Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

Any thoughts on Derek Acorah's new show???

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

I miss Ghost Hunters -- they seemed better at explaining what the heck they were doing and what the results actually were. Are they still on and I'm just not finding them? :ghost:

They had a marathon on SciFi last week. I think they revving up for a new season.

And I see what you meen about Derek and crew, but like I said there isn't much else on on Friday.
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#17 HighwayFlower

HighwayFlower

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:50 AM

There have been 4 Ghost Hunters in a row for the last 2 Wednsdays. Having never seen them before, I am hooked!! I love how they are believers, yet try to disprove everthing. Gives them a lot of credibility.

#18 sheba

sheba

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:45 AM

I miss Ghost Hunters -- they seemed better at explaining what the heck they were doing and what the results actually were. Are they still on and I'm just not finding them? :clap:

The new season of Ghost Hunters is starting on March 29. Yay! :clap:

#19 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:18 AM

:whee: Am very much looking forward to the new season of Ghost Hunters . . . and I will admit, I bought the first season on DVD!

But as this is the Derek Acorah string, I thought I'd do a little research about him with a Google search. Went to wikipedia, and it was pretty informative . . . though the disputes section was really interesting. If it's true, it's pretty funny:

Part of it is: -- On the 28 October 2005 Dr. Ciaran O'Keeffe, Most Haunted's parapsychologist, launched an attack on Derek Acorah telling The Mirror newspaper that "In my professional opinion we're not dealing with a genuine medium. When Derek is possessed he is doing it consciously - all we are seeing is showmanship and dramatics."

In an article on James Randi's site, O'Keeffe further elaborated, saying that he mentioned made-up characters to Acorah, such as a South African jailer named Kreed Kafer (an anagram of "Derek Faker") and a highwayman named Rik Eedles ("Derek Lies"). Acorah went on to become "possessed" by the former character, and sensed the presence of the latter. --

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Derek_Acorah

So I think when I watch Most Haunted, I'll watch it like a lot of you -- for entertainment purposes, and if part of it is more serious, I'll take it as such when it appears. :ghost:

Edited by autumnbelle, 01 March 2006 - 09:19 AM.

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#20 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

Voted most likely to be a janitor in Highschool

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

Due to my lack of cable, I've never caught an episode of "Ghost Hunters". From what I hear though, they seem to have it all together and have a really great show. If the show is anything like their website (which I think is excellent and really informative), I can see myself buying Season 1 of their show.

I know I've touched on in past posts about how I think reality-based ghost shows can be a little embellished and at times a bit silly. This was never meant to include "Ghost Hunters" though because I think it's a great show. I know this is hypocritical of me since I've never actually seen the show, but from the clips I've seen on the website, it looks really awesome to me.
I think I've only said that "Most Haunted", "Ghost towns", and "Dead Tenants" were silly. Now I'm feeling paranoid. Maybe I should go back through 600 posts!
Besides, if I ever met anyone from "Most Haunted", it wouldn't be a personal thing. It's not like I don't like the people. I just think the show is silly. :ghost:

#21 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

Nah - you aren't being hypocritical . . . you're just trusting your instincts and assuming the rest of the show is like the clips you have seen. And you are so very right. Ghost Hunters is really well put together, and they don't seem silly or overdone. Occassionaly they do have the odd camera angle, or sped up film for effect, but it's not the main part of the show, and it isn't done to convince you a place is haunted. Plus, when they are filming in the dark, they show it in black and white, not green - it's a small thing, but it realllllllly keeps it looking more legitimate and less alienish. :)

#22 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

Man, this sounds awesome! I've got to see this show! :)

(picks up phone to dial cable company.....)

#23 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

My daughter (she is 9) and I love both his shows. I don't know how much I believe is true and how much is just show...they do want ratings after all. But I tend to not take ghost shows to seriously anyway because of the fact that they want ratings and unless I am really there, I can't make judgements about a ghost hunt.

But I find both Derek's shows entertaining and that is why I watch TV...to be entertained. My daughter and I also think Derek is a hottie and love listening to his voice!!
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#24 ensorcel

ensorcel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Everything Paranormal. I'm currently studying psychology, history, parapsychology and religious studies. I love music, reading, researching and ghost hunting. I'm obsessed with Most Haunted.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

I love Derek. He can have my babies. (I'm asking for it here, aren't I?). But the show (Ghost Towns) was a drag. It's based all on hearsay and there isn't enough actual investigation. I do like the part where he randomly stops in at someones home, but other than that I think I'll stick to Most Haunted. Most Haunted is far more excellent in my opinion.

