The Excercise Thread

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:54 AM

I purchased a new bicycle the other day. Nothing fancy, just a simple Raodmaster Mt. Fury, from Wal-Mart. It only set me back $54. I haven't really road on a regular basis since I was 18. Thats 10 years now. I miss riding, and being outside. As of late I've spent too much time indoors. And as I get closer to 30 it's getting harder to stay in good shape.

So I'm starting this thread for two reasons. To have a place for others to share their own struggles in the battle of the bulge (or pass along tips to others), and to keep me on my toes. Well, that seems more like 3 reasons.

I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight. I've always been a big dude, and if I ever dip below 215 lbs, I'll start to worry. Currently I'm 250 lbs. I'd like to be around 235lbs. I have alot of upper body strength, but the gut is getting out of control. Not to mention, with my family medical history I need to start on the cardio. And bike riding is my favorite way to do that.

So the plan is to ride every morning (weather permitting, but I also have a stationary bike) and keep up on the weightlifting 3 days a weak.

So there is my story. What are some of the other Villagers doing to keep in shape?

P.S.

I took my first ride today. MAN!!! It ain't as easy as it used to be. I'm gonna feel that in my legs and backside tomorrow! LOL. But I'll get back in good condition soon.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 12 March 2006 - 10:51 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

I do not have a "bulge" :D, but I guess I need to get back to my exercize ways. I haven't had a regular exercize for the past 4 years or so, so for precautionary health reasons, I am joining a gymnasium soon after I move out, by the end of this month.

Hiya Dukie, all the best with your exercize regime!
Posted Image

#3 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

I have a weight bench and free weights. I normally work out hard for a few months then start to slack off here and there. I am at about 200lbs. I have always been a small guy, all hrough school and a few years after. I finally reached the 200 mark over the past few years....that a big deal for me.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#4 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:29 AM

I usually just crank up the radio real loud and go nuts for the aerobic workout. :D
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#5 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:29 PM

I use to walk a lot and ride my bike. I really need to start back with that. Once spring is here my bike is coming out of the locker that's for sure.
Posted Image

#6 MaryKelly

MaryKelly

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

I walk or run to stay in shape, couple of miles everyday, weather permitting of course like you said Duke, and watch what I eat, no salt is number one with me with all the stress related stuff that goes on in my life last thing I need is to add to high blood pressure with that, and lots of fruit and veggies not only are they good for you, but they make you feel really energized as well. :clap:
oft'time when I'm sad at heart this flow'r has giv'n me joy;So while life does remain in memoriam I'll retain,This small violet I pluck'd from mother's grave

#7 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

We'll all have to put picture up of our progress
Posted Image

#8 Ambra

Ambra

Should not travel without a map

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, of course, reading, arts and crafts, particularly cross-stitch, movies.

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

I do yoga or tai chi in massage class a couple of times a week and just working at wal-mart standing on my feet 8 hours, lifting heavy stuff, etc., has helped firm up some of my muscles. I tend to get bored with most excercise, though.
I got smacked by aloha spirit!Posted Image

#9 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

I work as a fitness trainer so ofcourse I do it on a daily basis, my personal workout regimine is alot of Cardio and most importantly*as Ambra pointed out* is that I change it up daily as to not get bored or lose interest. Crunches, jogging, strapping on my ipod and jamming out while on my treadmill and my most favorite new addiction...kick boxing :weeee: Great for stress and getting all your aggression out, I highly recommend it!

Keep up the good work Duke :)
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#10 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

I took another quick ride after work today. I woke uo late this morning, so I didn't get it in. But I went out after work, before the rain started. I didn't want to mess up the routine one day into it. It was tough though. My legs were still tired from yesterday. But I muscled through it.

THE TRAINING THE PRAYERS AND THE VITAMINS!!!!!! WHATCHA GONNA DO BROTHER!!!

*Duke does his best Hulk Hogan flex, and tears off his shirt.*
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

#11 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:36 AM

I signed the kids up for a family gym class and I take part in some of it (I am not playing tag with inside on a hard floor with that many little ones under my feet). The best part is that is on the way we pass a bike trail that I promised the kids that once the weather is nice we'll start walking it or loading our bikes and riding it. Yesterday it was raining so couldn't. I also no longer have a desk job, I'm taking care of 4 ladies and with the house work I'm running on and down the stairs a lot for them and when it gets nice I'll be taking them to the park sometimes.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#12 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

I try taking the stairs in my apartment building
Posted Image

#13 Noelle1966

Noelle1966

Uses WD-40 for evil purposes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Animals, ice skating, pets, animal issues, historical societies, travelling, and of course - ghost hunting.

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:29 AM

I am so glad that you started this thread, Duke. I used to be so active. I was a former gymnast and gymnastics teacher. I tried to do a backbend the other night and my arms could not support me! I was so disappointed! I do a lot of hiking in a lovely forest that we have in town. In addition, my coworker and I walk at lunch time everyday. It really helps the back of my legs, but I am looking to improve every where else. I have started back with crunches so I am not extremely worried about my stomach. I also take belly dancing class once a week. Wish I could take it more. I am looking for good arm exercises. I think that is where my biggest problem is.
The reason that a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue.Do unto others, then run.Life's messy. Clean it up.

#14 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

Duke,

I took your idea and bought a bike today for myself. I think I had enough exercise trying to get it in the back seat of the car, forgot I didn't drive the wagon.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#15 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

That's great Masq! Meet me up here, and we'll ride the trails togther.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users