• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#1 The White Knight

The White Knight

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:35 AM

When it comes to the cause of 'supernatural' activity, I've got a theory that I don't necessarily believe in, but trust to be as viable as any of the other ones out there. I'm sure many of you know that, according to scientists, we (humans) only use up to 10% of our brains. We can communicate instantly with people on the other side of the world, have successfully replicated (cloned) organic matter, have taken pictures of other galaxies... and we're only using 1/10 of our potential! What would happen if we could unlock that other 90%? My theory suggests that we already have, only subconsciously. Most ghosts and 'otherworldly' activity is connected to a time, place, or event in which great emotion was released, be it good or bad. Also, supernatural occurences tend to peak at night, although they are most definitely not restricted to it. If I'm not mistaken, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, your subconscious is most active at night, when you're asleep and your conscious mind is taking a break. That's why you dream. Now, I could go on for a really long time about dream theories, but the point here is that maybe, just maybe, some of these strange things are caused by US, the living. The power of humanity's combined subconscious thought could possibly be at least one source of ghostly events. That doesn't eman they aren't real, it would just mean that WE created them. We made them real without realizing it.

Any thoughts?

-White Knight

#2 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

Why not?
It is as good as any other theory I 've read.

Actually there is some evidence to support that idea. Our thought waves are electricity or energy. Just as radio and television signals are. If you tuned into the right frequency you should be able to picture what someone else is thinking. The major difference between thought waves and radio or televison waves is the energy behind them. We do not have 100,000 watt transmitters in our head. I was watching a report on CNN last night where they hooked an amplifier up to someones head, She had ALS and was losing control of her motor functions, and using her thought she was moving the mouse and contrling a computer.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#3 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

I've often wondered about this myself.
Would we be projecting a waking dream into reality?
I wonder though about people seeing a ghost, telling someone about it, that someone then shows them a picture of their grandfather, and the person identifies the picture as the ghost they saw. How would we be able to create such a coincidence?
Or many people, who have never met, reporting at different times, that they saw a ghost in a museum. The musuem curator tells each person that other people have seen the same thing. How would all of these people be able to conjure up the same image? :)

#4 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:37 PM

Grim, my understanding is we can project an image into the atmoshpere, it can stay there as long as the energy is there to support it. With specialized equipment they are still detecting radio signals which originated in the forties. This idea is not new, there has already been a lot of research done into it.

Why do you think I'm such a fence sitter, there is plenty of evidence on both sides of the coin. I feel we will find the answers somewhere in the middle. Since the fence is in in the middle the answers will come to me. lol
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#5 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:04 PM

;) Evad! I kid about the fence sitting. I mean no malicious intent!
It's a great theory, I never said it wasn't. I was just throwing some questions into the pot.
I've personally come to believe that ghosts are the remains of a person, minus the fleshy casing. This is what I work with when I go out looking for them. Like nature, and all of its laws, I try to keep it simple.
I'm open to new angles on what ghosts are, and excluding the one in this thread, I often hear ghost theories that seem to be quite complex. Way more complex than: person dies, something remains after death, that something has returned.
Now move over, you're hogging all the fence room. :hug:

#6 The White Knight

The White Knight

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:49 AM

Hey guys, any extra room on that fence? Like I said, it's just a theory, and I haven't quite seen anything to disprove it yet. I'm still a fence-sitter myself, not having seen or had any particular experiences involving ghosts and the like. Friends have, but that still isn't me, now is it? :) Anyway, I'm leaning with what Evad said about energies lingering. We've proven that things like radio waves can stay around for years, so considering how truly little we know about the human brain, who's to say that the energies we emit wouldn't last longer? To address your concern, Grim, maybe people, after living or being in a place for long enough, or having a traumatic event happen, simply leave enough excess energy around to make an imprint of themselves, which we would consider ghosts. Until I hear an ironclad theory, I'm willing to listen to anything that sounds plausible.

#7 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:19 AM

An ironclad theory, now thats an novel idea. The definition of a theory is something that can be disproven but never proven.

You guys are going to have to write to spooks and ask her to build a bigger fence. She already modified mine to fit my lawn chair. I'm pretty comfortable up here.

Grim you may have misinterpreted something I said, I am proud to be a fence sitter. lol Fence sitters unite. There are more of us than there are of them.

These ideas are in constant reevalution, questions welcome. Whats good is a theory if it doesn't even stand up to the first scrutiny?

Edited by evad_83647, 07 February 2006 - 03:20 AM.

#8 The White Knight

The White Knight

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:01 AM

Absolutely, Evad! I completely agree. If a theory can't stand up to the tiniest amount of scrutiny, than what's the point? You're right about the ironclad theory thing, too... I misspoke. Or mistyped. Whatever. But at least my point got across. I actually hope that more people try to point out flaws in my theory. If I can explain them away and it still stands strong, then great! If it dies an unl33t death, then, well... at least I tried, I suppose. And... lawnchairs? Really? I think I'm gonna need to buy some reak-estate on that fence! Move over guys! :) It's about to get cozy up there!

Edited by The White Knight, 07 February 2006 - 10:06 AM.

#9 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:55 PM

Well said both of you, you two are excellent thinkers. I did misunderstand you, Evad, it seems, but I'm just glad I didn't offend you!
I agree with the imprint theory, and have read and heard of many ghost accounts that have fit this scenario. There is a type a ghost that is an imprint (Oh man, so is it a ghost or an imprint?! My head spins). For example, I read of one account of an imprint in a home. Every anniversary, at the same time, a man would chase a women up the stairs, and upon catching her, would begin to stab her. While this horrific act was occuring, they would both fade away. Interference did not seem to matter, as the two were oblivious to their surroundings.
What stumps me about the imprint theory, and why I regard an imprint as only one type of haunting, is the other type of ghost. The one that is interactive and seems to possess human intelligence. How could an imprint change, a supposed recording in the fabric of time, if you interacted with it. Interactions such as physical contact, the hiding of personal belongings, and manifestations of both itself and inanimate objects?

