Beware of your plants

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 GhostCat

GhostCat

Certified husband trainer....guaranteed he won't track dirt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Travelling New England by land and sea, local history, houses - as I am a real estate appraiser, I teach Special Education too, love all the kids I work with... they teach me too, lol, and add lots of smiles to my day....my cats, my goffin cockatoo parrot that is loud, smart and talkative, walking, bicycling, skiing, ice hockey, watching the Patriots, the Bruins and the Red Sox (Woo Hoo.. Fenway Painters..My sister and brother in laws business that paint the Park and my nephew that paints the famous "green monster") lighthouses, antiques, gardening, trying new restaurants, classic movies (love Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock), big band music, laughing and being around others that like to laugh, ghost stories - I love to hear other peoples experiences as I have so many to tell myself.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

I do not have any indoor plants. My sister a couple of years ago bought a large potted plant, only to find that once she brought it home, a snake which was quietly asleep in the pot woke up and crept out into her living room. I have a terrible fear of snakes, as does she.

Anything is possible with plants and creatures laying eggs in/on them etc.

I love to garden, and all my plants are outside. When I come in, I wash my hands with hot hot water and lots of soap.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-- Robert A. Heinlein

#17 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:39 AM

Cringes well how about fruits or veggies.. i don't know it 's true but i was told of a black widow appearing from a vegatable ... so could that happen too :S luckly i don't keep plants i have no room in this apt and my groceries are fine too :ghost:

My brother once had a spider crawl out of a box of frosted flakes while he was pouring it into his bowl. The spider wasn't poisonous or even that big, but this brother still can't eat frosted flakes.

re fruits and vegies: All foreign fruits and vegetables (this includes those from Hawaii) must either be gassed or steamed before entering the continental US. In Hawaii, we most often resort to the gas chamber (I can't remember which gas is used).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#18 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:29 AM

I've been an indoor gardener for years. I check the soil of the plant carefully before I buy the plant. That said, I've had one problem of little catterpillars coming out of one plant pot. After a few months of killing whatever came out, the problem never returned. Another time I brought home some miniature violets to add to my collection. Then all of my miniature violets died. There must have been a bad virus in one of the new plants.

You do the best you can to buy carefully, but there's always a little bit of risk. I'm not going to give up gardening because of that risk. Any more than any of you would give up driving cars just because one of them had a faulty part. The benefits outweigh the risk in most cases.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#19 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

My mom once told me a story about imported veggies/fruits. This must have happened in the 70's. She knew a lady who was grocery shopping and was picking out bananas. As she was rummaging through a box of bananas, she happened upon a nice, big spider crawling amongst the bananas. :Wall:

Rules on imported fruits are probably stricter, now-a-days, like was mentioned previously in this thread: fruits and veggies coming into the country are probably gassed or something similar to prevent an influx of creepy crawlies who like to bite unsuspecting shoppers. I'm not sure. But, I haven't heard any real horror stories about imported spiders, etc. lately.

Still, gives me the creeps...

Viv

#20 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

My brother once had a spider crawl out of a box of frosted flakes while he was pouring it into his bowl. The spider wasn't poisonous or even that big, but this brother still can't eat frosted flakes.

My mother once playfully blew through a straw at my dad, and a baby spider flew out the end and landed on him. No big deal, but I always blow through any straw( NOT pointing at anyone), before I put it in my drink. I have both a spiritual affinity and scientific fascination with scorpions and spiders alike, but I don't want to ingest them, thanks!
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#21 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

........... and a baby spider flew out the end and landed on him.

:Wall:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users