• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TaraJade

TaraJade

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:23 AM

Hi guys!!!! Hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year!!!! Before I go and purchase some items, I wanted to get feed back on what would be a necessity for evp and photographic investigations. Is a digital voice recorder better than one that takes a tape? Should I have a microphone? What kind of computer programs do I need to hear what I, hopefully, will capture? Should I have a digital camera or is one with film better? Where is a good idea to look for some of this stuff? I am excited to start, but a better idea of equipment would mean a lot to me. I look forward to hearing you ideas and hints... Thanks so much ahead of time!!!!!! --------Steph :ghost: :clap: :weeee: :whee:

#2 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:56 PM

Analog recorders with tapes would be best to use. Only use the tape once and only one side of it. Always use an external microphone, this will prevent noise from the machine being recorded. Digital recorders are never a good choice. They filter out sounds you may want to hear. Film cameras are best for evidence. A good SLR 35mm manual camera would be your best choice but any film camera will work. If you use a digital thats fine but dont rely on it as proof. A compass will help if you do not want to purchase an EMF meter at first. Just make sure you have a compass with a free swinging needle. If its sticky then its not good to use. As far as where to look its your choice. Try to find an area with some history behind it. Old cemeteries and buildings are always a good starting point. Hope this helps, enjoy, have fun and always be safe and respectful.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#3 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

A good digital camera would be your best choice but any camera will work. If you use a 35mm film camera thats fine but dont rely on it as proof. It is absolutly impossible to prove something paranormal occurred with a photo.

Save all that film/developing money and go digital, or better yet use a Sony nightshot camcorder. Using near-infrared can have definate advantages and you get a chance to examine frames before and after an anomalous picture. Night vision goggles are also a good investment. It will allow you to investigate at night and be invisible to others, but move freely around comfortable in the dark.

Any tape recorder is acceptable, as I have heard EVP from both, but I prefer to use a full sized audio cassette in a pocket sized recorder (Radio Shack has them). Magnetic media is cheap and easy to work with. Use an extention mike as Cajun suggested, I prefer a battery opperated lapel mic (also available at Radio Shack). Pretty much the standard editing software is Cool Edit; However, be careful as overprocessing can create false EVP itself. Always play the EVP in reverse also as sometimes the real message can be hidden there.

Don't go alone, and the standard FRS radios are great for keeping in contact with the other members of your party.

Most important, don't take ANYTHING as granted. Seek your own answers, find your own path, draw your own conclusions and relax to have fun. :ghost:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#4 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

If you do go digital, only use the media once so you don't pick up "ghosts" from past recordings.

Analog photos give you the negative, so skeptics can more easily see if an image has been messed with.

Be open minded, but be careful of matrixing (the mind trying to find patterns in nonsense).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#5 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:51 PM

Go with all of the above at the same time.... :ghost: B)

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#6 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

Go with all of the above at the same time.... :ghost: ;)

B) ROFLMAO! :ghost:
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#7 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

Hey Orb, have you seen the pic of my chihuahua?

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#8 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hey Orb, have you seen the pic of my chihuahua?

*pulls out cloak to hide off topic post*

Hey Spooks!

No I haven't seen the pics of your chi's, where is it? IM me :ghost:

Check your Instant Messanger, must be full, messages are being bounced back. B)

Edited by flyingorb, 08 January 2006 - 05:56 PM.

#9 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

Ok, it's in in animal pics. just posted today.

#10 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

Excuse me Chi's are not off topic when it comes to investigations. We all need protection from the dreaded Hoop Snakes ya know. :ghost:

Edited by CajunKnight, 08 January 2006 - 06:55 PM.

Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#11 spooksareus

spooksareus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for understanding the value of the little buggers on any investigation C.K.
The main thing is to relax, experiment and find out what works best for you.
Spooks

#12 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

Any descent camera will work and any tape recorder will do. Start simple.

#13 TaraJade

TaraJade

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:34 AM

Dogs of any kind are not off topic anywhere. I will talk about mine all the time. You all will probably get tired of hearing about my "girls". Thanks for the ideas and hints everyone. If you think of anything else useful, I would love to hear them. Every little bit helps when you are trying something new. Thank you again.

#14 lorddraven2000

lorddraven2000

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

also you can use a compass to detect emf fields. I say stay simple at first so you can see if you want to persue this and if you do than start laying out the big bucks for gear. Best of luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users