I'm going to try an investigation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

There is a cemetary in my area that has been reported to have paranormal activity. It's the oldest here, and no one has been buried in it for close to 30 years. I have known about this place since I was a kid as it is near where my father worked. I only knew about the paranormal stuff for the last few years though. A couple of weeks ago I went on a day trip with an old friend and she brought the place up in conversation. Her son had gone there and experienced something, as did a co-worker of hers. We decided we didn't have time to go that day, but would soon and check it out for ourselves. It seems that her son and co-worker both talked about how you can't hear any traffic noises, even though it's located in a busy place. I thought that since it's up on top of a hill, and woods around it, the noise is muffled or they went late at night, etc. Well, last Sunday, I was bored. Even though it was cold, the sun was out and it wasn't too bad. I grabbed my camera, and we both took flashlights since it was about 5:00 and we'd only have an hour of daylight. It is a very sparcely populated cemetary - and the stones are spread out pell mell. We did a lot of walking over bare ground to get to a single marker, etc. I snapped some shots, but doubt anything will be on them. It is a very peaceful place, in spite of all the traffic noises. I don't know if she got their stories wrong - about the times they were at the place - or if something was making the noise not be apparent. The last person buried there - that we could find - was in 1979. Before that the most recent dates were in the very early '60s. There are several with dob in the 1800s and dod in the first decade of the last century. Lots of stones that all the carving has worn completly away. It is not a full cemetery at all, not even half full. It's now in the industrial park, and located across from the railroad yard where my father worked. I have a feeling that people simply stopped using it because of the noise from trains and the diesel smell from them as well. When I was a kid, that side of the road was all hill and woods. Now those hills have all been torn down to make way for businesses. All but the cemetery, which gives it an odd look. There is a monument in the veteran's section. It's a mortar from the Civil War, and on a tower of about 8-10 feet tall, and made out of stone and mortar. I did get a few photos of that, as it was the one thing that I kept turning my head to look at, no matter where we were standing or walking. The ground was pretty soft and wet since the frost is going out now that it is warming up, so walking wasn't too easy in places. We stayed until dusk, and left agreeing that we'd have to come back when it warms up enough to be out there at night. (my arthritis makes cold weather a real bear)
I have read some posts here about equipment, and that will help. I just need to get a recorder - have the still camera and a video cam-corder. And I think we have a compass somewhere. I would like to ask just what the compass will show - energy fields? Is there any other type of stuff we should bring or do? Is there any time, date-wise that is better than others? Like, a full moon provides plenty of light, etc. I'm open to all suggestions.

One side note- the thing that really sticks with me is the litter there. I know that there is a local paranormal investigative group and they go up there, as well as folks like me who just want to check it out. I am just apalled at the lack of respect that people have, tossing water bottles, pop cans, and pizza boxes/food wrappers around the place. I realize that some of the stuff may have blown in from passing vehicles (which is still crummy behavior!), but there was stuff too far up the hill for that. It wasn't enough for it to indicate it's a party spot for kids - no beer cans, condoms, etc. I told my girlfriend that when we go again, I am bringing a garbage bag and rubber gloves - we are going to pick up the junk! I cannot imagine anything more disrespectful of the dead than tossing your garbage on them. Talk about getting bad karma!!

Edited by Redhead, 23 March 2006 - 10:31 AM.

"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#2 dan_nwmps

dan_nwmps

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

A compass needle should move abnormaly in the pressence of a megnetic field such as the ones believed t be around a spirit.
as far as respecting the site we always try to leave them better then when we come., garbage bag is a great idea.
as far as better times alot of people belive full moons are better as well as strong solar weather check out http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html
it has current solar weather as well as forcast..
again people beleive that the high magnetic fields sent by the sun during storms adds exccess energy to the atmosphere thus providing more energy for spirits. I have yet to see any hard data backing these theories up but i do make note of them days we are investigating.
Its also a good idea when investigating an ourdoor area is to check the pollen counts. alot of airbnorn pollen can cause false positive orbs.
I guess its most important just to go on a clear day with as little wind as possible.

Edited by dan_nwmps, 23 March 2006 - 10:50 AM.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."Lord Thomas DewarPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users