EDIT: Up here in Nova Scotia, we don't get Ghost Hunters. I'm hearing good things about it as well, which is a total letdown that we don't get it.

Edited by ensorcel, 13 March 2006 - 05:57 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Grim Undertakings

Grim Undertakings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:02 PM

I love Derek. He can have my babies. (I'm asking for it here, aren't I?). But the show (Ghost Towns) was a drag. It's based all on hearsay and there isn't enough actual investigation. I do like the part where he randomly stops in at someones home, but other than that I think I'll stick to Most Haunted. Most Haunted is far more excellent in my opinion.

EDIT: Up here in Nova Scotia, we don't get Ghost Hunters. I'm hearing good things about it as well, which is a total letdown that we don't get it.

Hi ensorcel,
I never thought I'd see someone on here that lived so close to me! I live in Halifax, by the Metro Centre.

#26 sheba

sheba

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:01 AM

:) After watching an hour of Most Haunted on Fridays (the episodes with Derek Acorah), followed by a whole hour of Derek in his Haunted Towns show is almost too much Derek for one night for me. I find him extremely entertaining and although I don't doubt his psychic abilities, it is obvious that he plays up to the camera for entertainment's sake. I feel he goes overboard at times, however. His histrionics are funny: like when he collapses after a seance or after channeling a spirit, and we see the crew rushing over to hold him up, walk him around and towel him off, so to speak - I find that scenario a scream -- kinda reminiscent of old video clips I've seen of soul singer James Brown when, in the heat of a song, he collapses on the floor, writhes around and screams for someone to "help him" and then a stage hand will come and help James off the floor, throw his sequin cape over his shoulders and mop his forehead with a towel as he lead him off the stage. And with all due respect to Derek ('cos I do like Derek) -- all Derek needs is a gold sequin cape and maybe a couple of a flashy rings to complete his TV persona... :)

#27 jenbrown

jenbrown

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:Haunted anything, movies and Disney!

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:35 AM

I love Most Haunted but I don't know about Ghost Towns. The annoying woman makes Yvette look cool! I'll still watch it because I am gullible and believe in Derek although he has given false information. I still do believe he has skills. Plus he is entertaining. I just can't get into people believing everything with out any evidence other than Derek's account. At least there should be some evidence of what Derek's said by corroborating it with records like Most Haunted. But then that's why we watch Most Haunted instead. Well as long as there is nothing better on Fridays at 10 pm I will keep watching it.

But I can't wait until March 29th! T.A.P.S. rules!
"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat. Call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!Rap on a table, it’s time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine! Creepies and crawlies... toads in a pond! Let there be music from regions beyond.Wizards and witches, wherever you dwell – give us a hint by ringing a bell!" Madame Leota

#28 ensorcel

ensorcel

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Everything Paranormal. I'm currently studying psychology, history, parapsychology and religious studies. I love music, reading, researching and ghost hunting. I'm obsessed with Most Haunted.

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

I agree that, though his ability may be real, his showmanship is indeed in full force. But that's what makes him fun. The fact that he has his critics who say he isn't psychic makes me sad. The fact that Most Haunted is under suspicion also makes me terribly upset.

Most Haunted has its criticism.

Edited by ensorcel, 14 March 2006 - 09:15 PM.

Posted Image

#29 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

Well -- I've given ole Derek a couple more chances, and when I watch it as entertainment instead of 'serious' ghost reality show, it is pretty fun to watch.

The best part about his shows is still the locations, though. I'd love to see him in a serious moment because I do think he's tuned into the spiritual realm. Might have to meet him person for that, though. And if I do, I'll send him your way Ensorcel! :lol:

(Can you imagine TAPS meets Derek Acorah?) :ghost:

#30 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

I don't think Derek has given false information, its just that info he has given they don't have in their research.

Although, I found it interesting in the last episode that he had images of gypsies and there is a gypsy photo in another room. Also, he started describing images and facts about a woman who the pop-up info thing said is a fictional character in a book that was written in that house.
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users