Fairies

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#46 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

Well Melli, I am sure that they are faeries.... could be wrong...... but I am not sure what a Brownie is. I said that part of the personality because of an individual faerie that I have met made sure that I remembered that she was easily offened by me EXPECTING how she was going to act and that being small and a faerie does not make her less intelligent or better than me. I think she had issues with humans to begin with. Sounds odd, but trust me she was like that^_^ Also the faeries I have met are small, not Thumbellina sized but pretty small. I met one that had a blast by changing his size, like human size to medium to small, but that was when I was a kid.

And Simmy, yea I like the pic. I really do see them in the pic, especially the wings. I cannot tell without enlarging it but I seem to see the patterns on the wings, or is that just the leaves? And also Simmy, I have had things like this happen on a normal basis in my life for what seems like forever, but I would LOVE to have pics or a really good method of proof to prove it. The scientific part of me says that, why the belief part goes :lol: to the scientific part^_^ My only proof is my best friend who has the faerie spirit as his familiar(who for that case is the one with the attitude, we do NOT get along)

Once again, sry for the ramble. I am so afraid that someone will read this and think that I am trying to be a smart alleck and trying to show off >.<
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#47 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:13 PM

A Brownie is a speices of the Wee Folk. :lol:

http://thefae.freese...estfaeries.html

The origin of this race is traced to Scotland. Brownies currently residing in the United States and Canada most likely arrived with Scottish immigrants. Among their names from other human cultures are: Nis from Denmark, Domonvoi from Russia (where they cry like Banshees when death is appraching a member of their chosen family, and to warn of fires), Yumboes from North Africa, Choa Phum Phi from China and Hobs from the English. They are still common to the Scottish Highlands and on the Hebrides Islands, but are rarely heard of elsewhere.

Brownies are domestic faeries, offering aid to mortals who are churning butter or grinding meal. For their service, they expect rewards of milk and bread. (Brownies who are displeased with their gifts often turn into the nasty Boggarts who harass the inhabitants of their domicile.) As with other faeries, should a human mistakenly offer them clothes in return for their labors, brownies will cease their efforts and disappear forever. In addition to their labors in the home, some brownies also guarded the corn yard during winter. Because of their industrious and beneficial nature, the Girl Scouts have adopted the name Brownies for their youngest members.

Resulting from their generous nature, a hatred of misers and cheats is characteristic among the race. Brownies will not tolerate lying and utterly detest pretentiousness.

They are nocturnal, although most are able to appear in the sunlight should they wish. However, there are a few non-Scottish House brownies who will perish if exposed to sunlight. Legends holds that it is for this reason that the brownies' familar, the rooster, crows in the morning, warning his friends that it is time for bed. (Some Scots even held that brownies could take the form of roosters.)

Small and usually male, brownies tend towards the hairy side and have slightly pointed ears, long fingers and dress in blue, green or the most typical brown. Their size makes them extremely cautious of cats and the humans they assist must not harbor the beasts within their homes. Most are keenly intelligent, except the Dobie who is a dull witt. He wishes to help, but always flubs the job because of his lack of intelligence.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#48 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:22 AM

Thats an awesome link, thanks Vampchick :D ...

nohara_megami I dont think anyone here would object to you sharing your stories and knowledge, its interesting to say the least... At least for me.. I dont think theres any reason why anyone should challenge your belief etc.. After all , You were simply answering my questions :)

I have never met anyone who actually sees and communicates with them, so i am drawn to ask you more and more lol.. You often hear stories of young children seeing fairies....but not of adults...not in real life.. not me anyway!

Fairies are somthing that isnt discussed as widely as some of the paranormal topics are I dont think and it fascinates me.. They sound very cheeky lol

When i was young there used to be one tree i'd play under , i lived on 10 acres in the bush, we have a creek running through the property and I used to pick flowers and pretty things and put them infront of this tree and make like little houses etc for the fairies, I called it the fairie tree.... I dont know if there was fairies there, but seeing as though it was near the creek and in the bush, i'd like to think there was. Mind you , i didnt know they really existed and all i knew about them was what i saw on walt disney etc..!!

