Monson State Almhouse

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Matt B

Matt B

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

I saw some older posts regarding the Monson State Facility. In the mid 90's I travelled trough it a few times on my dirtbike. We used to ride out of Wilbraham MA from the RR tracks that parallel Rte 20. There was a trail that cut off the tracks and led in the back way. Nobody ever wanted to stop and take a break in that area. Everybody would slow down and take it easy. As I recall, the buildings were in reasonably good shape and most of the road was still paved although fairly overgrown.
I grew up in that area and none of the kids from Monson,Palmer, Wilbraham, or other surrounding towns would ever party there even though it would seem to be the ideal spot for kids to do that type of thing.
I don't claim to have ever seen a ghost or had any other supernatural experience in my life.
That place however was just plain creepy. Nobody I rode with would really say anything, but I got the impression everybody got the same feeling.
As I recall it would be up the hill and to the right of the pesently operating facility. I believe it is gated from that entrance.
If I have a chance, I will try to bring my four wheeler down in the warmer months and see if it's still as it was than. I'd like to hear from anybody else who might make it in.
Matt

#2 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:10 PM

Welcome to Ghost Village Matt B :Spaz:
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#3 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

Welcome to the GV Matt!

Not too much on this, tried to find some actual history I did find this but the link to the rest of the history was dead...

MONSON STATE HOSPITAL

Monson State Developmental Center in Palmer, Ma. was originally the home of the Monson Sanitarium. The State Hospital itself is still in operation and there are over 40 buildings on the property, most being used as offices, etc. The original two buildings of the sanitarium were built in the late 1700's and have not been used since the early 1950's. They were originally used to house the criminally insane. These two buildings, long abandoned, stand on the back of the property and still contain apparatus used to restrain former patients, as they are bolted to floors and walls, such as chairs used to restrain violent patients, bathtubs equipped with wrist and neck shackles, shackles bolted into walls, and the like.
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Welcome to the GV Matt!

Not too much on this, tried to find some actual history I did find this but the link to the rest of the history was dead...

MONSON STATE HOSPITAL

Monson State Developmental Center in Palmer, Ma. was originally the home of the Monson Sanitarium. The State Hospital itself is still in operation and there are over 40 buildings on the property, most being used as offices, etc. The original two buildings of the sanitarium were built in the late 1700's and have not been used since the early 1950's. They were originally used to house the criminally insane. These two buildings, long abandoned, stand on the back of the property and still contain apparatus used to restrain former patients, as they are bolted to floors and walls, such as chairs used to restrain violent patients, bathtubs equipped with wrist and neck shackles, shackles bolted into walls, and the like.

I live literally 1/2 mile away from Monson State and it is NOT allowable to go "sightseeing" there!!! It is stil State property and you WILL get ticketed with tresspassing.....unless you park somewhere down by my apartment and hike up there. I have to drive by it daily and just the mere presence of those buildings just fills me with dread...

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Here at Ghostvillage, we always encourage members who are going to reputed paranormal locations to follow the local laws and not trespass.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:39 PM

Sounds like a really creepy place! :blush:
And I agree, tresspassing is a no-no. There's loads of haunted, abandoned places I'd love to break into, but I have to respect the law (kicks dirt with hands in pockets). :ghost:

#7 mattb

mattb

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

i live in a town over from this place. i have heard a story from someone who worked at Monson State Hospital that one of the buildings was burned down because one of the "patients" escaped, went wild, and killed a lot of people. No one could stop him so they had to lock the place up with the patient inside and burn it down. i drive past the abandoned hospital from time to time because it is a shortcut to the Masspike and I get a very strange feeling everytime. My brother went up their with some friends in the fall and he reported hearing alot of stragne noises along with shrieks and screams. very scary place no matter what time of day u venture up there.

#8 Kruzy13

Kruzy13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting.. obviously, Off-roading, working on cars.

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

I live in Wilbraham and ive been up their with a few friends at one point. Parked across the street at whatever buildings they have their. Gotta say its pretty creapy, but didn't see anything. Went walking inside... VERY dangerous place... loose floor boards, and holes all over the place. Took some pics and saw a few things that was real odd.... want to go back sometime... just need some people willing... ill post pics next time i go thier.... i have a "connection" to help me with law enforcement... so ill see what i can do...

Also noticed they take video at random spots... not sure if thier real camaers... but noticed it.

I've also been down that little road where there are like 4-5 abandoned houses.... the story of where kids were lift in the basement, chained to the floor.... thats a little creapier... seeing as the chains are still in the floor..lol
I may sound like an a$$, and seem like im totally doubting you, but I'm just getting the facts and stating my thoughts, who nows... You may well be wrong. I can be sarcastic.. Okay... Im VERY sarcastic.The best thing about ghost hunting, is having a Jeep to offroad and get somwhere with!

#9 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

Sounds an eerie place, however as mentioned it seems its very unsafe, I certainly wouldnt wanna go there alone or unprotected whether its out of bounds or not

:Spaz:

#10 Kruzy13

Kruzy13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting.. obviously, Off-roading, working on cars.

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

Sounds an eerie place, however as mentioned it seems its very unsafe, I certainly wouldnt wanna go there alone or unprotected whether its out of bounds or not

:(

Yea, when i went to the asylum itself i was with my friend and his g/f and it was during the day so we could see any hazardess spots... and like i said, thier were quite a few. The houses off to the side my first time i went there was with 2 other guys and a girl.... and i gotss say, at night those houses are creepy. You feel as if you're being watched the whole time.

