Supernatural Short Stories

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#196 v-huntley

v-huntley

Provides a GREAT example!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:superstitions, cryptzoology, ghosts and anything else paranormal.

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:13 AM

i thought it was really creepy.

V

#197 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:18 AM

Ive heard this many times before, never gets old. here is my favorite babysitter story. I didnt write this, it came from snopes.

--------
A couple with children were trying out a new babysitter. About an hour after they left for a night on the town, they realized they had forgotten to give her their cell phone number, so one of them called her.

After she wrote down the number, the babysitter asked if she could watch satellite TV in their bedroom. She had just put the children to bed and wanted to watch a particular show. (The parents didn't want their children watching too much garbage, so the living room TV did not have satellite channels.)

Well of course she could watch TV in their room, they replied. The babysitter had one other request: could she put a sheet or blanket over the clown statue that was in the bedroom? It kind of made her nervous.

Take the children and go to the neighbors, said whichever parent was talking to her. We'll call the police. We don't have a clown statue.

The police caught the clown as he was running through the neighborhood.

#198 lulaboo

lulaboo

Beware of her lil' redneck girl rage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts
  • Interests:too many to list

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

Sorry it's been awhile since I got on this thread and I'll be the first to say I'm a hack who suffers more writers block than I rightly should. And with that said I have to point out that everyone is going to be their own worst critic for whatever reason we can imagine! Even if I think I'm awful and I'm still going to give it a shot and I'll be darned if anyone here should think any less of their own talent to not try for themselves at least once, twice or even three times! Everybody here has alot of talent as far as I'm concerned!! :blush:

Here's one pretty good link to a list of contests that I found. I do suggest everyone who considers entering in a contest to have a look at the warning and cautions about entering some contests.
http://www.manuscrip...om/contests.htm

Here's one that I'm trying out (their deadline is June15th)
http://www.bradymagazine.com/

Warnings and cautions link
http://www.sfwa.org/...e/contests.html

Tips on writing.
http://writers-edito...t_tip_sheet.htm

For the most part what I've been doing is typing in the keywords "writing contests" as well as "writing jobs" to try and find something that I feel comfortable with. (There's alot of stuff to sort through on those searches B) ) You can also further specify to fit your preference or category to help refine your search.
Also check to see if any magazines you enjoy reading has an area on their site that takes any submissions from their readers. Most of them do and there are a few on line-zines and genre sites that also take submissions. And I just now thought of this but your local newspaper site can possibly be a good tool to help you find something for contests.
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#199 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:32 AM

Good points Boo.
We are all our own worst critic. I wrote a story and forgot about it for years, then one day I picked it up and read it not realizing it was my work. I wondered who could write such a great story until I got about 1/4 of the way through and realized it was me, then I tore it up. lol

I tore it up as in criticized it heavily, but when I thought it was someone elses it was pretty good. I still have the story.

It takes a lot of perserverance to be a writer. You may get rejected 300 times before you have something published. A hint for those of you starting off trying the publishing game. Submit your stories to your local paper. Often they will publish it because you are a local. When you go to the big publishers it helps to have a list of stuff you have already have published. Don't submit the book you spent years on, submit smaller stories. The book is for the big guys.

Do not ever sign away the copyright on your work. You can lease it, rent it whatever, but maintain control.

Boo the way around writers block is to write the end first. Think of it as a trip. You know your destination you take out a map and you mark your route. Don't forget to include a few little sight seeing tours. lol

Good luck all of you!!!
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#200 lulaboo

lulaboo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the writers block tip Dave. I'm going to try that and see what happens! :wow:
Is it Peeps season yet?Gallon of citronella oil--$5.95Having said oil blessed by local Catholic priest--FreeThe look on a psychic vampires face after you douse it with blessed oil and call it a psychic mosquito--Priceless!!!There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#201 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the links Boo, your so awesome...and great advice, the both of you!

#202 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

Well....howdy everyone. I may not be on as much as I used to, I have to start going back to school on monday, So I probably won't find the time to get on, I may not even have the time to get on at all....probably just on the weekends...anyway, I will try to post, quite possibly, my last story sometime later and I hope that all the great contributors keep posting and keep this thread alive...and Thanks to all of you!!

#203 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:25 AM

I'm sorry to hear you won't be on as much, but keep writing!!! Make us all proud bone.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#204 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:38 AM

im gonna try and find as much time as i can to get on. I will also try to get more stuff posted and will definately keep writing...but only for myself

Edited by bonedaddy15, 25 March 2006 - 01:39 AM.

#205 lulaboo

lulaboo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,298 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:21 AM

Can't wait to see what's next you guys :whoohoo:

#206 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

:ghost: Gah, Im in the middle of a huge block. I can't write or draw any more. I've tried writing some stories for this post at school, but I just can't do it, they all suck....I don't like this at all!! :clap:

And how come nobody wants to post any more stories?...its so empty here.....

#207 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:03 AM

We were waiting for you to inspire us.lol

#208 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:06 AM

:) Gah, Im in the middle of a huge block. I can't write or draw any more. I've tried writing some stories for this post at school, but I just can't do it, they all suck....I don't like this at all!! :clap:

And how come nobody wants to post any more stories?...its so empty here.....

Relax, and don't force it. Inspiration will come in time. Keep your cool and be observent of the world around you. Before you know it something will trigger an idea.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 06 April 2006 - 06:06 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#209 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, but usually this stuff just hits me in the face, sort of. I don't have to be inspired, it just comes to me usually.

#210 Aireygrey

Aireygrey

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:47 AM

Heh, i had a really weird and vivid dream....and i thought, "hey that would make a good story..." so, im gonna try and make it into a really good short story and post it here!! so be on the look out for it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users