I have so many questions about them..! Do animals such as birds harm them, why do they play with some people and not others, why dont they want us to know they exist? why why why why why lol

#49 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:darn, so many:<br>reading books by:<br> 1. Marrion Zimmer Badley<br> 2. Terry Brooks<br> 3. Amy Tan<br> 4. Susan Cooper<br> 5. Anne Rice<br> 6. and an infinate amount of others, i read everything and anything<br><br>anime:<br> 1. Escaflowne<br> 2. Fushigi Yugi<br> 3. Miyaziaki movies<br> 4. and once again, anything and everything<br><br>crafts:<br> 1. needlepoint<br> 2. scrapbooking<br> 3. and whatever else i do not blow up in the process^_^<br><br>also:<br>videogames, playing on the comp, researching the paranormal, listening and playing music, and anything else that comes to mind:)

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for the defination Vampchick, they sound familiar(prob something I read) and the hairy thing deffentally makes me believe that what I have seen over the years were faeries since they were usually fair and have very intresting(colorful for some and drab for others) clothing... but the mention of Girl Scouts getting the Brownie name made he laugh like no tomorrow.... being a retired Girl Scout of many years makes me think that "yea right" they would get the name from something supernatural(if you knew the adults I did^_^) but then I had to rememeber that Julliet Lowe, the founder was into paranormal subjects as a child so then that would make sense....

And Simmy, I see the tree as a running theme when it comes to faeries.. when I was a child I lived on 10 acres of the Sierra Nevada and there was a particular tree about 5 min from the house that I would hang out ast every day I could and I have no distinct memories about anything, but I knew that was where I would go to talk to them and play when my siblings were not around or when I could get away... And now in my adult years I have them in the tree outside my house.... And now that I think of it, why didn't I ask questions while I talked to them lol....
Hellsing: In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!Rome did not create an empire by having meetings. They did it by killing those who opposed them.Witches... Not just for burning.

#50 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:21 AM

As far as I can tell from a brief look at the early settlers of Nevada, I'd guess they could be something of the Hada, which is the spanish word for fairy and means fates. The hada seem very like elizabethan fairies, they're pretty and usually hang around in groups. Although the spanish didn't seem much bothered with the area, and it was first properly settled by John Sutter - or at least he was the first european settler to build a fort their and he tried to get german and swiss emigrants to settle there. I don't think the fairies you describe could be from either of these countries as the Nis here is usually thought to be ugly, or never seen and the trolls are quite distinctive and deffinately not fair. Fremont and his group may have brought them over, but I can't tell...
Do you know much about the history of your area? I might be able to link them to some specific folklore... but it's hard.

Where do they live? Underground? in trees? above ground in their own houses/dwellings?
Do they have courts? Are they solitary? Can they change their appearance? How do they interact with you? What kind of things annoy them or bother them? Are they old? What do they do with their time? Are you the only one in your area that knows these fairies? Are they well known? Is there much tradition in the area about the fairies?
Are their other creatures around that aren't necassarily fairies, but aren't quite normal?

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#51 Cyn

Cyn

Has a thing for owls

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • Interests:I love to cook and try new and different recipes. I adore animals of all kinds. Music is another great love of mine. Paranormal and metaphysical subjects of all kinds. Nature, drawing and painting, writing, photography, reading. I am learning how to knit...but I'm not very good at it. The list is endless. The one thing that I don't have a big love for is sports. I wish I could like it, but just can't get into it for some reason.

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

A Brownie is a speices of the Wee Folk. :lol:

http://thefae.freese...estfaeries.html

The origin of this race is traced to Scotland. Brownies currently residing in the United States and Canada most likely arrived with Scottish immigrants. Among their names from other human cultures are: Nis from Denmark, Domonvoi from Russia (where they cry like Banshees when death is appraching a member of their chosen family, and to warn of fires), Yumboes from North Africa, Choa Phum Phi from China and Hobs from the English. They are still common to the Scottish Highlands and on the Hebrides Islands, but are rarely heard of elsewhere.

