Photo

The Mount Washington Hotel, New Hampshire

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mikeb12653

mikeb12653

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I lived in Danvers, MA from 1959 until 1977. I know live in Lynn. My house in Danvers was in the nieghborhood where a lot of the women that were convicted of being witches in 1692 lived. Such people such as Rebecca Nurse, Sarah Putnam, and many others. This part of town is know for its hauntings for many years. A lot of people think the witch trial happenings were in Salem, but Danvers was knon as Salem Village during that crazy time in our history. So if you want to see the real area of the witch trials you have to travel to Danvers, not Salem, MA.<br /> I also attended school at the Essex Agricultural &amp; Techniccal Institude, an agricultural high school &amp; college. This school is located right down the street from the Danvers State Hospital. An area noted for it's hauntings since it was closed.<br /> I still enjoy going back to the old neighborhood and looking for hauntings &amp; sightings as time alows. (which isn't much). <br /> I'm always looking for people to talk &quot;hauntings&quot; with and taking people to the area I grew up in.

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:24 AM

While visiting the "Mount Washington Hotel" in New Hampsire over Christmas the weekend, I took some photo's with my digital camera that left "orbs" floating over the Hotel. Does anyone know if this place is haunted? I tried to load the photo's here on the message boaard, but I'm not that computer literate to doi that. If I could cut & past the picture in I could. I will email you the photos if your interested in seeing them or help me post them here on the web site would be easier. HAPPY HAUNTING NEW YEAR!
mikeb12653@yahoo.com

#2 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:50 AM

The mount Washington Hotel has many stories of haunts. I am pretty sure it was featured on more than one Travel Channels shows. Maybe it was "Haunted New England" and one of the "Haunted Hotels" shows. I could be wrong, maybe it was something other than the travel channel??????
There are stories on other ghost websites about the lobby and room 206.
Shame on me, I live in New Hampshire and have not been up that way in a few years.

#3 boombalu

boombalu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:15 AM

Just some related news about that neck of the woods, guess this took place last night.

(CBS4) BOSTON A six-alarm fire broke out at the Mount Washington Resort in New Hampshire tonight, according to Chip Steward, a representative at the resort.

The fire broke out at 6 p.m., Steward said. No injuries have been reported.

The Mount Washington Resort consists of four different properties on one land, including the Lodge at Bretton Woods, the Mount Washington Hotel, the Bretton Arms Country Inn and 80 or so condos.

The cause of the fire is unknown, but it does not look suspicious, according to Steward.

The hotel has 50 rooms, a restaurant, a pool and a jacuzzi/gym area. Steward said between 20 and 24 rooms were lost. He said the rest of the hotel is fine.

All the guests, between 100 and 150 people, were re-located to hotels and motels in neighboring towns, including Twin Mountain, Littleton and Whitefield.

#4 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

It was the Mount Washington Motel that had the fire, not the Mount Washington Hotel.

Yes....I had a ghost experience at the Mount Washington Hotel. It is actually haunted (only during the summer months from what I am told) by the original owner, Carolyn. Carolyn and her husband built the hotel. He was much older that Carolyn and he died shortly after the hotel was built. She remarried and moved to France and married a prince and she became a princess. He died too, I think in the war. Carolyn came back to the Mount Washington Hotel and stayed only during the summer months. She loved to hold elaborate parties in her "tower rooms".

I have been going to the Mount Washinton Hotel for 20 years and go anywhere from 2-5 times a year. The first 16 years, I never experienced anything at all. That is strange for me, as I grew up in a haunted house, and if there are spirits around, they usually come out for me, lol. Anyway about 4 years ago, we had a reservation for which was a golf package. We checked the day before to confirm our tee times at the golf shop. All was well, but somehow they switched us back to the hotel, only to find out that they had no reservation for a room in there computer for us. My husband had already paid by check too !! My husband flipped out and wanted to talk to the manager. As it was getting later, and we had no return call, my husband called back and asked to speak with the owner. He was politely told that the "owner" was not there, minutes later the manager called back and realized the mix up and said it was no problem, it was an off week and the hotel was about 90% empty, so getting a room was no problem. It was the first or second week in June and we got a really good deal for $279 (includes room, breakfast, dinner and golf).

