feeling when im there but never had anything bad happen to me. if you'd like to know anything else about it feel free to go to the library in sterling or voluntown and search the archives[b]

#84 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Creepy PLaces of New England You Tube Channel - Maude's Grave

Very fun videos to watch...he does like to swear a bit, so be forewarned.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#85 S.C.P.S

S.C.P.S

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:I like doing paranormal investigations.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

Southern Ct Paranormal Society just investigated maude's grave and the area around it during the night and day time and got alot of stuff. Cant wait to go back up there again. Check out our sites Southern ct paranormal society, Southern Ct Paranormal Society facebook, SCPS team youtube page
Corey WatfordSouthern Ct Paranormal Societyhttp://southernctpar...ty.blogspot.com

#86 Abominable Dr. Civis!

Abominable Dr. Civis!

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy kayaking, hiking, geocaching, foreign films, suspense, cheaply-made action or slasher films, folklore, working out, keeping a myriad of friends and acquaintances, green tea, Pixies (the band), spontaneity and adventure! Oh, and ghost-hunting too of course, though I find its more like fishing.

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

Go to the pond on Hell Hollow and you may get an evp of a woman crying, I did.
"The big brain am winning! I am the greetest! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! I must now leave Earth for no raisin! " -Chief Big Brain of Futurama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users