Brownies are domestic faeries, offering aid to mortals who are churning butter or grinding meal. For their service, they expect rewards of milk and bread. (Brownies who are displeased with their gifts often turn into the nasty Boggarts who harass the inhabitants of their domicile.) As with other faeries, should a human mistakenly offer them clothes in return for their labors, brownies will cease their efforts and disappear forever. In addition to their labors in the home, some brownies also guarded the corn yard during winter. Because of their industrious and beneficial nature, the Girl Scouts have adopted the name Brownies for their youngest members.

Resulting from their generous nature, a hatred of misers and cheats is characteristic among the race. Brownies will not tolerate lying and utterly detest pretentiousness.

They are nocturnal, although most are able to appear in the sunlight should they wish. However, there are a few non-Scottish House brownies who will perish if exposed to sunlight. Legends holds that it is for this reason that the brownies' familar, the rooster, crows in the morning, warning his friends that it is time for bed. (Some Scots even held that brownies could take the form of roosters.)

Small and usually male, brownies tend towards the hairy side and have slightly pointed ears, long fingers and dress in blue, green or the most typical brown. Their size makes them extremely cautious of cats and the humans they assist must not harbor the beasts within their homes. Most are keenly intelligent, except the Dobie who is a dull witt. He wishes to help, but always flubs the job because of his lack of intelligence.

Wow Vamp,

Very interesting info. Thanks. I was a Brownie as a young girl and then graduated to Girl Scoutdom. I never knew why we were called Brownies until now.
:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.Posted Image

#52 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:43 PM

This is a tremendous site, and if I weren't so busy debating the skeptics, I'd be in here with my tuxedo on!

I have been trying to write a book, which was\is supposed to help people make some sense out of the paranormal, rather than being overwhelmed with the sheer quantity of odd material.

One of the conclusions I reached after reading everything which I could find over a period of 30 years, is that we and everyone/thing, exist at a nexus of reality which runs up and down and sideways.

I believe that we are but one of many parallel universes which occaisionally overlap, as well as being somewhere upon a spectrum of states of being which runs up to Heaven and down to Hell.

The side to side movement comes as a result of brief opportunities caused by unusual activity in the earth's energy field. The perception of fairies is more a matter of up and down movement, although they may be material beings with the abilility to manipulate energy fields and thereby our brain's perception of reality.

The two best books I have found are "Earth Folk" by McManus, and " The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries" by Evans-wentz.

I'll be back later! :lol: :D
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#53 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:01 PM

Okay, I'm going to have to ask... any ideas where I can get a copy of Earth Folk that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Any search comes up with second hand/out of print sites that are willing to charge me $50 to post it from america...

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#54 bardo

bardo

Would like to sit on the clouds and watch the world

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:the world here and beyond...lol anything ghosty I don't watch very much tv but when i do it's shows like supernatural.<br />I love music ....going to concerts.....groups like the dropkickmurphys,floggingmollies,pogues, some old stuff like the clash and joe strummer. I just saw Bob Dylan and The Who .<br />I like just about anything but country I do love Johnny cash though!<br />I love walking my dogs and getting outside as much as possible .<br />I plan on living until I'm at least 150 .

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

For example, how many times have you seen a flash of colour out of the corner of your eye and have not been able to explain it away? That's a faerie lowering its vibrational level because it wants you to see it

that's very interesting, we always called them wiffles when I was a kid.
Posted Image Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions. Edgar Cayce

#55 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

To answer your questions Melli, I know a lot about my local history since I just finished a class on Cali history of Indians and settlers. And now that I think about it, when I was a kid and was first introduced to faeries, it was when I lived in the Foothills, and now I have been living in the valley(about 30 min away from Foothills) and the faeries have always looked the same. The thing is that I now live closer to where John Sutter had his fort and his first settlement(that shows by the fact that I live in Sutter County^_^) and before him the Spanish did come into this part of Cali with the missions(on the coast) but they did not make major settlements sicne they were in the middle of nowhere to make contact with anything 'civilized'. John Sutter only happened after the mission system failed and he easily dominated the now homeless Indians so he could use them for labor. I do know that before he used Indains and other immigrants he had brought over Hawaiian slaves and also a Hawaiian mistress. He himself was from Denmark....

And Melli, I would LOVE to know if you can find anything on local lore, I know everything I can about the dlocal Indians and the history of the area, but I really do not know much about myths and legends.... it would be a fantastic book to research and publish in the area....