When we checked in, we were told that we had the best room in the hotel, one of the "Tower Suites". I am holding my breath, cause I knew that is an $800-$900 suite. We didn't say anything cause we thought they gave us the best room because of the mix-up. We were handed the keys and were told we were all set and all paid for. Come to find out, we think Carolyn had a little something to do with it. The suite was awesome, it had a private separate entrance to it. There was a living room with fireplace, large bedrooms, two bathrooms and stairs that went up to the roof to a deck, the only deck on the roof. We had 360 degree views and beautiful views of Mt. Washington.

All was well until the sun went down. Later that night, we were watching tv and the channels kept changing
by themselves. We thought nothing of it. Then the volume kept going really high and then really low and then off. Still we thought nothing of it. The suite consists of the top of two towers that are joined. My husband went to bed (the bedroom was in one tower) and I stayed up in the living room (the other tower).
It was a night night out and I opened the window and was looking up at the mountain. Then I smelled a really stronge perfume scent. I thought it was strange coming from 4 stories up from the outside, but then I turned from the window and realized the perfume smell was coming from inside the room. Still thought nothing strange. It takes alot to spook me. Again the tv kept changing channels....always back to a channel that advertised the resort 24 hrs and kept changing the volume. I went to bed too and slept very soundly.

The next morning, I joking said to my husband that the room was haunted. Well, he looked and me and said "you are damned right it is". Shocking, cause my husband never had a ghost experience. I asked what happened and he said all through the night lights were going on and off all by themselves. He said at one point the living room light went on then off, then the hallway light went on and off the the bathroom light went on and the tub starting filling up with water all by itself. I said "it wasn't me". He said he knew because I was sound asleep. He then flipped out because he said that when he went to bed he looked out the window and saw a woman in the top main tower window looking back at him. He said the light was on in "her room" and she looked like she was rummaging through some boxes and she realized she was being watched and came to the window to stared back and would not stop staring. I asked what window and he pointed, he said it was one of the little windows on the main tower. Well, I started to freak out, because I knew those windows did not go to any rooms, the tops of the towers were storage only. He did not believe me, I said I would confirm it was a storage area when we checked out and I was right. Also, the desk clerk said those doors to the "storage areas" are always locked, no one in allowed up and certainly no one was up there that night.

Anyway, I had my husband describe "the woman" he saw. I went mmmmm and dragged him over to a full length portrait in the lobby of Carolyn. My husband turned pale, he said that was the woman in the window.
He quickly grabbed the bags and told me to check out and he would meet me outside. He was freaked by it.

I told this story to many employees there (by the way, they are not allowed to tell ghost stories, the hotel does not want to be known as a haunted hotel, I guess). Anyway I did have one employee whisper some stories she/he have heard. One actually happened in that same tower suite room we had. A couple saw at night two misty forms, a male and female holding hands. They entered from a wall in the living room (same living room I experience perfume smell and tv trouble) and strolled through the room and exited through another wall. The couple freaked and packed there bags and left.

I guess Carolyn haunts the tower rooms only........the $$$$ rooms, lol, as those were the rooms she spend her summers in. I still cannot believe how our reservation got lost and then we ended up in the best room in the hotel. I really think Carolyn had something to do with that. Anyway, I did tell my husband that when our mix up happened, he did call and ask for the "owner".......he didn't specify the current or the original one, lol.

We have been back many times since and nothing has happened, but then again we haven't been in the towers and we haven't accidentally been switched in the computer to a tower suite. It is priceless though to watch my husband everytime we are there. I always catch him looking up at the little windows in the tower.
It is like he is waiting to catch a glimpse of Carolyn again.

It is a fascinating place. Here is the website www.mtwashington.com

Look at the photo of it. Our suite was on the left, in the back though, there is a wing you can't see from this view. The middle towers are Carolyn's haunting spots, and look at the little tiny windows at the top of the tower. It really is an awesome place. It is expensive, but if you go at an off time, they have some really good deals.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#5 mikeb12653

mikeb12653

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:I lived in Danvers, MA from 1959 until 1977. I know live in Lynn. My house in Danvers was in the nieghborhood where a lot of the women that were convicted of being witches in 1692 lived. Such people such as Rebecca Nurse, Sarah Putnam, and many others. This part of town is know for its hauntings for many years. A lot of people think the witch trial happenings were in Salem, but Danvers was knon as Salem Village during that crazy time in our history. So if you want to see the real area of the witch trials you have to travel to Danvers, not Salem, MA.<br /> I also attended school at the Essex Agricultural &amp; Techniccal Institude, an agricultural high school &amp; college. This school is located right down the street from the Danvers State Hospital. An area noted for it's hauntings since it was closed.<br /> I still enjoy going back to the old neighborhood and looking for hauntings &amp; sightings as time alows. (which isn't much). <br /> I'm always looking for people to talk &quot;hauntings&quot; with and taking people to the area I grew up in.

