28 replies to this topic

#1 Mistteak

Mistteak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:horses<br />animals<br />ghosts<br />this site

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:42 AM

Sorry guys .. i should have done a search ..

but you know the old legend .. you speake evil name x 3 and he will appear .. one was a movie The candy man.

How many varients are there of thise one .. and any basis of fact??

Cheers
Mistteak

#2 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:48 AM

Would this be similar to saying "Bloody Mary" into a mirror 20 times or however many times you are supposed to say it? I've never tried either of them, but they sound like urban legends to me.

However....I did say Beetlejuice three times, and now I can't get rid of him! ( :ghost: Sorry! I couldn't resist! :) )

#3 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking &amp; baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting &amp; open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:01 AM

:ghost:

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#4 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:02 AM

:ghost:

#5 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

The only one that I have heard of other then from the movies is the Bloody Mary one.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#6 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Ghost hunting (see above listed web site)

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:49 PM

I thinks its called scyering, that is the ancient practice of looking in a mirror, or reflective surface, to try to see future events. Nostradamus used a bowl of water in a tripod. Blood Mary is just a corruption of the belief that occult secrets can be attained via scyering. (sp?)

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

"Candy Man" was invented for the movie off of one of the Bloody Mary urban legends.

When I was in third grade, I was in the restroom during recess while some friends did the local Bloody Mary (lights off, water running, place wet hands on the mirror while chanting the name 3 times). I swear that the water started to glow white and I saw an upper torso of a lady in the mirror. Mists shaped like arms came out of the mirror and reached for us. I ran for the light switch, and when I turned it on the brestroom was normal again.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#8 Mistteak

Mistteak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:horses<br />animals<br />ghosts<br />this site

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:48 AM

urban leg or no .. me not gonna give it a shot!!!

#9 Jody

Jody

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Art, Poetry, Film... alot of things<br /><br />anything to do with the paranormal<br /><br />

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:01 AM

i tried differant variations of this and candyman, before i had ever even heard of the movies... i usually got to a second number before i got a bad feeling and stopped and turned on the lights...
Life is but a dream....

#10 noonie68

noonie68

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in anything paranormal and anything that involves Wicca along with rituals and ceremonial majik. I love pictures and I love taking them and inspecting every one with my magnifying glass...lol And, off the beaten path, I love horses! hehehe

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

Ok there was an episode on Supernatural that dealt with bloody Mary....cool episode I must say but, I think it's all urban legend b.s. When I was a kid I did the whole bloody Mary thing and did the Candyman thing too after I saw the movie......nothing happened.

Oh yeah, thanks Grim for taking Beetlejuice off my hands....He was driving me nuts!!! LOL

#11 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

LOL!!

#12 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:15 PM

Candy man and Bloody mary are urban ledgends.....scrying is a good word to be used when using the mirror, so is mirror gazing. We have done mirror gazing before as well. While some do not believe it works...I can testify that we sat in front of an antique mirror for more than hour....it did take sometime to work, but what I witnessed was after 20 minutes it looked like my face turned to wax and started to melt I saw various faces of different women from different time periods...one even as frightening as more of a black and white focus of a woman with her eyes gouched out. We have tried it a couple times more each time just as interesting...I saw a man in the last reflection that I did too and that was when we were at the Buxton Inn. Mirrors have been a wide focus on portals to the spirit world, in the 1700 and 1800's they used to cover mirrors upon death fearing that the deceased would trap it's spirit in the mirror. Julie
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#13 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Mirrors have been a wide focus on portals to the spirit world, in the 1700 and 1800's they used to cover mirrors upon death fearing that the deceased would trap it's spirit in the mirror. Julie

That might be where the urban legend of Bloody Mary and Candy Man grew out of, a forgotten rememberance of the old belief that a spirit could be trapped in or come through a mirror. Jeff's book on spirit communication has a chapter on using mirrors.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#14 fallen wings133

fallen wings133

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:slipknot, computer games and getting drunk *hicup* oh and eating cake. i like cake...who doesnt?<br /><br />and skating loooove skating and the beach now its spring/summer lol

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:39 AM

i tried it as a dare when i was seven and its been 11 years later and im fine and dandy....i think
well, im a slave and i am a master.this is the beginning then. the beggining of the end

#15 SchattenJager

SchattenJager

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Ghost hunting (see above listed web site)

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

In the old south mirrors had to be coverd upon upon the death of a loved one because it was believed mirrors trapped spirts and made them earth bound. It was believed that a spirit lingered 40 days on earth before to heaven or Hell or whereaver.

quote name='fallen wings133' date='Mar 2 2006, 07:39 AM' post='297137']
i tried it as a dare when i was seven and its been 11 years later and im fine and dandy....i think
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users