The Devil Baby of Hull House

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

The Devil Baby of Chicago’s Hull House.

In 1889, in Chicago’s Near West Side, Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr founded the Hull House, which became a world famous settlement house for the poor immigrants of the area, a densely populated urban neighborhood peopled by Italian, Irish, German, Greek, Bohemian, and Russian and Polish Jewish immigrants.

The Hull-House residents provided kindergarten and day care facilities for the children of working mothers; an employment bureau; an art gallery; libraries; English and citizenship classes; and theater, music and art classes. As the complex expanded to include thirteen buildings, Hull-House supported more clubs and activities such as a Labor Museum, the Jane Club for single working girls, meeting places for trade union groups, and a wide array of cultural events.

In the early 20th century (some accounts give the year of 1913, others no specific year), a rumour began to spread through the Near West Side that a hideously deformed infant had been left on the doorstep of Hull House. This poor infant, so it was sworn, was the son of the Devil Himself! He had horns, a tail, pointed ears, cloven feet, scaly skin, he could walk, talk and fly about within moments of his birth! People came from all over, to glimpse this horror, swamping Hull House with requests and demands to see the child of the Devil.

There are several stories about just how the Devil Baby came to be, and the tale depended on which ethnic group was telling it. According to the Catholic Italians and Irish, a girl married an Atheist. When she was pregnant, she hung a painting of the Virgin Mary, and her husband tore it down, swearing he’d rather have the Devil for a child than a religious painting in his house. According to the Jewish residents of the area, the Devil Baby was the result of a woman who lied to the Rabbi and claimed her second child as her first born, not mentioning an earlier child born out of wedlock. Her next child was the infamous Devil Baby.

And there are several other stories about the Devil Baby of Hull House.

Jane Addams tried fruitlessly to convince people that there was no Devil Baby. Some folks simply thought that ignorant immigrants misunderstood a common birth deformity as a mark of the Devil. And to this day, no one knows exactly if there ever was a Devil Baby at Hull House.

So what occured here? Mass Hysteria? A misunderstanding of a deformity? A legend started by older women of these immigrant groups to teach the younger women, becoming too Americanized, a lesson in morality?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:55 AM

Would we ever know? But whatever happened to this kid?
Posted Image

#3 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:31 AM

This sounds like it could have started from a chinese whispers sort of effect. With such a large mix of some of the lowest class of people when prejudices were high, people were mixing uncomfortably and jobs were becoming scarce such a large centre for workers is likely to be given some kind of bad name by more than just one group of people.
From what you've said it sounds like a lot of middle class conservative types in particular would have found something wrong with the complex. Not only was it founded by women, but it also gave meeting room to trades unions and working womes groups.
It's easy to imagine someone saying that Hull house is the home of the devil- or that the devil's children live there. Add to that gossip and the tendancy of people to exagerate and villify as much as possible and it's easy to see how a rumour that a devil child was living there.

The whole thing sounds rather fascinating actually- like a really good window into life during that time. Got any links?

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#4 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:49 AM

I always loved this legend. I don't know why but I'm intriuged by the child of the Devil stories. I'm also fond of the Jersey Devil legend.

Here's Hull Houses official web site. of course there is nothing about the Devil Baby
http://www.hullhouse.org/

here's one from the travel channel

http://travel.discov.../hullhouse.html

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 06 November 2005 - 07:50 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

Here's a few more links (thanks Boogie). Melliot, you also have to remember that this is a very famous legend here in North America, and Hull House wasn't as looked down upon as it may seem. Jane Addams was inspired by similar places in London, England.

The legend was not from the middle class or upper class, but from the actual immigrants in the neighbourhood. It started with them, flourish with them. The rest of the city learned it from them. I really don't envision educated middle and upper middle class people coming up with something like this at that time.