And the answers about the faeries.....
1) I believe that they live in trees in dwellings
2) And I think they have courts because conversations have included their royality
3) They are deffentally not solitary. They view solitary people as they have something wrong with them or they are hiding something
4) Appearences I am not sure about, expect the one male I met as a child
5) They usually intreact just by popping up and saying "Hi". When I was a kid I would call to them to come and play, but the older I got the more they seemed to come on their own accord
6) What bothers them usually, with a few exceptions, is not being true to them by lying, keeping things from them, they HATE destruction to nature of any sort, they usually do not like it when you are rude, you must respect them always
7) I know that they have a different sense of age then us, most of the ones I have met were young in their standards, looked like teenagers to me, and the few Elders I have met looked like 50-70 yrs old, but I know they were much older by our standards
8) Now that I think about it, I have no idea what they did with their time. I know they socialized ALOT with each other and other creatures
9) I have no idea about how 'common' they are in the area. When I was a kid I was sure that my siblings were aware of them, my mother was when she was little, but I learned at a young age not to talk about abnormal things to others.... bad experiences in that category
10) As for being well known, yea..... when I was in elementary school kids always braged that they had seen faeries when they were little... or at least light that seemed like faeries.... but when I brought up the fact that I TALKED to them, they branded me as a witch(gotta love the ignorant people>.<)
11) No tradition that I know of in the area....
12) As for abnormal things in the area, I know of a LOT of ghosts(could write books about that) and a few other odd things, like there is this part that Wiccans go to do a bit of magic because there are 5 trees that form an actual pentagram and that if you stand in the middle and focus you can feel/sense/see all the five elements(I have done this) and a few haunted historical houses....

Geez, I think that is the longest I have written so far, hoped that info helped!!! :)

P.S- I was just talking to my Mom and she made a mention that when we were in the Foothills we were crystal hunting and she was walking on an old logging road and out of the middle of no where she found a faerie crystal. The oddest thing was on the way up the trail she saw nothing, and then on the way down there was a BIG crystal in the middle of the trial in plain sight^_^ thought you all might like that.

P.S.S- Melli, do you or anyone have info on the oldest known faeries, because i have a particular faerie in mind that is REALLY old, but looks really young. She is attached to a particular human, and I was looking for info and only found dead ends and I would love info from any and all! :weeee:

#56 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:10 AM

This thread is SO totally AWESOME!! I love reading what everyone has to say about them.. I up till recently dont know anything about fairies... Keep the info rolling in :) ...

PS: whats a fairy crystal? got a photo of it by any chance? would love to hear about that..!

#57 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:33 PM

Very interesting stuff here. I know that those "Atheistic" Europeans sometimes still put out goodies for the house fairy, or even change the route of a road. Cultural fallout or a more simple acknowledgement of experienced reality?

I have neve seen anything like this, but in my studies have read very interesting clearly fairy stories, as well as some very odd accounts of "travelers" through our reality, which may bear upon the topic.

The "Earth Folk" book by MacManus should have read "Irish Earth Folk" by MacManus. Some of the prices of these books have become outrageous. Books which were affordable two years ago, are either not available or priced extravagantly. There's some heavy interest out there. I also read the handwriting on the wall and bought copies of "Peatfire Flame", and "Crock of Gold", and I doubt that either is available now. The "Irish Earth Folk" book was very good, but small. For you in Great Britain, there was an earlier version of this book of which "Irish Earth Folk", was the American edition. I wanted the British edition, being something of a collector, but the postage was almost as much as the book. Melliot, you might look for this one.
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#58 nohara_megami

nohara_megami

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

Well Simmy, I would post pics but I unfortunetly do not have a scanner.... but the faerie crystal is about the size in length of your palm, about two fingers wide and pure white with a LOT of veins in it. My mother had to do some research to find out it was a faerie crystal, and that makes sense under the circumstances she found it under^_^ I'll look online and see if I can find one like it...

#59 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

cool nohara, sounds good ;) Thanks

#60 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:18 PM

Wow its great to see how this thread has really come back to life
keep it coming i cant wait to hear more :lol:
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users