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

Yes, the fire was across the street at "Brentton Woods Ski Area". My friend went up there and saw the damage, which wasn't that bad he said.
Thanks for your input to this topic.
TTYL
MikeB :clap:

#6 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

:weeee: With the amazing history it has - it would be no surprise that it is haunted. Many people mistakenly believe that the Shining was filmed there - although I have heard it was loosely based on the property. I was just up there last week - it really is a beautiful spot - and I'd love to hear more haunted tales about it.
Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

#7 mikeb12653

mikeb12653

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:54 AM

mikeb12653@yahoo.com
If you want to see the photo's I took of the Mount Washington Hotel, email me & I will send them to you. I still can't figure out how to post them here on this mesage board. Too bad you just can't cut & paste a picture on this board it would be so much easier. Anyone else agree?
MikeB

#8 diamonds

diamonds

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:ghosts, ghosts, and more ghosts!!!

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

mikeb12653@yahoo.com
If you want to see the photo's I took of the Mount Washington Hotel, email me & I will send them to you. I still can't figure out how to post them here on this mesage board. Too bad you just can't cut & paste a picture on this board it would be so much easier. Anyone else agree?
MikeB

Hi, ive been to the Mount Washington Hotel recently and my parent used to go the years ago... it is creepy and haunted looking... but im very sensitive to ghosts presences and i didnt feel anything but i loved it it was comfortable....I travel to New Hampshire a lot and I havent heared [eople say anything about it being haunted also...just thought Id let ya know.... doesnt mean Im right...lol... exit 2 Salem New Hampshire does have a Stonehenge of its own though which is worth checking out if you like haunted places...i can also tell you abput a lot of other experiences ive had at other haunted MA places...i love to ghost hunt... Diamonds
diamonds

#9 GhostCat

GhostCat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous &quot;green monster&quot;) lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

The Mount Washington resort just sold for 46.5 million dollars a couple of weeks ago. There was a rumor that they were turning the hotel into condos. Come to find out that is not true. The new owners will be building townhouses in the back of the hotel behind the golf course (beautiful spot with views of Mount Washington and the hotel), and also more townhouses will be added slopeside at the Bretton Woods Ski Area. The "Grand old Dame" will be left alone and will still continue to be a hotel, so Carolyn can still haunt there....she will just have some new neighbors.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#10 aturner

aturner

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

I have been going to the Mount Washington several times a year since Iíve been 14, Iím 24 now so a good ten years. The places charm and beauty is impossible to ignore. I have absolutely no doubt this place is haunted. The first experience I ever had at the hotel was when me and my cousin were going to use the indoor pool downstairs. It was about 8pm and we entered at the lower level next to the parking lot, where the kidís camp is. As we walked down the hallway one of the ceiling tiles blew clearly out of its place and disappeared directly above our heads. Both of us jumped out of our skin, as it made a loud bang and startled us. This was way before I had ever heard of the hotel being haunted. I guess it could be explained through some type of heating and ventilation system causing a suction and subsequently causing the ceiling panel to be sucked upwards, but for it to be such a violent bang the only thing I can compare it to is someone punching it as hard as they can with their fist.