From Ghosts of the Prairie
http://www.prairieghosts.com/hull.html

Hull House Museum (nothing about the Devil Baby, but a history of the area the house operated in)
http://wall.aa.uic.e...t/HullHouse.asp

You can also just type in Hull House and/or Hull House Devil Baby in any search engine to get hundreds and hundreds of links. Like I said, not exactly an obscure local legend.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:37 AM

Would we ever know? But whatever happened to this kid?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No one even knows if there actually was a child, devil spawn or deformed. Which is part of the mystery of this legend.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 Tainted

Tainted

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:-Cryptozooalogy<br />-Paranormal investigations and psychology<br />-Anything and everything having to do with videogames.<br />-Grindcore<br />-Deathmetal<br />-Metalcore<br />-Classical japanese folk music<br />-Industrial<br />-Writing in all its forms(haikus,7 page short stories,game and movie scripts,songs,poems,etc)<br />-Singing and growling/screaming.<br />-Chess<br />-Martial arts<br />-Cage fighting<br />-Military tactics/strategies<br />-Reading a massive amount of good books<br />-The science of firearms<br />-Getting tattooed<br />-Powerlifting<br />-Workingout in general<br />-Fishing <br />-Animals and nature in general<br />-Greenpeace<br />-Zooalogy<br />-Fisheries/marine biology<br />-Fire science<br />-Alchemy<br />-The Military<br />-Dental insurance<br />-Etc,Etc.

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:23 AM

This kind of reminds me of the myth that originates from ohio about a race of big headed midgets that terrorize and eat anybody thats unlucky enough to encounter them.I suspect all of these stories are true and that these creatures are actually either failed biological weapons designed and thrown away by the military or they are experiments that have escaped a secret military laboratory somewhere.
Or it could be possible that I play entirely too much Resident Evil.
"Kind of like cracking open a mans skull with a tea spoon"-Frank castle(The Punisher)Next stop on my ghost research journey is Clinton rd New Jersey.dantewarblood@hotmail.com

#8 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:21 AM

There was an entire, very interesting discussion on the Melonheads of Ohio about a year ago. It can be found here

http://www.ghostvill...4&hl=melonheads

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#9 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,366 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

Thats just freaky.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#10 Frogbat

Frogbat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:15 AM

People still report seeing the "creature" looking out of the leftmost attic window. Ectoplasm and ghost monks also have been photographed on the stairs here.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.Study hard. Be evil.Posted Image

#11 Sweny

Sweny

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

i know this is an old thread...

During a Ghost Tour at hull house my fiance snapped a picture. It was viewd by many people there, and a few other photo experts, it may have the image of the Devil baby in one of the panes of glass

E-mail me for the image since i have no idea how to insert it here.

#12 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Make an account on photobucket then upload the picture on to there and copy and paste the img post on here.

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 Electra Rain

Electra Rain

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:I'm a writer of the Horror, Goth, Dark Fantasy genre.<br />You can check out my poetry at:<br /><br />http://www.editred.com/electra73<br /><br />or visit my Writer's Portfolio (My Webpage)

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

I'm also fond of the Jersey Devil legend.

LOL.... The Jersey Devil is what this story reminded me of too. Both, are really great stories, thanks for sharing.

'Creative Dreaming'Author: Electra Rainhttp://www.helium.co...t-motion-follow

#14 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

~I's LOVE to see the picture!!!!! See if you can try to post it here one more time....it'd be worth the effort!!!!

**Happy Halloween!!**
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#15 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:21 PM

So what occured here? Mass Hysteria? A misunderstanding of a deformity? A legend started by older women of these immigrant groups to teach the younger women, becoming too Americanized, a lesson in morality?

I'd say quite possibly a mixture of all three of those things. It doesn't take much for a story to get out of hand. It wouldn't even have to be a major deformity. For instance, I once had a friend whose son was born with pointed tufts of hair on top of his ears, and they jokingly talked about having had a werewolf-baby. Amongst a lot of poor, uneducated folk, not all of them speaking the same language and some possibly half-remembering some sort of old folktales with a moral point (and I'm pretty sure there are stories only a little different going back to the Middle Ages, it's just the specific persistent attachment of it to Hull House that makes me think there may have been some incident in particular)....it's not at all hard to see how that kind of thing could get taken out of context and exaggerated.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users