Rock-A-Dundee Road Massachusetts

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wishfulthinkin07

wishfulthinkin07

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:anything supernatural, Wicca, music, guitars, books, etc.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

I've heard a couple of stories about Rock-A-Dundee Road in Hampden, Mass, but many people have told me that it's simply just a myth. Despite what I've been told, I made a page on Wikipedia about Rock-A-Dundee Rd. These are a few of the stories I found online.

Rock-A-Dundee Road is a popular attraction in Western Massachusetts that calls to the attention of much of the younger population. It is located in Hampden, Massachusetts (Hampden County) and is a popular location for parties. For a while now, legends and rumors have been spreading around that the road itself and the forest between Rock-A-Dundee and Howlett Hill Roads are haunted. Forty years ago, this road didn't exist and was part of the forest.

Popular legend says that a crazy woman lived in that forest, and if anyone came anywhere near her living quarters, she would chase them away with a hatchet. This happened during the '60s, therefore, it is the spirit of the woman who chases people away.

Yet another legend says that ten teenagers went out on the road and killed themselves in a row. Today, they are known as "The Rockadundee Spirits". Police had denied any claim of this event occuring, but there have been reports that as children, adults saw the actual ropes used.

It is also said that about 5-10 years ago, a specific spot on the road used to be a bus stop. One day, a little boy named Jared got off the bus and was then hit by it. A gazebo was then built there, and there is a rock in the area of the gazebo that reads "Our Bus Stop". It is said that the gazebo is now haunted by the ghost of Jared.

There may be many more stories about Rock-A-Dundee Road. Believer or not, if you go take a visit, you'll notice something eerie about the place. That's all due to the land's haunting history.

My friends have also spent some time out on the Road, and they told me how they felt that something weird was around them...like someone was watching them, but they didn't see anyone around.

Anyone else been on Rock-A-Dundee Road?
Merry Part and Blessed Be!

#2 kipling

kipling

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

Wishful,

I conduct paranormal research on legends in Massachusetts and have come across this legend several times. A haven't heard several version of the legend you listed, so thank you. I think the most popular is the little gazebo boy. I have also heard in most of them that a car also haunts the location, and I spoke to several people who have experienced things like that in other Massachusetts towns. I am writing a article comparing them right now...

Massachusetts Paranormal Crossroadswww.masscrossroads.com

#3 lestatsgirl9

lestatsgirl9

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

i went to Rock-a-dundee rd MANY times. i have wentness many things there. i have taken pictures and have footage. i is too much to type here...but i was never able to find anything about rock-a-dundee. so when i saw this i just HAD to share this with u. if u have any questions just email me. i just wanted to say that i have been there.

I've heard a couple of stories about Rock-A-Dundee Road in Hampden, Mass, but many people have told me that it's simply just a myth. Despite what I've been told, I made a page on Wikipedia about Rock-A-Dundee Rd. These are a few of the stories I found online.

Rock-A-Dundee Road is a popular attraction in Western Massachusetts that calls to the attention of much of the younger population. It is located in Hampden, Massachusetts (Hampden County) and is a popular location for parties. For a while now, legends and rumors have been spreading around that the road itself and the forest between Rock-A-Dundee and Howlett Hill Roads are haunted. Forty years ago, this road didn't exist and was part of the forest.

Popular legend says that a crazy woman lived in that forest, and if anyone came anywhere near her living quarters, she would chase them away with a hatchet. This happened during the '60s, therefore, it is the spirit of the woman who chases people away.

Yet another legend says that ten teenagers went out on the road and killed themselves in a row. Today, they are known as "The Rockadundee Spirits". Police had denied any claim of this event occuring, but there have been reports that as children, adults saw the actual ropes used.

It is also said that about 5-10 years ago, a specific spot on the road used to be a bus stop. One day, a little boy named Jared got off the bus and was then hit by it. A gazebo was then built there, and there is a rock in the area of the gazebo that reads "Our Bus Stop". It is said that the gazebo is now haunted by the ghost of Jared.

There may be many more stories about Rock-A-Dundee Road. Believer or not, if you go take a visit, you'll notice something eerie about the place. That's all due to the land's haunting history.

My friends have also spent some time out on the Road, and they told me how they felt that something weird was around them...like someone was watching them, but they didn't see anyone around.

