Can we talk intelligently about intelligent design

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 19 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

God? Aliens? Or what?

Have fun, and try to be nice.

Spooks ;)

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#2 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

Sure.
I'll start.

I think the evidence all around us points to a Designer. I believe that designer, ultimately, to be God. Sure, I suppose you could say Aliens did it, but I would respond, "but who made the aliens?"

I think the very complexity of our bodies, minds and environments suggests a system too complicated and complete to be the work of mere accidents and random chance.

Okay. I'll take the blindfold, a drag on my last cigarette and let the firing squad take aim...

#3 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:54 PM

Thank you very much for your response.

It is an interesting enigma to ponder,

and it was gracious of you to start it off....

All the best to you Randysteu,
Spooks ;)

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:43 AM

While I am one of those (apparently evil and misinformed depending on who you are talking to) people that holds to the theory of Evolution, I also am of the opinion that something engineered that evolution. From my point of view that would be a few Gods and Goddesses.

Frankly, I think the two fit together nicely.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:03 AM

Vamp, you nefarious creature you.

Actually I think that what you've said has a lot of merit.

Thanks for puttin' in,

spooks ;)

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,361 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:01 AM

My belief is that the ultimate power, the sourse, is a universal energy - where it all started. Infact, there are Gods and Goddess that represents various attributes of this energy, which I call "real" God.

Now, life has progressed through evolution, no doubt, but we will have to acknowledge to the fact that there is something that gives and contributes for such an amazing act.
Posted Image

#7 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:06 AM

Always a pleasure to hear from you Moon.
Well said. ;) :hug:

#8 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:22 AM

Nicely stated, Vamp!

I have no problems meshing religion and science. I take religion to encompass eternal laws, while science explains the laws which we understand. As our understanding increases these seemingly conflicting sides will exist in harmony.

I do not believe that Intelligent Design should be taught in science classes; there's simply no undisputed empirical evidence to back it up.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#9 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:52 AM

Yes, I tend to think they mesh well...... :ghost:

#10 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

I think intelligent design has a lot of merit, but it boils down to one key question: whose intelligence?

This is a concept that humans cannot grasp; I know I can't, but god had no beginning and has no end and everything came from god.
petunia4998

#11 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

This is a concept that humans cannot grasp; I know I can't, but god had no beginning and has no end and everything came from god.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe everything IS God? :ghost:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#12 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,361 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

Yes, Orbie, Everything is God, but not god as a person, but God as the all encompassing essence of existence.
Posted Image

#13 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:14 PM

Yep, as usual, Vamp has put it pretty well...
Though there is also my cynical side saying that, if we were designed like this on purpose, "Intelligent" would not be the word *I* would choose for it!
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#14 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

Yep, as usual, Vamp has put it pretty well...
Though there is also my cynical side saying that, if we were designed like this on purpose, "Intelligent" would not be the word *I* would choose for it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually, given the purpose and function, the design was perfect. It is what we do with that design that is flawed.

As for education, I really do think it should at least be mentioned. Right now, the religion of Atheism is being taught in school... that it all began from some unknown gas that managed to explode. There's no proof, at all, for that, yet it is taught as fact.

#15 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking &amp; baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting &amp; open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:39 PM

Define Religion V.S. Science please..... :ghost:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users