Are Tarot cards "evil"?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:09 AM

I wouldn't worry and stress over what you might get if you perform another reading. You may want to sit back and study the meanings behind the images and remember that it's not face value.

I agree with you, Vampchick. When I get the Devil card in a reading I always feel blocked because of the emotions a 'devil' evokes in me, even though I'm an atheist. The Devil card, for me, deals with the destructive forces in a person, not an actual devil entity. This means I have to dig a little deeper for intuition when I get the Devil card. The Emperor and Empress are much easier to work with because they don't give me the initial negative feelings.

Carlotta - I like how you put it, theraputic reading. I had the cards read for me on New Years Eve, and it gave me much to think about.

I never get anything from readers who read my'future'. They tell me 90% of the time stuff that makes no sense within my life and never happens.

One of the best therapy sessions I ever had was with a licensed therapist who was also an experienced card reader. The cards told her the information that I'd usually have to waste an hour explaining, and found issues that I perhaps couldn't or didn't want to see. This therapist could see these issues I was dealing with, and still dealing with, and gave me very good advice. I would go to her again, but she's in Boulder and I'm in Paris. *sigh* It's hard to get the readers who give you a therapeutic readings, and I specify when I meet with them the type of reading I want.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#17 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

What I found most interesting was that each card, within it's layout, within it's usual meanings, actually was pretty well on once I sat back and reflected on it.

And while it seems we've wandered off topic.....lol....actually we're just demonstrating that in fact, the cards are NOT evil at all. I've always considered them a good tool for reflecting on and sometimes uncovering a problem within yourself or a situation you find yourself it. I'd never thought before of using the term theraputic before, but now I really like the idea. I've never had a 'future' reading done, only for current questions or issues.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#18 grendel

grendel

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Movies, Work, Kung Fu, Sci-Fi, Going to bed as the sun rises, eating, breathing, bathing (on occasion), Nature...and so on and so on....

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:47 AM

My opinion is that cards can carry an essence. It all depends in who gave you the cards (assuming that you did not buy them) and how were they used. At one time I was in possession of a Aleister Crowley deck which I considered a beautiful but powerful deck. The person that gave them to me had used them for bad purposes which showed in the readings I would give. Unfortunately most of the readings came to pass. I ended up burning the cards and giving up on them entirely. I changed my ways so to speak. I do not doubt that cards can be evil or good. I just feel that it can carry an essence with them by the person who gave them to you or used them. Just my thoughts.
I'm just a very well-paid juvenile delinquent -Al Jorgensen of MinistryIf we moved in next door your lawn would die -Lemmy of MotorheadThe only reason we wore sunglasses onstage was because we couldn't stand the sight of the audience - John Cale of The Velvet Underground--------------------------------------------------http://fotofight.com...um_home/Dewlso/--------------------------------------------------

#19 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:photography, vampires, spirits, demons, faeries, reading, history, anime, comics, music

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

My opinion is that cards can carry an essence. It all depends in who gave you the cards (assuming that you did not buy them) and how were they used.

I've heard that as well. I've even heard that one person should not even touch another's tarot deck, but I never paid any attention to that.
Fortunately, I purchased my cards brand new.
I'm actually now using my tarot cards therapeutically by drawing one card a day and seeing how the card's meaning pertains to recent events. This has proven uncannily accurate. :clap:
I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne "Let my army be the rocks and the trees...and the birds in the sky." Dr. Henry Jones (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)Me- "You know, I didn't even know Lestat was going to be made into a musical."Rav - "I had read something about it, but I thought it was a joke."(go figure)

#20 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:58 AM

I don't believe that Tarot cards are evil and have to agree with Moon , lulaboo ,and spooks on this one.
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#21 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

I'm actually now using my tarot cards therapeutically by drawing one card a day and seeing how the card's meaning pertains to recent events. This has proven uncannily accurate. :)

Be careful not to buy into this too much. The cards have vague meanings so it is easy to twist recent events to match a reading.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#22 Faelivrin

Faelivrin

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

If you ever are confused about what a card might mean, you can check http://www.learntarot.com/cards.htm, although intuition usually works better. The problem is that most people have an ingrained thought or feeling about a word, such as death or the devil, that often blocks one's intuition. The death card in your case probably just meant that relationship was ending.

By the way, I wouldn't use those boards again if I were you, they often call to ANY spirit, and that can be problematic. Many believe it's medling, and whether or not it is meddling, DON'T meddle... That's bad... The movie "White Noise" should give you an idea on that. I wouldn't see that movie though, until after you're more comfotable with the cards.

#23 Crucify

Crucify

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

Jeez Faelivrin, why didn't you tell me that BEFORE we watched that movie? I'm just kidding...just kidding... XD

...go now!!

:: Rachael ::Stupidcore

98% of the population find statistics easy to understand. I am on of the 3% that does not.

#24 snappygator

snappygator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

Actually, I am rather interested in this topic as our group is currently doing a study on the cards. We have heard a bunch of reports saying that tarots attract evil spirits, etc. We have been unable to find any case histories on this theory, that tarot decks actually BRING negative entities into the home.

Does anyone have any imput on this?
thanks guys,

Morgan

Hello:

I've been reading Tarot Cards since I was 14 years old, and that's about 11 years now. Tarot has actually never put me incontact with negative entities. I am not a big fan of Ouija boards because I have made contact with negative things through that. However once again it could be that I was a tupid teen not careful with a powerful tool. Who knows, my personal preference is to stay out of Ouija boards. However I adore Tarot Cards. I have many different decks. I like to have a variety. certain cards work better for certain people, one person might do well with a reading from Revelations Tarot, and another might do great with the gilded deck, while with another person is best suited to the good old standby Rider-Waite.
If Tarot cards were truly evil, I think that I would be sprouting horns and a tail by now.

I've never had a negative entity come in due to Tarot cards, I think they are one of the safer tools.
As with anything though it's all in how you use it and from where your protection stems. If you are iffy about you protecting yourself or whatever higher power portects you, then you're in trouble. If you have the intention of manipulating anything to your whims you are in trouble with that.

For me it's not the cards that are truly valuable. I love them they're like Dumbo's magic feather. However they are more for the person I have to read for. It gives them s picture too. I have always found that depending on whom I am reading for different cards have different meanings. There is no truly universal meaning to any one card. It's there to give us a window to help ourselves or the others around us, for instance, death may well mean a physical death, and honestly I have only ever predicted one physical death and I only found out this year about that one. It's been 10 years since that prediction.

We have to keep in mind time really does not exist, if this is what you believe, and that today already happened yesterday and tomorrow is happening right now.

Cards are a tool plain and simple. They neither attract nor detract evil/malignant, or benign/benevolent entities. It is the human using the tool that attracts such things.

Andrea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users