I went to the Mount Washington with my cousin and a couple of my friends right after I turned 21 because I had always wanted to drink in the cave ( a bar in the bottom level of the hotel which entrance resembles a rock tunnel, itís a really cool bar!!) Me and my friends rented a condo across the street in the Bretton Woods complex. When we left the bar I had about 3 long island iced teas and was feeling really loose. My friend who drove to the hotel lost his car keys and being the dead of winter, there was no way we were making the 20 minute hike back to our condo in 15 degree weather. After searching for his keys for about an hour it was 2am. I said forget this and went in a room behind the large fireplace in the lobby and laid down on one of the couches. The next thing I knew I woke up feeling like I wasnít alone. I looked to my right and could see a man dressed in very nice clothes and a top hat (not of this time period) sitting next to me in a chair reading. I put my head back down and thought to myself what the hell is going on? Why would this guy be sitting in a room that was pretty much pitch dark at 3am dressed in nice clothes reading? The room was so dark there was no way he could even see what he was reading, I could only barely see him because my eyes had adjusted to the light after being in there for an hour or so. I lifted my head up and he was still there, so I got up and walked out of the room towards the front desk. I asked the lady at the front desk if she new who the guy in the room was. She said what guy? I thought he had to have been a hotel employee watching me to make sure I didnít steal or break anything. She told me I was the only person to go into the room since she had watched me go in there around 2am. It was now about 3:30am. I walked back to the room and he was gone. He couldnít have exited the room to the lobby, as I would have seen him walk out while at the front desk. I was like alright he must have gone out through the doors which go outside to the deck, (there are several wooden double doors which go out to the deck from that room) All three doors were locked from the inside. Someone turned the keys into the front desk the next morning and come to find out as part of our rental of the condo we had free 24 hour shuttle service back and forth from the Hotel. I donít know maybe it was meant to happen. Iíll never ever forget it.

I go back to the Mount Washington several times a year (summer and winter) with my girlfriend and always check that room and tell everyone the story. The room is right behind the huge fireplace closest to the front desk. I have felt like I wasnít alone at other times in the hotel; however, it is never a scary feeling. Iíve always felt warm and comfortable at the hotel, and never felt uncomfortable.

#11 TwoCrows

TwoCrows

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for posting the details of your experiences there guys. This place has been on my list for a while and this makes me more inclined to get up there soon.

#12 Rm200

Rm200

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

In July of 2005, myself and a good friend of mine played in a band at the "9th Annual Fabulous 50's and 60's weekend," at the Mt Washington Hotel. Part of the deal was that we got to stay there for the weekend, and got two dinners and two breakfasts in the large dining room. My friend and I stayed in Room 200, which is at the end on the 2nd floor, above the grand ballroom where we played the gig. We backed up Billy Shelton from the 50's group "The Spaniels," along with some other singers.

We arrived on Friday night (7/29/2005), and after checking in, went to dinner. Room 200 was elegant, and had a gas fireplace, and windows on two sides. I slept nearest the foyer. At 4 AM, I woke up, and realized that there was a light on in the foyer, which is probably why I woke up. It was very soft light, like neon, and illuminated the entire entrance way. There was no noise or movement. I stared at it for a minute, then got up and went to the bathroom. I walked back (past my camera), did not walk out into the foyer, and decided not to wake my friend - 3 critical mistakes. I had a lot on my mind, with breakfast at 9 AM, afternoon rehersal, and the gig Saturday night. I dismissed it as probably light from under the door, and went back to sleep!

The next night after we played the gig, I looked at the door, and there was no way any light could've shined through the bottom of the door, or anywhere else, for that matter.

I thought about going up there again and staying in the same room, but I could do that 100 times, and most likely nothing would happen. If I woke up my friend, took a picture, or even walked out there, this might've had a different outcome.

One final mistake is that I never looked up in the foyer, to see if there were any neon lights overhead (although I seriously doubt it). All the lights were off when I woke up later that morning.

Edited by Vampchick21, 17 January 2011 - 11:05 AM.
corrected spelling as requested

#13 Rm200

Rm200

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

:blush: With the amazing history it has - it would be no surprise that it is haunted. Many people mistakenly believe that the Shining was filmed there - although I have heard it was loosely based on the property. I was just up there last week - it really is a beautiful spot - and I'd love to hear more haunted tales about it.

When I stayed there, one of the hotel staff told me that Stephen King wanted to film The Shining at the hotel, but for some reason, it did not happen. It was instead filmed at a hotel in Chicago, which looked very much like the inside of the Mt Washington Hotel.

#14 GhostCat

GhostCat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

Look up the TAPS investigation there last year, it is great.. They actually got EVP's of Carolyn that haunts the hotel.. As for Stephen King.. the hotel at the time of his book did not want to be known as a "haunted hotel", so they refused the filming of it there... so, King claimed after that he did not write the story about the Mt. Washington and claimed he did not know about the hotel... even though he lived a stones throw away from it...

#15 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

Of course it's haunted...Jason and Grant say so (oh, and they probably made pantloads of money in the process).

Let real investigators research the place....not with a tv crew or 100 screaming TAPS fans in tow.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users