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

~Thank you for sharing such an eery story, Wishful! :Spaz: I've never been there, but I love to read stories such as this one. Thank you again!

~Lestatsgirl, did anything "odd" show up in the pictures that you took? If so, can you post them here?
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 lestatsgirl9

lestatsgirl9

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:00 AM

yes and i will soon....

#6 wishfulthinkin07

wishfulthinkin07

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:anything supernatural, Wicca, music, guitars, books, etc.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

I've yet to come upon Rock-A-Dundee Road, but I'm sure to go sometime soon. Hopefully, you'll hear from me shortly afterward.

By the way, I heard an alternative version of the Jared story. It says that he was killed by a drunk drive and that his parents had the gazebo built in his honor.

Supposedly, there's also a ghost car. :hug:
Merry Part and Blessed Be!

#7 chewie413

chewie413

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

anybody care 2 join me 2 investigate along w/ me?

#8 levi

levi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:ghost hunting, roadtrips, playing guitar, horror movies, and being me.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

anybody care 2 join me 2 investigate along w/ me?

Sure, me and my finacee are always looking for haunted roads to prowl.
Sign says "next sign 30 miles."

#9 levi

levi

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:ghost hunting, roadtrips, playing guitar, horror movies, and being me.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

I'll be heading out there tonight, if I see anything cool I'll post about it.
Sign says "next sign 30 miles."

#10 rosesxcold

rosesxcold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

Okay so one night we decided to go to rock-a-dundee to just be stupid and get scared. we left around eight and were over there around nine. this was my first time as well as my friend danielles but we werent that scared. that time nothing strange happened. two days later on may 23, 2008 we decided to go with a group of friends. it was me and five other friends and we decided to go a little later this time. we got to rock-a-dundee a little after ten. We made it to the end of the road and turned around to go back. on the way back we decided to stop and get out of the car to make it a little more exciting so we all got out. We saw lights that kept coming back and dissappearing, they sorta looked like the lights a light house has, so we jumped in and drove deeper. We stopped again and all got out. two of the boys decided to run down the road and run back, and quickly they did and came back. then me and one of the other girls ran down and ran back because we slid on rocks. then we saw a light and heard a voice so we all jumped in the car and drove off. going 65mph we almost hit a teenage kid who ran up to the car with a bat and smashed the driverside mirror. the driver side window suddenly began to roll down out of nowhere and we came up on about seven more teenagers all throwing rocks and sticks wearing black. we sped out on that dirt road making every turn perfectly. if anything had happened differently i honestly dont think we would have made it out alive. legend is said that there is ten teenage boys who hung themselves and became the "rock-a-dundee spirits" and we believe that is who we came across.

#11 Jeff S

Jeff S

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

That is a very interesting story. It kinda makes me want to go and investigate it even more lol. I tried to find directions on mapquest and on yahoo but it gave me nothing. Is there any chance someone can either post or PM me the directions? I know I am going to have to take 91N into Mass. But from there the directions just took me into the center of Hampden.

#12 Kruzy13

Kruzy13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting.. obviously, Off-roading, working on cars.

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:00 PM

I live in Wilbraham, Ma and have been there many times. theres nothing special about that road what so ever. I have 3 friends who even live by that area in Hampden. Ive even slept in my car with a friend on the side of the road to prove a point. Nothing happend. Ive been there ALL times during the day on different days. If you have an over active imagination you might have fun, other than that its a waste of gas.

And for whoever went "65mph" down that road, its barely enough room for 2 cars, id only wish a cop was there. Automatic license suspension for more than doubling the speed limit, and driving irratically.

My last summary,.... FAKE MYTHS, FAKE LEGENDS, WASTE OF TIME.... and as ive said, ive been there too many times to count... at least 50+ times cause its an easy route to CT.

-Kruzy
I may sound like an a$$, and seem like im totally doubting you, but I'm just getting the facts and stating my thoughts, who nows... You may well be wrong. I can be sarcastic.. Okay... Im VERY sarcastic.The best thing about ghost hunting, is having a Jeep to offroad and get somwhere with!

