Fairies

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#106 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Cars, Animals, Family....LIFE!

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

Here is that very first pic that everyone talks about.. a small story accompanying it. This one claims the pic was real. Firstly Heres the link to where i got it (fairy gardens)

The First Photographic Evidence?
In the summer of 1917, two young girls - Elsie Wright and her cousin, Frances Griffiths - claimed to have spotted and photographed a group of fairies by Cottingley beck, a small brook in rural England. The photos, one shown to the right, captured the nations imagination. It baffled the experts and seemed to be absolute proof in the existence of little people. Even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, was convinced.

It wasn't until decades later that Elsie admitted that the photos had been faked - with images cut out of magazines. Her cousin, Frances, also admitted to faking some of the images, but contended until her death in 1986 that one of the photographs was indeed genuine. It appears that, in the end, the matter is not so cut and dry as the skeptics would like you to believe!

The incident continues to inspire modern folklore and story telling. LADY COTTINGLEY'S PRESSED FAIRY BOOK, a whimsical book by Terry Jones and illustrated by Brian Froud, acknowledges the significance this event still has on our collective imagination.

Posted Image

cool ! :headbang:

#107 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:13 PM

For all interested, apparently this site is UP FOR SALE

http://www.fairygardens.com/index.htm

#108 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

Neat photos that you found Simmy! I'll take a closer look at them tomorrow (I'm so beat tonight I can't make anything objective about anything).

However, the first one with the accompanying story....my husband is very familar with Tory Hill, his grandfather lived out that way, his dad grew up there (and got into a LOT of trouble), my husband spent a chunk of his childhood up there. I know there are mines and the like up that way, but not heard about fairies in that area. Frankly, the stories I hear have to do with motorcycles and other 'adult' fare....lol. But next time I talk to my father in law, I'll pick his brain for any local stories.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#109 Simmy

Simmy

Ghostvillage Newsgirl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

Yeah they are arent they vampie! I love fairy pics, bring on more more more proof i say!!

#110 v-huntley

v-huntley

Provides a GREAT example!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:superstitions, cryptzoology, ghosts and anything else paranormal.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:56 AM

I believe they is a fairy realm somewhere and that one day in the future someone will find proof that fairies and the fairy realm really does exist.

V
Posted Image Posted Image

#111 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:26 PM

:lol: I hope that I am not still persona non grata on this board.

I happen to have an original on the Cottingley Fairy book with, of course, the original illustrations. The one sister always claimed that both she and her cousin had played, or at least interacted with fairies in the local woods.

There are one or two photos that never made the book though. These are the ones that are the most likely to be genuinely of paranormal interest. I have a copy of one, does anyone have copies of the unpublished set?
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#112 whiskeysuicide

whiskeysuicide

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:. joe strummer <3 . the clash . the mescarleros . this rockin' world . reggae . elvis . kitty-cats . riots . supernatural . vampires. faeries . aliens . jurassic park . ghosts . graveyards . ramen noodles . my love. yer face . ATHF . DBZ . chalupas . animals . halloween . ookie spookie things . saving the world .

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:54 PM

i do. i don't know exactly why i do. but i do. :lol:

Superior Galactic Grandma, after eatinga block of cheese, smoking three packsof cigarettes, and drinking a quart of milk... disgusting, that's the word ...R.I.P. Adam Sanders & Steve Harmonilove&missyouboth

#113 miriavas

miriavas

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:13 PM

In Scotland faeries were divided into the Seelie Court and Unseelie Court depending on whether or no they were kind. The Seelie Court is where all good faeries such as brownies are while redcaps belong to the Unseelie Court. Seelie is an old Saxon for "blessed" which is what they tend to do.

Kind faeries travel, spreading good and help where ever they go while the Unseelie hurt, frighten and sometimes even destroy mortals. Though it is not safe to offend those of the Seelie Court, the punishment from members of the Unseelie is much, much worse, and you dont even have to try to offend the Unseelie.

Unseelie-

Bogies
Brag
Duergar
Dunters
Goblins
Nuckelavee
Redcaps
Hags like Black Aliss
Jenny Greenteeth
amoung others

Seelie-

Blue Cap
Boggart
Brownie
Hobgoblin
Etc.

Courts

Fairy encyclopedia

#114 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:54 AM

I LOVE the Fairy Encyclopedia site you have given miriavas, bookmarked it and will have to give it a looking over later. In browsing it I did happen to come across Robin Goodfellow and can remember my grandfather telling stories about him, also spotted the Bean Tighe Fairies, that had to be my favorite legend as a child and as an adult, who wouldnt want to believe in lil fairies that come at night and do all your household chores!
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#115 FairyGoddess

FairyGoddess

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Always looking for places to explore. also a photographer ( well almost done with schooling)Love Haunted places but don't realllly care for horror movies.

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

I Love Fairies, and yes I believe

#116 miriavas

miriavas

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

Do I believe?
See siggy below. Whirly Dude

#117 Markway

Markway

Can dowse the moon everytime that it's full!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Para normal activity of all kinds, but especially the why of where. Bad things happen everywhere, but why is THIS place haunted, charged, etc.? Intelligent exchange of ideas, sharing of experiences and and putting various talents to work on a single problem. High strangeness of all kinds.

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:33 AM

Do I believe?
See siggy below. :toilet:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not a hostile question, but why do you believe?
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
This much let me avow---
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream:
Yet if hope has flown away In a night,
Or in a day, In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

#118 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

I thought the majority of fairies like Boogarts, Phooka's red caps, brownies etc. were solitary fey, attached more to the land than a court...
The court fairies are the gentry and the rest are the common everyday fairies.
While the everyday fairies are pretty dangerous (though usually just pesky) the court fairies are more powerfull, more sophisticated. It's said the courts ride out in a big parade on certain days- Samhain for one- and if you meet their parade you'll be forced to join it for all time. On other days if you come across a fairy hunt you could be forced to serve the King or Queen present (usually Queen) until you are either rescued or you die, or else you become the hunted.
It's generally wise to avoid the fairy courts, and only in a few tales do we hear of favours being given from a court rather than misfortune (Thomas the Rhymer being perhaps the most famous benefactor of a Fairie Queen).

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#119 Pat

Pat

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:My daughter, riding my bike, reading, ghost hunting and anything paranormal, meditation.

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

I ride my bike on paths in the woods and take random pics. After looking at your photos, I decided to go through some of mine and found this. I loaded it to putfile since I couldn't figure out how to post it. There is the sun coming through the trees but at the base of the tree in the center left, there is something shining on its own. Could it be a faerie?
http://putfile.com/p...00831.jpg&s=x11
Peace comes from within. -Buddha

#120 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

Interesting picture, but could it be reflection?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users