• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vernonw1

vernonw1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:07 PM

Hi!  I wasn't sure what to post this under...

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Romani (also referred to as Gypsies, derogatory term)  superstiotions or folklore.  I know that the Romani originated in India and can be found throughout Europe and Canada...the US as well.  They are very secretive people, due to their lack of acceptance in most societies.

I am a teacher and my students last year were interested in "gypsy" artwork, legends and lore.  I have found many good sorces on the internet, but was wondering if anyone knows anything else they can tell me.  It would be greatly appreciated.

I have only had one encounter with Rom and it was in Germany at a fest when I was with my parents.  A young Romani woman took my bag when I was going into the watercloset, and then ran off with it motioning for me to follow her.  I do not know what she was up to.  I am aware that all Romani are not the thieves they are perceived to be.  It is unfortunate I had such an experience.

Can anyone help me out with any info I could pass to my students?  Thanks!!!
"When you let beauty and peace sink into you, dissension and strife begin to look like sheer insanity. Everything that people make a fuss about seems unimportant " Anne Frank

#2 trudy_causey

trudy_causey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

use your computer and type in romany folk lore then go to no. 5

#3 vernonw1

vernonw1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:19 AM

Thanks, trudy. What search engine?

I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything (superstitions, etc) first hand.

My students are very excited about other cultures...especially the more mysterious ones.  
"When you let beauty and peace sink into you, dissension and strife begin to look like sheer insanity. Everything that people make a fuss about seems unimportant " Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users