I'm loving this thread! This fence is great, but that bird that just flew over, well, you know...and this is a new shirt! :)

#10 The White Knight

The White Knight

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

I was thinking you'd say something like that, Grim. Look at it from a scientific perspective. I'll give two very basic examples. A sound wave, upon hitting a solid surface, changes, goes in various directions at various speeds. Other waves stop. Some are completely unhindered. This shows that even though they are all waves, they are different. Now lookat something as simple as a plant. It has no brain, but it's roots can still wrap around things. It reacts, just in subtle ways. There's nothing to say that an imprint of energy couldn't be strong or focused enough to move something physical. And we can't rule out the possibility of lingering psychic emanations. If you believe in ghosts, maybe you believe in possible psychic capability. Either way, theoretically, the human brain could have the power to move objects. What if those same thoughts and waves were ALSO imprinted with the base energy?

#11 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

I enjoy bouncing these thought off you guys. Probably why I'm spending way too much time here. Quick Grim duck under my umbrella, save the shirt.

I'm a fan of the residual energy idea. It is logical, so it makes sense to me. As far as moving objects or interactive talks with ghosts of course it wouldn't apply. But how about this?

I am dreaming and projecting my thoughts further than normally possible because of my relaxed state. You are out hunting for ghosts. The conditions are perfect it is dark and your senses are accutely aware of your surroundings. You phsyce is trying to tune in to different wavelengths, suddenly you tune into my dream. I am consciuos and thinking and can interact with you.

This still doesn't explain moving objects unless I'm just playing with you. I don't think I have that much power but someone might.

I've read threads here though where this scenario wouldn't work. It might explain some of them though.

I have to keep going back to my energy theory to get full explanations.

There is no reason to beleive energy would behave any differently in a paranormal world than a physical world. The laws would have to be the same. Energy is life. From the smallest particle which makes up an atom, to the way our earth moon and sun interact all the way up to how the known universe behaves.

There are a lot of theories on parallel universes, but realistically everything has to interact so everything should be contained in this universe. Under my theory, ghosts can exist, god can exist, we can exist. All on the same plane.

How is that for not offending anyone. lol

Edited by evad_83647, 07 February 2006 - 03:30 PM.

#12 Bobnoxious

Bobnoxious

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Music (heavy metal, punk rock, rockabilly, progressive rock, old country, garage rock, and other non mainstream sounds), movies (horror, sci-fi, exploitation, independent, foreign, and old classics mainly), writing (mostly for my zine/website Utter Trash - http://www.uttertrash.net), and singing for my band Horror of 59 (http://www.horrorof59.com).

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:20 AM

The biggest problem with this theory is that the "we only use 10% of our brains" claim just isn't true. Once again, Snopes comes through with agood debunking of this urban legend. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just thought this should be pointed out. I'm still a fence sitter myself with regards to ghosts, by the way, but I fear that's more wishful thinking than anything else. The idea of ghostly "impressions", as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, is the one I fine most likely. But if that's all there is, it's definitely not proof of life after death, which means we're still on our own in that area. And in the end, while there are reports of both "impressions" and more interactive spirits, neither sort has any hard evidence to back them up. Just personal experience/anecdotes. In the end, it's still all a matter of faith at this point.
"Future events such as these will affect you in the future." - Criswell, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

#13 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:07 AM

I completely agree with you, Bobnoxious. While there is some good evidence regarding ghosts, there's no hard evidence, and it does seem to be a matter of faith, opinion, and speculation at this point.
Jumping back to the other posts, waves of various kinds are "things" which never were alive. They are doing what the laws of nature conduct them to do. Plants are only reacting to stimuli, are not intelligent, and are more or less also following the laws of nature.
However, I agree that ghosts are energy. In regards to the moving and the grabbing and the manifestation of the ob-jects! (Sorry. Had a Prof. Frink moment there) I believe that ghosts somehow are able to manipulate the natural forces around them (such as electricity). I think that they may do this telekinetically. I believe that they must do this in order to somehow have enough juice to manifest, move objects, etc. I think Evad may have touched on this "juice" aspect, but I think he suggested that it may be our emotions that they feed of off.
Also, unlike plants and various waves, ghosts seem to display a human conscience. Would a repetitive imprint or just an impression act in such a way? :hug:

#14 The White Knight

The White Knight

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:12 AM

Well, I was mostly using the reference to plants and waves as exapmles. Alos, I wasn't necessarily imlying that the imprints did intelligent things... I don't believe they possibly could. But there's still so much that we don't know about ghosts, wso who knows? Normal rules probably don't apply. Also, Bob, even if that whole 10% deal isn't true, it's still possible for the human subconscious to do things we don't understand. Good points, though, both of you.

Also, I think we need a bigger fence, and will somebody order some new shirts? *eyes birds supsiciously*

Edited by The White Knight, 08 February 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#15 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

You all have good points. I beleive we are using more than 10% of our brain but it is still evolving (see different thred).

The only thing I see I really disagree with is White Knights comment that ghosts would have to behave differently. They would have to behave the same. The difference is their mass would be much lighter being mostly energy and they would have to feed differently than we do. Plants do not feed the same way we do yet they exsist in our laws of nature.

Just my humble opinion. Glad to see more people here discussing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users