The Excercise Thread

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 ShadowStorm

ShadowStorm

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:comparative religions, paganism, the occult, the paranormal, my cats and dogs.

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

Sheesh....getting into shape.

Hmn...what an issue for me.

I have thyroid disease, so I've been battling weight issues for the last ten years. I had an overactive thyroid, they did the radiation thing, overdosed me, and now it's severely underactive.....no, scrap that, it's dead. I have no normal metabolic function of my own at all, just to keep any sort of metabolic function at all, I'm on 16 times the normal dose of thyroid hormone because I've developed THR (Thyroid hormone resistance). This is so bad that my body keeps all metabolic function to keep my heart, brain, lungs, liver, kidneys etc going. That's been worse the last four months, and recently, I've been told, even at 30 years, I have premature ovarian failure, because my bod just doesn't have the metabolic function required to keep non essential organs going. Great, I'm menopausing, I'm 30, and I'm turning into a man. Jokes aside, this is serious stuff. If my body becomes more resistant to the hormone, I will die. I had a bit of a rough time a little while ago, dealing with my own mortality and what not.

And then I decided enough was enough.

Recently, I saw a dietician, because I am SICK and TIRED of battling. And she told me that starving myself is BAD. Yes, dear, I knew this. But even if I looked at a lettuce leaf, I'd pick up weight. So I developed this evil fear of food in any form. She reckons that my body was so starved, and having no metabolic function at all (seriously), that it conserved everything that went into my mouth.

And theoretically, metabolism is like lighting a fire. Once it's lit, you need to keep chucking twigs onto it to keep it burning.

So now...she's attempting to teach me NOT to be scared of food.

She's making me eat 5 times a day...which is a disgusting amount of food to me. But I'm trying. Basically I've had anorexia, minus the weight loss because of the metabolism. Food is terrifying.

The professor of endocrinology looking after me, told me the weight wouldn't come off and that I was setting myself and the dietician up for a fall.

So anyway...don't challenge the stormwitch. (not when he looks like a bald qtip slash pencil himself). So 6 weeks ago I started this 'eating plan' where I had to unlearn everything and just start eating. Good food...but the 5 times a day. Hard to do, when you've been starving yourself for ten years with no results.

I've done the normal exercise like walking, I tried Taebo, tried everything, and I've been friends with every single diet product on the market. which only made me sick and the weight still stayed.

A few days ago, people started saying things like....you're looking smaller....are you sick??? I'm like...."what???"

Anyhoo....I don't see any body change. But the comments are encouraging. l went a bit mad yesterday and got sorted. New yoga blocks and mat, a trampoline, and an ab king pro.

This is my new mission. I'm going to try again.

Even if nothing does happen weight wise, I'm feeling better.

I'm still struggling to eat five times a day, but I'm getting there.

My boss at work has been awesome. "It's time to eat!" she yells, every three hours. I've been on vacation though for two weeks, so I have to set my alarm to go off every few hours.

I'm still trying to teach myself that food is a good thing.

Ugh.

My goal is to at least attempt to look good by October.

Wish me luck.
Posted ImageIn Shadows and StormsShadowStorm

#62 Central Valley Investigator

Central Valley Investigator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Investigating for about 8 years. Worked with Loyd Auerbach, Stach Murray and few others. Was part of the USS Hornet investigative team.

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:37 AM

2 mile run 5 days a week followed by every other day working difference muscle groups. I have a gym membership but dont really use it, I feel a lil intimidated with all the big muscleheads flexin up LOL!!! I work out at home :ghost:

I didnt use to but had a heart attack at 35, now at 38 its important to take care of my body. Ive lost 70+ lbs, in great shape and sad as it may seem Im glad it happened, I would of never changed my ways and continued down that path of self destruction.

Edited by Central Valley Investigator, 14 May 2006 - 12:40 AM.

#63 spooksareus

spooksareus

Graceful leader of men who harvests wheat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Interests:Healthy friends, supernatural science (oxy morans, lol!), cooking & baking, all animals, playing music (mostly jazz), art (all mediums), interesting & open minded people, truth, justice and liberal politics...

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

2 mile run 5 days a week followed by every other day working difference muscle groups. I have a gym membership but dont really use it, I feel a lil intimidated with all the big muscleheads flexin up LOL!!! I work out at home :Spaz:

I didnt use to but had a heart attack at 35, now at 38 its important to take care of my body. Ive lost 70+ lbs, in great shape and sad as it may seem Im glad it happened, I would of never changed my ways and continued down that path of self destruction.

:ghost: Good on ya' C.V. ! Sometimes it takes agreat deal to get it, eh?
I feel off of a roof onto the pavement head first 20 months ago and It's funny to say it but my life is finally my own because of all the things I had to deal with after the fall, the biggest one being learning to take care of myself first instead of everone else. Only took me 41 years to learn that one! :ghost:

I do yoga to keep in shape and walk my midget dogs...

"It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true." -Oscar Wilde “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users