#13 Rocky514

Rocky514

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

Wishful,

I conduct paranormal research on legends in Massachusetts and have come across this legend several times. A haven't heard several version of the legend you listed, so thank you. I think the most popular is the little gazebo boy. I have also heard in most of them that a car also haunts the location, and I spoke to several people who have experienced things like that in other Massachusetts towns. I am writing a article comparing them right now...

Me and My Friends went to Rockadundee Halloween night around eight or nine, after driving up and down the road several times and seeing nothing we were about ready to go home. We had two packed cars and I was driving the one in front, as we were heading down the road away from CT I spotted a nice area to pull to the side of the road it was right by a telephone pole. My friend pulled his car up in front of me and just as we were getting out we noticed a car stopped dead in the road about fifty feet behind us. Although it was the first car we had seen on our rides up and down the road I wasn't too suspicious. I stepped to the side of the road and signaled for the car to pass but than it started flashing its high beams and after I yelled "What do you want!?" it started laying on its horn. I just figured it was some BAD_WORD off neighbor so I jumped back in my car and took off, my friend (kind of a wimp) had already taken off and we took opposite roads at a fork up ahead. I came to a barn with a no trespassing sign on it so I turned around and headed for the road my friend had taken. After going about 200 yards down the road I saw high beams coming up in front of me, I slowed down beacause it is a very narrow road but as the car came closer I noticed it coming onto my side of the road. As I got closer I saw it was a truck ( definately different than the first car) and it had come to a stop on my side of the road, at this point I wasn't planning on stopping so I drove off the road and around the car, as I passed the driver yelled "Slow down you little BAD_WORD!". I was pretty mad so I layed on my horn and than in my rear view saw the truck begin to turn around to chase me. Whoever said they were going 65 mph I doubt it but I was hitting 45 for the rest of the road. After the experience was over me and my friends of course couldn't stop talking about it. At first I simply thought that some angry neighbours were out to teach some kids a lesson but no one in either car saw the first car approach which arrived about 30 seconds after we parked, and my friend driving the other car didn't pass any cars nevermind a truck as he left the road. I just thought I'd share the story becuase a ghost car was mentioned, I didn't find out half of the stories about the road until today

#14 nicky-ola

nicky-ola

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

so i went up there with 6 other friends tonight from about 9:30 to 10:30 pm, 5 of my friends had been there before
what they like to do is bring out a ouji board and talk to Jared in the gazeebo, so thats exactly what we did tonight. i had barely heard of rock-a-dundee road before tonight, all i knew about it was that my friends had gone up before haha so before me and three other people started to do the ouji board i just asked for them to explain it and the explanation i got was that there are two ghosts, Sarah and Jared. Sarah is the mean one and Jared the nice one. Sarah is a woman while Jared is a four year old boy who died from cancer in 1993 and had lived on that road. I was just like okay thats cool. One of my friends claimed to have gotten hives all over her body after the last time they went there which went away later that night and it was her first time ever getting hives but that she got them because she got attacked by Sarah. I was just like okay whatever haha i didnt really think much of it. so we started with the ouji board and it was my first time using one but i felt like i could pick out which of my friends was moving it the whole time haha and even a few times just to see what they did i started it in a certain direction and then thats where we brought it to, so like the whole time i wasnt buying the whole "talking to Jared's spirit" thing. the other three of our friends which werent using the ouji with us were over at the road with a guitar and some people driving by had stopped and asked them to play them a song so the four of us at the ouji board thought it was funny and got up to go over to our other friends and for awhile after that just hung out singing and stuff. the whole time the triangle moving piece of the ouji board was on the word ouji on the board and we had never technically said goodbye to Jared. At one point we walked like literally five feet down the road and just stopped at the first driveway there was but right before we started walking me and a few of the people went back into the gazeebo to grab the valuable stuff we had...i was the last to leave and pushed the triangle piece onto the word goodbye on the ouji board so needless to say when we got back the other three got so freaked out because they knew that it had moved and i just silently sat there and watched as they worried if Jared was going to haunt them haha so we channeled him back just to make sure he wasnt mad.....he wasnt
until i got home and looked into this road thats all i knew and i think thats all my friends know and i dont think any of them have actually gone past the gazeebo but the other legends are cool to hear

Edited by Crone, 23 July 2009 - 05:14 AM.

#15 dlab

dlab

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users