BAD_WORD.. I GOTTA GO BACK!!!...lol

j/p
I may sound like an a$$, and seem like im totally doubting you, but I'm just getting the facts and stating my thoughts, who nows... You may well be wrong. I can be sarcastic.. Okay... Im VERY sarcastic.The best thing about ghost hunting, is having a Jeep to offroad and get somwhere with!

#11 Cherise

Cherise

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:35 PM

(I left this same post on its own thread but I was told to repost to a thread already talking about it) Butt, I just went to Monson State Hospital yesterday. It seemed as though all the buildings were in use and there were alot of people around. I was only able to see about 3 abandoned houses randomly spread around but I didnt go up to them because of all the people...I didnt want them to suspect me or something. I only saw one of the hospital buildings that was wasnt in use because when I looked in the door the walls were pealing and it wasnt in use. But all of the other buildings had like boxes and such stored in there and I was not sure what they were doing...I thought it was going to be more deserted up there and I was expecting more of the buildings to be untouched. Also on the other side of the road there were about 3 different roads leading up, with gates and a bunch of "No Trespassing" signs along with a sign threatening that there was cameras. I didnt go up there but I was very curious...has anyone else been up there disreguarding the no trespassing signs? If so whats up there? Also Does anyone know what they are doing with all of those buildings? I know some of it was supposed to be a Development Center but I didnt know they were using almost all of the buildings that you ARE allowed to go up to...I am kind of new to this I have always been interested in abandoned places like this but I just recently started going to them and I'm just looking for some answers and someone to talk about this stuff with =)

#12 gina2688

gina2688

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

On July 30, 2008 my buddy Mike and I took a trip up to Monson State Hospital. We parked at the new Monson Developmental Center and walked across the street to the location of the abandoned buildings. Anyways, right from the get go the place was creepy. I felt like I was in the movie I Am Legend because the road and the buildings were completely overgrown with nature. Mind you the night was dark and we couldnít see three feet in front of us so the buildings kind of snuck up on us. The first building we saw on the right was too overgrown to enter, at least during the summer, so we continued down the road. The second building we saw on the left was an old house. We walked in through the porch and poked around on the first floor, but it was decrepit and pretty dangerous so we didnít stay in there long. The third building we saw on the right looked identical to the first building we saw, except this one was not as overgrown as the first. After a lot of coaxing we went in and explored everything from the basement/boiler room to the third floor. Itís obvious that locals pass through frequently because there is graffiti all over the walls, which is pretty unfortunate. As we were proceeding through the building Iím holding my video camera in one hand, a beer tap lever in the other (just in case I needed to fight off some crazy bum), and Mike was in charge of the flashlight. Nothing too crazy happened while we were there, only a random bird flying around in the basement, and a lot of bats on the third floor, but when I watched the footage I shot later when I went home I discovered two unexplainable sightings. Both incidents happened while we were on the third floor. The first encounter happened at 29:54 into the tape. You hear me say ‚ÄúHuh what was that‚ÄĚ and immediately following my statement you can clearly see an orb soar by. About a minute later at 30:59 you see yet another orb soar by the camera. Now I think the noise I heard was a frog because we were hearing weird noises all night, but the timing was impeccable. Iíd love to post the video so I could get some feedback and maybe an explanation for my find, but Iím not sure how or where to upload it. If anyone knows how let me know. Also I believe that the building we explored was definitely a part of the hospital, but I think that the main building is further into the woods. I would love to go back and explore some more, but I will probably wait until the fall when the growth begins to die some. Other than that this was still an awesome adventure.

Edited by Crone, 19 August 2008 - 05:52 AM.

#13 RIC13INWARREN

RIC13INWARREN

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

My Mom worked therefor 8yrs ie 1970"s nightshift and use to tell my step Dad storys about what went on there!!!!! I was in my teens then..Talk about some scary stuff!!!I had nightmares just thing about what she had said..SHE HAD ENOUGH in 78/79 and left after getting beatup by inmate there!
it is still open..parts anyway...

#14 balo

balo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

Very interesting and scary place. Sounds like a tragic place also with all that's happened there. I'll check it out in the internet for more info and hoefully some photos.

#15 Cat51981

Cat51981

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

(I left this same post on its own thread but I was told to repost to a thread already talking about it) Butt, I just went to Monson State Hospital yesterday. It seemed as though all the buildings were in use and there were alot of people around. I was only able to see about 3 abandoned houses randomly spread around but I didnt go up to them because of all the people...I didnt want them to suspect me or something. I only saw one of the hospital buildings that was wasnt in use because when I looked in the door the walls were pealing and it wasnt in use. But all of the other buildings had like boxes and such stored in there and I was not sure what they were doing...I thought it was going to be more deserted up there and I was expecting more of the buildings to be untouched. Also on the other side of the road there were about 3 different roads leading up, with gates and a bunch of "No Trespassing" signs along with a sign threatening that there was cameras. I didnt go up there but I was very curious...has anyone else been up there disreguarding the no trespassing signs? If so whats up there? Also Does anyone know what they are doing with all of those buildings? I know some of it was supposed to be a Development Center but I didnt know they were using almost all of the buildings that you ARE allowed to go up to...I am kind of new to this I have always been interested in abandoned places like this but I just recently started going to them and I'm just looking for some answers and someone to talk about this stuff with =)

I know someone who has worked at Monson State for 30 years. There are signs that say Camera Monitoring of the sight but according to her, that is not true. They were put there to keep trespassers away, but in fact are not in use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users