• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 03 March 2006 - 05:25 AM

Do you have any superstions that is driving you? Care to share? Mascots? myths? Beliefs?

I do associate a lot of good luck with the gold ring my mom gave me. It has two hairs from the elephants tail on it. I am kinda fanatically associating luck with this ring.

So, what is your's?
Posted Image

#2 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

Neat topic, MoonChild!

Hmm...let's see. For me, I get hung-up on the letter '3', lately. I've heard it has negative connotations, so I stay away from it.

One of mine also has to do with a ring. I wear my engagement rings (yes, I have two...long story) at all times. I absolutely cannot take them off for any reason. If I do, I feel I will break the good "love spell" I've got going with my fiance.

Oh, my mother taught me this one...whenever we talk on the phone, we absolutely must say 'I love you' at the end of our conversations because, if we don't, something bad could befall us. It's happened numerous times where we just forget to say "I love you" to eachother and we end up calling eachother back to say it.

Not your average superstitions, I suppose. But, superstitions, none-the-less.

Anyone else?

Viv

#3 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:comparative religions, paganism, the occult, the paranormal, my cats and dogs.

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

Uhm.....

I'm fanatical about spilling salt. If you spill the stuff.....better throw it over your shoulder to avoid bad luck.

I don't walk under ladders...same thing.

I say bless you when someone sneezes....coz when you sneeze you let evil into your soul unless you push it away with a bless you. (I even say 'bless me' when I neeze and I'm alone.)

If I mess coffee in the morning....I KNOW I'm going to have a bad day.

Always knock on wood if I say something good is in progress. Like sealing a bargain and not tempting fate.

And yes...I know I'm neurotic!

:hug:
Posted ImageIn Shadows and StormsShadowStorm

#4 MaryKelly

MaryKelly

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:51 AM

I love reading about Superstition's, I do only tend to focus on the good one's though, here are some of my favorite's:

If your right palm itches, it is a sign of getting money.

Twitching eye means good luck

See a penny, pick it up; all day long you’ll have good luck.

If you make a wish while throwing a coin into a well or fountain, the wish will come true. ( I love wishing well's I think they're so romantic)

And my own sources of good luck are:

The number 9.

Thursday has always been my lucky day.

I have always had an angel keychain for every set of car key's I've ever owned, driving on the road now a day's can be so dangerous, I like to think there are angel's riding with me.

And lastly, shortly before my Mother passed away we purchased matching gold necklaces with crosses, we wore them everyday, when she passed I placed mine around her neck and her's around mine, I never remove it for any reason, I feel it is a form of her protecting me and a secret bond that keeps us united.

oft'time when I'm sad at heart this flow'r has giv'n me joy;So while life does remain in memoriam I'll retain,This small violet I pluck'd from mother's grave

#5 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:45 AM

My mom told me this one awhile ago and it stuck with me. I don't believe it up it pops in my head all the time.

If you kill a spide then you will have bad luck.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

who else, who else?
Posted Image

#7 spelling

spelling

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:04 PM

i hate to break a mirror! :ghost:

#8 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Never miss coffee in the morning, I think the world would end if that happened, lol. Everytime I see a penny, I pick it up. I never walk under ladders and I don't open an umbrella indoors. I get spooked if a black cat crosses my path, especially when one runs across the road in front of my car even though nothing bad has happened because of the black cat. When I am anticipating news, I keep my fingers crossed. Always make a wish before blowing out those birthday candles and I make sure I blow them all out or my wish won't come true. I always notice when Friday lands on the 13th even though nothing bad happens on that day to me. My lucky number is 7, probably because I was the 7th (and last) child born in my family. I also think the number 13 is lucky for me. One last one and it is unique. Back when I was little, a truck pulling a huge load of bails of hay went past us on the road and my mother yelled, "quick, make a wish". To this day, when I see those rectangular bails of hay being pulled around by a tractor or truck, I make a wish. My husband laughs to this day because he grew up on a farm and has never heard of that superstition.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#9 saralove_23

saralove_23

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

i have this thing, you should never split a pole when walking on a group of two or more i think it's bad luck. oooh and the spilling salt thing.
but I don't have a problem with black kitties crossing my path, cat's are to mystical (in my opinion) to be bad luck.

#10 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

LOL I get superstitious just talking about superstitions :)
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:27 AM

ok, now Boo is talking!
Posted Image

#12 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:57 AM

I grew up with alot of the same superstitions that you guys did. We did the salt over the shoulder thing, knocking on wood, and so on. This reminds me of a time when I was a little kid. THe family was at a resteraunt, and my brothers and I were fooling around with the salt. We would purposly slipp some so we could throw it over our shoulders. Well, one older brother (the middle one. I'm the youngest of 3) throws the salt over his shoulder and into the head os a bald man sitting behind us! We thought it was so funny at the time.

Hey! Maybe that's why all 3 of us are now loosing(ok, already lost) our hair. :whee:

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 09 March 2006 - 04:58 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#13 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:04 AM

We don't do superstitutions in this house but someone taught my son that you don't pick up a penny on tails or it will bring bad luck. In November he picked one up, that Sunday night his God-Father had to have a skin-graft due to a woodstove accident. That took a lot of time to explain to my son that he was not at fault, he did not cause the accident.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#14 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

My superstitions:
- dropping anything gives me a feeling that something will go wrong. Particulary paperclips and scissors. I upturned a basket of paperclips once and nearly had a heart attack with fear for what would happen. I think I broke up with a boyfriend shortly after. I used to collect all of the paperclips I found on the ground for good luck, but all I ended up with was hundreds of paperclips that I could drop by mistake. So I only use them when absolutely necessary.
- if something goes wrong while I'm preparing for my day, the magnitude of it shows how bad will be my day. For example, dropping the toast butter side down means a crappy day ahead, unless there's nothing sticking to it when I pick it up.
- I avoid people with certain names, because experience has taught me to. I no longer date Chris's, regardless of the spelling of the name. Ditto Larrys, Jons, Davids, Rons, and Peters. I don't work well with Andrews. Sue's and I don't mix.

The usual stuff, walking on cracks, under ladders, by black cats, doesn't phase me.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#15 frither

frither

Had delusions of being Superwoman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Interests:Being the honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriendwife to Mystic Hippy, being the sister to Bear Dude, computer-generated art, reading darn near anything I can get my hands on, all aspects of the paranormal, being supportive and understanding when my husband communes with noncorporeals that I personally can't see or hear and dancing like no one else is watching.

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:21 AM

I'm not superstitious in the usual, traditional way but I do have a few quirks (and the crowd gasps and intones "say it isn't so!") ;)

1. There are certain songs that if I hear unexpectedly on the radio or something that I'm not actively in control of, like playing a CD on my computer, bring me luck.

2. There is a belief that I grew up with that says whatever you are doing at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve is what you'll be doing for the entire year. Whatever works <g> ;)

Of course, there's those misguided, mis-informed souls out there that say that my belief in the pararnormal and in the spirit world constitutes superstition on the grandest scale but I just smile and go on, knowing that their REFUSAL to believe is based on superstition :ghost:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users